Defensive Carry banner

Newish to the concealed carry world.

3K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  jonesey0930 
#1 ·
Hello Guys and Gals!

I have had my concealed carry for about a year but I haven't carried due to not having a firearm. I had a Glock 23 that I carried when I did but had to sell it. Now that I am getting back into the concealed carry I am looking to get something new. I know guns a scarce or prices are all jacked up. I liked my glock but didn't like the fact there was no external safety. A glock is the really about the only pistol I have owned besides a high point. What guns would you recommend and why? Thanks for your advice in advanced. :smile:

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Could you give us a price range you'd feel comfortable with? See, the first thing that occurs to me is that my USP compact 9mm (it comes in .40 too) is really close in dimensions to your Glock, at least in height and width (5.00 and 1.14). You could carry it DA first pull, SA with a safety (cocked and locked) or even DA first pull with the safety (lawyer-proof...almost). However, it's a pricey little thing running probably $800 or so. But, like your old Glock, it's a quality firearm with a proven track record of reliability, safety and accuracy.

I'm sure others will recommend some other great options, too.

Best wishes

#4 ·
Does it have to be an auto? You could do a lot worse than a Ruger SP-101. I kind of felt the same way about the lack of a safety on the Glocks but I'm working on overcoming it. Short of that, can you live with Condition 1 (ie cocked & locked- a chambered round, cocked with the safety on)?

You could pick up a used Sig right around the top end of your price range. Sig sells used guns that are factory reconditioned and warrantied. That might be a good option for you. I can also highly recommend the FNX in either 9mm or .40 S&W. The gun is well made, reliable, accurate and gives you a wealth of carry options. It can be carried C1 or DA/SA (the safety is also a decocker). A new FNX would be within your budgeted range and they generally come with 3 mags. Where I live .40 ammo is very plentiful but 9mm ammo is almost impossible to find.

#7 ·
I can recommend a Glock 23 or a smaller one. You know the gun & that's a plus. I can also mention M&P 40C. I can recommend them because I'm familiar with them. I, too had a Glock 23 but gave it to my son before WI had a concealed carry law. Now I'm waiting for my M&P 40C to be delivered. I really wanted another G23 but got a great LEO/Security/Military deal on it I couldn't pass it up. My son is now a PO & carries his issue full size M&P 40. He still loves my old G23 but thinks the M&P is just a tad better. The G23 is his off-duty carry.

There are many fine firearms out there suitable for concealed carry.

#15 ·
Look at Smith and wesson M&P series, beretta, Ruger, .... all the major manufacturers have something to offer. Also, I have said before and will say it again. You dont buy shoes without trying them, and you should buy a gun with out shooting it if at all possible. Go to your LGS, see what they have, touch and feel as many as you can get your hands on. If you have a LGS with a range, shoot some of them. It will be money well spent. Dont be in a hurry to buy. It is better to be patient and spend once than spend twice out of error.

Also, I just picked up a Ruger SR40C for $460 OTD ...havent shot it yet so incannot attest to its success, but evberyone else who has one loves it. External safety, great in hand feel, and it was priced right.

#21 ·
Here's a idea: If I ever make it again to NC, let's meet up and I'll shoot you in the chest with a 9mm 124gr+P Gold Dot...If that doesn't do it I volunteer to shoot you with a .45 of your choosing! I kid I kid...

I'm going to advise basically the same as others have said, at your price range, you're looking at Glock, M&P, SR. Also, maybe look at a used or trade in police weapon? That could save you some $$ and can definitely be a way to get a decent condition one for cheaper than new and then when you can afford a new weapon and after the panic subsides you can get what you really want all shiny and new.

You didn't mention of this, but if the weapon is purely for CC, are you open to a subcompact semi auto? The Ruger LC9, and Kel Tec PF9 come in under $400. I'm not going to advise a Taurus 700 series due to bad personal results, but will mention that they are also in the same category. The Shield is a choice too, but finding one of those is a fantasy.

#17 ·
Go back to a Glock Sir. The G19 is probably the most simplistic and reliable semi-auto on the market...And contrary to what you think, the Glock does have an external safety. It's called YOUR FINGER! Keep your finger off the trigger and you are perfectly safe..Just a thought....

#18 ·
I certainly agree that the best and only true saftey is your finger and your brain. I know I was worried about an accidental discharge when putting my firearm in my iwb holster. I was using an uncle mikes holser and it was a pretty flimsy. Right now if I could find one I would be torn between the Glock or the M&P shield.

#25 ·
If you really know what you want, concentrate your search, and are persistent, chances are pretty good you will find what you're looking for. I had a day off a couple of days ago and spent virtually the entire day on the computer and/or phone looking for a S&W Model 28. Persistence paid off in winning an auction on Gunbroker for a darn good price. Also take a look on Armslist as well as the other usual suspects.

#26 ·
Yes, and I'm sure that others here will congrat you for getting into guns, and choosing to get a defensive pistol.

More people should think like you ( and us ) around this nation.

#29 ·
Don't get all wadded up with safeties. Get what you want. Shoot the holy mother out of it. Clean it, and shoot it some more. It's all about familiarity.

The guys that manage to shoot themselves are either plumb green or weren't paying attention. So they pay.

If you are green, no problem. We all were at one point. Just take extra caution. If you aren't green, keep your head screwed on. Either way, you'll be OK.

#30 ·
I love my Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 40S&W. absolute dream to shoot. It's very concealable, and offers you the security of the external thumb safety. I am fairly new to carry as well. I chose the shield because of the look, feel, and since I have small children I wanted the safety. Yes I know safeties are no substitution for responsible gun ownership but I feel better with a safety. I train 3-4 times a month at our local outside range and have made muscle memory and its natural to relieve the safety upon draw.

Ok so I know you think the Shield is about as rare as a white unicorn, I did too. None of my LGS' had any and told me good luck. But I posted on another forum and asked anyone if they'd seen any at their LGS' and if so what the name, address and phone number was. Within a day a guy pushed me towards a store in Florida that he said had some. I called then and bought it over the phone and they shipped it to my LGS and I was in business. So I hope this helps. I wanted a Shield and thought about settling on something I wasn't real fond of, so I searched until I found it. Good luck in your search for whatever you buy. By the way I paid $449 which was MSRP, so I wouldn't pay more than MSRP for any gun right now. I have had mine about 2 months.

#31 ·
I went back down to my local gun shop (which is also a pawn shop) I wanted to see if any new shipments came in. Unfortantley there was no new shipments, but I have been eyeballing a para ordance 9mm, so I had them get it out of the case. I liked the way it felt and don't have worry about carrying cocked and locked. So I bought the Para Ordance LDA 9mm. I hope to go shooting in the next couple of days even thougth the weather is cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.