Stovepipe issue

Stovepipe issue

This is a discussion on Stovepipe issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 1911 mil spec SA. I get the occasional stovepipe. I don' think the port is lowered or flared. It even happens with ...

Thread: Stovepipe issue

Stovepipe issue

I have a 1911 mil spec SA. I get the occasional stovepipe. I don' think the port is lowered or flared. It even happens with full metal jacket. I am using some off brand magazines. Could this be the problem.? No limp writing as far as I can tell. If it is a magazine issue what do you recommend? I love this gun but won't carry it as EDC until the problem is fixed.
    Thank you forum members for all the helpful advice!

I would try some better magazines, for sure. Wilson 47D or their Elite mags are good, as are Cobra by Tripp. Both work flawlessly in either of my Springers.

I'd be surprised if that didn't fix the problem, but if not, a little throating and polishing may be called for.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Inadequate extractor tension- Is the extractor loose or can it be turned back and forth in the slide at all, even minimally? A loaded round generally may be held against the breech face with a properly functioning extractor.

A heavier-than-necessary recoil spring- Has an "extra-power" recoil spring been installed in the pistol?

Weak ammunition- Even FMJ ammo could be weak if it is some sort of "gunshow reloads."

You might want to read up on 1911 extractor issues as I'm guessing that is the most likely culprit. Could be either of the other two but not as likely.

A full-sized 1911 with a standard recoil spring doesn't generally fail due to limp-wristing so don't be led down that path. Start messing with heavier springs though in an effort to compensate for +P type ammunition or heavy handloads and one could come to grief when using factory standard loadings.

Your post implies that you've used the pistol with more than one load and it's misbehaving with all of them so it probably isn't the load.

It isn't required that the ejection port be lowered or flared in order to avoid stovepipe jams. Three of the four 1911s around here do not have modified ejection ports. Two are U.S. military contract guns and one is a commercial Colt Government Model and none are bedeviled with stovepipes. The extractors have similar tension and the pistols are maintained with standard 16 lb. recoil springs.

Those little buffers that became popular for a time might possibly contribute to the problem. If one has been installed, its removal might improve function.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links