Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife picked up a new Ruger LC9 for herself. I was impressed with how she researched and handled several different pistols. I was hoping ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC9

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar

Ruger LC9

My wife picked up a new Ruger LC9 for herself. I was impressed with how she researched and handled several different pistols. I was hoping she would pick the S&W Shield and I probably tried to persuade her in that way, but she liked the way the LC9 felt in her hand. She is pretty darn accurate with a Glock 17, so I'm anxious to see how she does with the little Ruger. Sorry for the lower quality pic as it was taken with my iPhone.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

2. Remove Ads

Props to the Mrs! I recently bought my wife her first handgun. I tried to get her involved in the selection process. Anytime I asked her opinion, her response was "whatever you think honey". Now I know how she feels when we go furniture shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    Props to the Mrs! I recently bought my wife her first handgun. I tried to get her involved in the selection process. Anytime I asked her opinion, her response was "whatever you think honey". Now I know how she feels when we go furniture shopping.
    One reason she decided on the LC9 was how easy she could manipulate the slide. Looking forward to putting some rounds through it.

Ruger LC9

I bought myself an LC9 for pocket carry back in December. A great little gun but you will have to get used to the loooonng trigger pull. It is essentially a double action trigger and seems to go back forever before the break.

It takes a bit of getting used to and you will need to focus on a proper grip. I was pulling low left at first because I was trying to anticipate when the trigger would break. It is accurate once you become familiar with it however and I don't see much of a chance for accidental discharge with that type of trigger pull either.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Tundra, congratulations on a wise wife. The LC9 is great.

Shoot straight and safe.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

My gf's mom is getting rid of her LC9. It was her first pistol. Now she's looking into the nano or shield

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Great pistol - I love mine.

I am actually looking into the lc9 for pocket carry

My wife also carry's an LC9. I don't like the trigger, but I'm not the one shooting it!
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Olduser View Post
    My wife also carry's an LC9. I don't like the trigger, but I'm not the one shooting it!
    The trigger does leave a lot to be desired, IMO.

What is wrong with the trigger? I have been considering one as a lightweight carry gun. I wouldnt need the best trigger... it would be a close range gun.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Good on her for being so involved. The LC 9 was my first carry gun. I consider it a great option. With my large ish hands I found myself wrapping my finger around the trigger with the long pull and pushing my shots. Practice time will always benefit and as with any gun its mastering IT, whether the trigger is long short mushy whatever.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    What is wrong with the trigger? I have been considering one as a lightweight carry gun. I wouldnt need the best trigger... it would be a close range gun.
    It looks like one run of the LC9's had a trigger issue that had a spring or something breaking and the trigger would not reset. That issue appears to be fixed as the problems seemed to crop up, and then the reports of that disappeared.

We just picked up the LC380 for my wife. The LC380 and the LC9 are basically the same gun. It has a very long trigger pull, and with the long pull, it has a long reset. I have shot a lot worse triggers, but it isn't the best. I personally would call the trigger only average.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

LC9 is a great gun. Yes the trigger pull is a little long but that's what practice is for. I've put almost 1,000 through mine, probably closer to 850 and it may not be a gun she will like taking long trips to the range with. the lc9 has a surprisingly strong kick for a little gun and will make your hand sore after 1-200. Although the rough grip it comes with may have something to do with it as well. I'd recommend it, actually a female friend of mine bought one after using mine for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    As the others have said, it just has a long pull but nothing a little practice will not take care of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links