Defensive Carry banner

I just couldn't resist.

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
I was in a gun store in my home town in MI that has been there since before I can remember, and that is longer than I'd like to admit - the current owner is the third generation. My dad, bought a lot of guns of various sorts there. Nice, knowledgable folks in that store.

They had a Blued Walther PPK/S in 380 made in W. Germany and imported by Interarms of VA. I have no idea when it was made other than it was after 68 and before Interarms went out of business. The fit, finish, the bluing, smoothness of the action, and the feel of it were just plain irresistable.

They also had a stainless S&W PPK/S of recent manufacture. The S&W gun is a fine piece, and may have a better tang on it, but there was no comparison in the look and feel. The particular PPK/s I liked (fell in love with would be more accurate) was from a collection they had on consignment. Looking at it, both the dealer and I came to the conclusion that, while we couldn't prove it, sure looked like it hadn't been fired since the factory test. The magazine follower was pristine in both magazines. The barrel was perfect. No wear on the slides or frame, or on the barrel from the spring sliding on it. The signed factory test target (~2.5" group at 15 meters) was still in the box.

It is only a 380, but I just had to have it, and now I do.

I called my friend and FFL in PA, and he had the signed FFL faxed to the dealer before they could finish writing it up. Had to wait till I got back here to take delivery of it.

I stopped at the Cabela's in Southern MI, since I was driving right by it on the way here, and picked up a set of carbide RCBS dies to reload practice ammo for it. I found 2,000 95-gr. Winchester FMJ bullets for a hundred bux from a guy at the club so I picked those up. Also ordered some 90gr lead bullets for it so I can use it on steel plates at the club.

Range report:

First trip to the range I put 100 rounds of WWB from Wal Mart through it (a guy has to find brass someplace!). No jams, no malfunctions of any kind. I also put 50 rounds of Federal HS through it with no problems of any kind. Federal HS will be the SD and carry ammo. I don't want to shoot +P COR-BON in it. I have that for the 9mmP G19, but that is not blowback and of recent design.

This little Walther is a shooter. It will group 8 shots (7 in mag, one in chamber) in one ragged quarter sized hole at 12' slow fire if I shoot them all S/A. It shoots well at all the ranges I tried out to 25' (which is as far as I think it needs to shoot).

I picked up an IWB when I bought it and find it quite comfortable to carry after about a week of experience with it - though I think I'll have a holster built for it with a better tilt.

The pistol was originally designed, late 1920s or thereabouts specifically to be a CCW weapon for plain clothes policemen and others with the need for a concealable pistol. It has a very nice shape, slide is thinner at the muzzle end, handle is also quite thin with a taper to the butt so it lets the back of the slide sit close to the body. It is much easier to conceal on me than anything else I've tried so far. I am able to place shots pretty much exactly where i want them with it, so I think this will become my carry piece, especially in the summer.

Fitch

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats and welcome to the .380 club, Fitch !
I have a .380 but not the Walther. Its the colt mustang. I know mine is an excellent carry piece.

#3 ·
The PPK has a deserved following and pretty good rep' - over many years. I have shot one and liked it a lot.

As .380's go it probably is still ''up there'', certainly with regard to small steel guns. I prefer some weight even in smaller cal's and that gun sure saw some service over time.

Nice find and thx for the write-up. Enjoyable. :smilez:

#4 ·
Congratulations on the new acquisition! :smile:

#5 ·
Your PPK is similar to mine

I also bought a blued Walther PPK .380 with the "Interarms" import logo on the side, about 6 years ago. It too was bought on a whim, just because of the looks of the gun and perhaps the James Bond connection. The PPK is a gun with a lot of history, and I believe it was originally produced in 1928.

Mine has functioned perfectly, through perhaps 400 rounds of mixed ammo. It is also surprisingly accurate for a very small gun. I don't think this gun is usually shot very much by owners, because it is not really a target gun and a little difficult to shoot because of its small grip.

I have carried mine a few times, and it conceals better than anything else I have - even easier than an airweight .38 snubby. The gun is so flat it virtually disappears inside the waist band, in a pocket or in a belly band. The spare magazine can be carried loose in a pocket.

#7 ·
Picture of PPK and Factory Target.

Well, let me see if I can do this ... I think I have a photobucket account from a few years ago ... yes, I do! OK, here is (I hope) a picture of the irresistable PPK/S and its factory target.

Fitch

#12 ·
BTW, where were ya at in MI?
Hampel's in Traverse City. Salesman was Tom Killman - he knew my Dad. I was born and Raised in Traverse City. It was a much different town back then (I graduated HS in 1960). My wife's twin brothers live there, one is a Blacksmith, the other Restores Woody Stationwagons for a living. They are fun to visit!

Traverse City still a very nice town, and I'd live there, but it is too cold and too much snow for my bride of 38 years, who was also born and rasied there. So I'm in So. Central PA. We're loving it here.

Fitch

#11 ·
+1 Rocky....
That sounds like a great gun shop....where is it in Michigan?
I want to go. esp if they have quality firearms like that.

#15 ·
I'm Not a Walther Fan...

but that's a long story...
Your purchase looks very clean...

Enjoy!

ret:urla9ub:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.