Defensive Carry banner

USA Made Glock 19

13K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  ironmike86 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I just bought my first Gen 3 Glock 19 ($498 and the last one in Louisville) as a carry in the field weapon for rough conditions; I'm a wildlife biologist. I noticed after I bought it that is says made in the USA Smyrna, Georgia on the frame and has USA stamped on the slide where Austria usually goes? At first I though knockoff, but it seems legit. Does this Glock differ from Austrian Glocks?

Pics later

Thanks Guys,
Jared

#2 ·
It should be the same Glock, except it's made here in the US.

... Although, for some reason, I'm thinking that Smyrna uses something other than the tenifer finish on the slide, due to our draconian environmental laws. Can someone sanity-check me on this?

#3 ·
I believe they are being produced in the USA now.

#5 ·
It is a Gen 3. I'm not sure when it was produced. Other forums are saying it is the real deal and kind of rare. I really don't know what I have, but I couldn't pass it up for $498 with all this panic buying and price increasing going on. Found it at Knob Creek Gun Range outside of Louisville. They didn't even know why it was stamped USA. I pointed it out to them after I bought it.

#8 ·
It seems the USA built Glocks are sought-after at the moment. Also, my understanding is the original Glock tennifer treatment is no longer being used on the USA or Austrian made Glocks.....which is a shame as it seems to old treatment was a bit more durable than the new.

#10 ·
Glock statement on slide finish........

"GLOCK applies advanced surface treatments on major metal components, resulting in slightly less than diamond hardness. This considerably reduces wear and tear on these metal components and makes them corrosion resistant, even when operating in saltwater conditions. The matte black surface minimizes light reflection—an advantage in tactical circumstances."

No more mention of tennifer.

I changed my slide and barrel finish on my G-36 a few years back to "EXO".........UCT Coatings

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon :urla9ub:

#12 ·
So how big of a deal is it to not have the tennifer treatment? I see a lot of discussion on other forums about it. Some say that the US made Glocks found a way to make them just as durable as the Austrian Glocks? I bought a Glock for its durability as a tool in the field. If I wanted anything else, I would have stayed with my stainless steel Ruger SRs that get oxidation spots.

#13 ·
From what I can gather the newer treatment is still excellent...just not quite as good as the old treatment in preventing scratches, wear and rust. Even though the finish isn't quite what it used to be I don't think you'll find a better treatment on any other newer guns.

#18 ·
I want to say the new treatment is Melonite. Basically the same thing as Tennifer, but doesn't produce a harmful and restricted waste byproduct. I am just going by memory here so maybe someone can give a more in depth response.

#24 ·
You know, this made me think about the Glock pistols that haven't been imported due to restrictions. Will Glock build the .380's at the Georgia factory and sell them Stateside? Personally, I don't have any desire to buy a G .380, but now that they are being produced in the US Glock could technically sell them.

#27 ·
^^^^

Completely agree. I know they are popular where laws exist against owning military caliber firearms and LEO's have always been able to get them, although I don't know anyone who owns a .380 model. I just wonder if GLOCK will build and market them here now.

#28 ·
The new Gen3 G19 I picked up for my son last month, was produced in Dec 2012, and is still an Austrian one. Are they running two different production lines and does that mean his has the Tenifer finish or is that done with all together? THANKS !

#29 ·
Yes, GLOCKs are still made in Austria as well as Georgia, not sure about differences between the finishes, but from what I've read neither is better than the other as far as durability goes, just that Tennifer creates a toxic/HazMat as a byproduct that is difficult and expensive to dispose of and not easily approved in the US.

Some GLOCKs have a slick finish that was complained about and I believe GLOCK addressed the issue. My 2012 G23 is Austrian and has the more rough look. Earlier Gen. 4 guns I looked at had the slicker treatment.

#30 ·
I bought my G19 just after Christmas. The fired casings are dated 11/12. It was made in Austria.

#31 ·
Fired case on this G19 said 12/1/12 and serial # starts with UA*-***. Austrian fairly 'shiny' finish. This was purchased for my son..my G19 Gen 3 is a 2000 model, so the finish is grayish at this point. Looks nice and salty!(LOL)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.