New to CCW and looking for suggestions

This is a discussion on New to CCW and looking for suggestions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Ladies and Gents, I have been on the forum for about a week and doing a lot of reading. I took the Utah CCW ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New to CCW and looking for suggestions

Hey Ladies and Gents,

I have been on the forum for about a week and doing a lot of reading. I took the Utah CCW course on Wednesday and mailed my app on Thursday. Of course I live in IL, so none of that matter right now. I also found my FOID card expired and I am waiting on my renewal, so I can not even touch anything right now (I hate this state). I am a former Marine (93-98) and use to own a few firearms. When I moved back to IL I sold everything, so I am starting from scratch. I am 6'6" tall and about 280#, so I am not really looking for a compact. I think I can CC a full size.

All of that said, I am not looking for someone to make a decision for me, I am looking for suggestions.

I am leaning to a .40, maybe a .45.
    I have been researching <in order of preference >:

XDm (4.5')
    M&P (4.25")
    Sig P229 (I have always wanted a Sig, but not sure about it for EDC)
    Glock (Had bad shooting experience with Glock in the Marines so I don't really want one, but that's been 15 years and I figure I should a least give them a shot)

So, what else should I look at, research, shoot when I get a chance? There is a LGS that has a nice range and a large rental department. My plan is to try out what I have on my list but don't want to ignore other brands due to ignorance. Also, your thoughts on carrying a full size every day?

I appreciate your help and this very informative forum. You guys do a great job and the forum "noise" seems non-existent.

Just because you are a "big" guy does not mean you can conceal a full-size gun easily. It is going to depend on what your attire is. It is a very common misconception around here.

I would check out the Walther PPS in .40 and also the Ruger SR's. Good luck on your search and welcome to the forum!
    olsoul likes this.

I would definitely have to vote in favor of Glock, and Sig. I have very limited experience with XDms and M&Ps, but I haven't heard anything terribly bad about either. Really you'd be fine with any of those choices. A Glock 21 is going to have higher capacity for .45 than most other .45 options. Unless IL has a 10 round limit like CA.

As far as carrying a full size every day, I say if you can, do it!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Re: New to CCW and looking for suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post

As far as carrying a full size every day, I say if you can, do it!
    +1.

I have a full-size M&P and a Shield, what I carry depends on weather, wardrobe, etc but I much prefer 17+1 rounds to 7 in a pinch.

Don't overthink the process--any of the guns you mentioned will serve you well, buy you're comfortable with and shoot well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using TapTalk 2

I gotta say I like my S&W SD9, with a 16+1 capacity (Also available in .40 but with less capacity). I am still waiting on my permit to arrive so I have not carried it concealed publicly yet but I have carried it around my property. I will admit it seems to be on the larger end for concealed but I think I can comfortabley carry it in cooler weather. For summer time I plan to get something smaller/lighter like the LC9.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. If your looking for a .40 cal, give the CZ75 P-06 a look as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

First off: Quit thinking in terms of range guns....start thinking in terms of carry guns. When you carry a gun 24/7, 365 a full size service weapon will get old......fast.
    When I lived in Central Illinois, I only owned large range guns, and had no use for light single stack carry weapons. Having lived in Florida for years, all that changed.
    I'm 6'0 and 225, so not exactly a small guy, and the size of the pistol vs your physical size has little to do with anything. I can conceal my XD Tactical 5" all day long
    with the righ clothing, but rarely choose to do so.

I would look at the following. Have no experience with either SIG or the XDm, but have boocoo experience carrying and concealing the ones below. These guns are bullet proof for carry:

Glock 19 9mm
    Glock 26 9mm
    Glock 23 40SW
    Glock 27 .40SW
    M&P9C 9mm
    M&P40C 40SW
    XD9SC 9mm

...and then there are a boat load of smaller single stack 9mm's and 40's that you will eventually move to after you have carried a while. I carry either a Kahr CW9
    Kahr CM9 or Keltec PF9 as backups to my ususal carry, a Glock 19.
    jbird and Broadus like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a few more to look into.

My main point of a full size vs compact is grip. I have shot a few compact guns and my hands are too big. By that I mean my ring finger did not sit on the grip, it sat at the end, so I was basically holding it with one finger. That didn't work to well. Again this has been a while ago, but still in my memory bank.

IL allows HC mags, but my the time they pass CCW they may outlaw ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    First off: Quit thinking in terms of range guns....start thinking in terms of carry guns. When you carry a gun 24/7, 365 a full size service weapon will get old......fast.
    Zonker, what makes it get old? Is it the weight, the size, or ?

When you are ready, go to your LGS and touch and feel every gun they have. see what fits your hands. You may be suprised. I am currently carrying a Ruger SR40C with 9 rnd mags. It fills my hand perfectly and is a great carrying gun. It can also be had with a 15rd mag with grip enteder if it fits you better. The M&P compacts are great, as well are glocks, sigs, CZ's etc. I love kahr firearms, but if your hands fit the rest of you they may be too small to be comfortable. I also CC a glock 22 in cold weather, its a full size .40 cal. Hides well under a coat or long shirt. The biggest thing is to feel as many guns as possible to see what YOU like.

Quote Originally Posted by dltaylor4 View Post
    Zonker, what makes it get old? Is it the weight, the size, or ?
    weight and size. We don't wear many clothes in Florida so carrying a full size weapon is not usually as easy as it may be in northern Illinois.
    I know too many guys here in Florida that swear by their SIGs....but every time I see them, their gun is in their truck. I always have my Glock.
    Also, I have large hands and shoot subcompact pistols just as well as full size service models. It won't feel natural at first, but with practice it
    will become second nature. Just because you have large hands, do not rule out subcompacts as over time, that will be the size gun that is
    not only the most comfortable and convenient to carry, but also has plenty of firepower for most social situations you may encounter.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I'm a big guy and Im looking into a compact sub compact for the smile fact that its easier to conceal especially in the Summer. So OP choose a gun (if only one) that you can easily conceal in the Summer. I like to wear basketball shorts mainly in the Summer so that's why I'm looking for a compact/sub over a full size. Plus the weight is greatly reduced.

Good luck on your decision.

I've carried a few different guns from a Fullsize 1911 to a Sig P238. All have advantages and disadvantages, the easier it is to conceal the more comfortable it is... The larger the gun, the more comforting it is. The trick is to find that line. Smaller grips and thinner guns are just plain easier to conceal unless you just wear large baggy clothes or layers all of the time. Anything is possible, you just have to be willing to conform to what the gun will allow you to do.

My EDC is a 229 so I say scratch that itch and get yourself a Sig. I'll compromise fashion for for carry concealment any day.
    Eric357 likes this.

I live in the (sometimes) frozen tundra of WI and carry a FS M&P 40 everyday AIWB. I don't find it to be too big or heavy at all. I'm just a regular size guy, 5'11" and 175 lbs.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links