Carrying while backpacking?

This is a discussion on Carrying while backpacking? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While backpacking or even day hiking, how do you carry? With a hip belt, I don't see how to carry on my waist (IWB or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Carrying while backpacking?

Carrying while backpacking?

While backpacking or even day hiking, how do you carry?
    With a hip belt, I don't see how to carry on my waist (IWB or OWB).
    Do you tuck it into a pocket and hope you can get it out in time?
    Do you hang your holster on your hip belt?
    I have been thinking about a leg holster but, again, don't want to draw attention from fellow hikers.
    CC or OC?

Second half, Is it legal to OC in state parks? National parks? BLM? National forests?

2. Remove Ads

My wife and I do weekend back packing trips deep into the Daniel Boone NT Forrest in the spring and fall. I carry in a " tanker holster" as issued by Uncle Sam, which is a chest rig.

I also have a custom chest rig with nylon straps and a built in mag pouch.

This is the best way I have found to carry outdoors where concealment is not an issue.
    NCSoxFan and oneshot like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    I carry in a pouch affixed to my waist belt. it's big enough to hold a snubnose revolver
    surefire7 likes this.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Since Feb. 2010 weapons are allowed in all national parks, check with local state regulations is suggested though for further state specific restrictions.

CrossDraw....check out Holsterpro.com

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    My wife and I do weekend back packing trips deep into the Daniel Boone NT Forrest in the spring and fall. I carry in a " tanker holster" as issued by Uncle Sam, which is a chest rig.

I also have a custom chest rig with nylon straps and a built in mag pouch.

This is the best way I have found to carry outdoors where concealment is not an issue.
    I used to live in Cincinnati and loved to pack at Red River Gorge.

I was thinking about something like this

Maybe my holster right on the hip belt using something like this.
    Lunar Concealed Carry Pouch
    pgrass101 and Spovik like this.

The past few years I have camped in PA only so, I carry my normal carry SP101 IWB and LCR357 in a pocket. If I were out west again in the Rockies etc. I would have to carry at last a 44 mag. It would probably be in or on the waist. I would conceal it with some kind of cover garment. The LCR would still be in my pocket.

Be weight conscious, especially on long hikes. It might surprise you how 3 pounds can feel like 30 after 10 miles or so.

If you're worried about a bear, no reasonable handgun is really big enough to kill a bear and you're relying on the noise to scare it off as much as the bullet, so think about something with a loud report. Bear sprays are reported as very effective and that would be a good thing for a child or other non-shooting companion to carry. But there are a lot of murders and rapes on trail and parks, so your normal carry for the two-legged animals would be a good idea.

I personally don't like thigh rigs. They have a tendency to bump into everything, and the butt/ grip of the weapon takes a beating, even sitting down.
    The pouch option looks viable, but once again, it's another thing on the belt.

Look into chest rigs. Any weight of the handgun will be offset by the pack. It's easy to reach in any position from either hand, and it is out of the way.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I carry in a leg holster, and don't care if other hikers or similar see it. One, the vast majority of hikers I know here don't go unarmed, and two: out here it's easy to just pick a direction and go, and never run into another person. So if I do, I want them to know that I am armed, just in case. I'm also carrying in case of a less then positive encounter with some of our larger wildlife. So it's not a small gun, and I want it to be quickly deployable, and a leg holster makes that easy.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I carry in a pouch affixed to my waist belt. it's big enough to hold a snubnose revolver
    Same here , if hiking in popular or busy areas. Only my pouch. Fits a larger pistol . When hiking in remote areas a police type offset mount clears the pack belt .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_mp40c View Post
    While backpacking or even day hiking, how do you carry?
    With a hip belt, I don't see how to carry on my waist (IWB or OWB).
    Do you tuck it into a pocket and hope you can get it out in time?
    Do you hang your holster on your hip belt?
    I have been thinking about a leg holster but, again, don't want to draw attention from fellow hikers.
    CC or OC?

Second half, Is it legal to OC in state parks? National parks? BLM? National forests?
    Wilderness Safepacker when backpacking with a Glock 29 10mm. It looks like a first aid kit or some kind of pouch thing to those not in the know.
    Safepacker Concealed Carry Holster, Concealed Weapon Holster

IWB with Kahr P9 for basic day hikes if I have a daypack without a hip belt.

I don't OC in WA state. It'll freak out too many people and I also don't want any potential bad guys to know I'm carrying either.
    G26Raven likes this.

ALWAYS carry in the wilderness.
    oneshot and surefire7 like this.

I Carry IWB in warm weather and OWB when wearign a jacket, just like when I am not hiking.
    I worry more about 2 legged attackers than 4 legged ones (except I worry a little about Mountain Lions, which we have in the area).
    The new National Park law simply states (AFAIK) that Carry in National Parks is determined by the state that the park is within. That is, the feds don't restrict anything and leave it to the states.

I got a fanny pack that had a wide slot that would on the hip belt. It barely fits and I have to carry at an awkward angle. I wanted something that had a non-gun name brand like EMS or Eddie Bauer. Safepacker seems a bit big and I have no idea how I'd carry that, but I like the looks of that Lunar Concealed and had never seen it so thank you for posting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links