Defensive Carry banner

New to CCW and looking for suggestions

3K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  Snub44 
#1 ·
Hey Ladies and Gents,

I have been on the forum for about a week and doing a lot of reading. I took the Utah CCW course on Wednesday and mailed my app on Thursday. Of course I live in IL, so none of that matter right now. I also found my FOID card expired and I am waiting on my renewal, so I can not even touch anything right now (I hate this state). I am a former Marine (93-98) and use to own a few firearms. When I moved back to IL I sold everything, so I am starting from scratch. I am 6'6" tall and about 280#, so I am not really looking for a compact. I think I can CC a full size.

All of that said, I am not looking for someone to make a decision for me, I am looking for suggestions.

I am leaning to a .40, maybe a .45.
I have been researching <in order of preference >:

XDm (4.5')
M&P (4.25")
Sig P229 (I have always wanted a Sig, but not sure about it for EDC)
Glock (Had bad shooting experience with Glock in the Marines so I don't really want one, but that's been 15 years and I figure I should a least give them a shot)

So, what else should I look at, research, shoot when I get a chance? There is a LGS that has a nice range and a large rental department. My plan is to try out what I have on my list but don't want to ignore other brands due to ignorance. Also, your thoughts on carrying a full size every day?

I appreciate your help and this very informative forum. You guys do a great job and the forum "noise" seems non-existent.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just because you are a "big" guy does not mean you can conceal a full-size gun easily. It is going to depend on what your attire is. It is a very common misconception around here.

I would check out the Walther PPS in .40 and also the Ruger SR's. Good luck on your search and welcome to the forum!

#3 ·
I would definitely have to vote in favor of Glock, and Sig. I have very limited experience with XDms and M&Ps, but I haven't heard anything terribly bad about either. Really you'd be fine with any of those choices. A Glock 21 is going to have higher capacity for .45 than most other .45 options. Unless IL has a 10 round limit like CA.

As far as carrying a full size every day, I say if you can, do it!

#4 ·
As far as carrying a full size every day, I say if you can, do it!
+1.

I have a full-size M&P and a Shield, what I carry depends on weather, wardrobe, etc but I much prefer 17+1 rounds to 7 in a pinch.

Don't overthink the process--any of the guns you mentioned will serve you well, buy you're comfortable with and shoot well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using TapTalk 2

#5 ·
I gotta say I like my S&W SD9, with a 16+1 capacity (Also available in .40 but with less capacity). I am still waiting on my permit to arrive so I have not carried it concealed publicly yet but I have carried it around my property. I will admit it seems to be on the larger end for concealed but I think I can comfortabley carry it in cooler weather. For summer time I plan to get something smaller/lighter like the LC9.

#7 ·
First off: Quit thinking in terms of range guns....start thinking in terms of carry guns. When you carry a gun 24/7, 365 a full size service weapon will get old......fast.
When I lived in Central Illinois, I only owned large range guns, and had no use for light single stack carry weapons. Having lived in Florida for years, all that changed.
I'm 6'0 and 225, so not exactly a small guy, and the size of the pistol vs your physical size has little to do with anything. I can conceal my XD Tactical 5" all day long
with the righ clothing, but rarely choose to do so.

I would look at the following. Have no experience with either SIG or the XDm, but have boocoo experience carrying and concealing the ones below. These guns are bullet proof for carry:

Glock 19 9mm
Glock 26 9mm
Glock 23 40SW
Glock 27 .40SW
M&P9C 9mm
M&P40C 40SW
XD9SC 9mm

...and then there are a boat load of smaller single stack 9mm's and 40's that you will eventually move to after you have carried a while. I carry either a Kahr CW9
Kahr CM9 or Keltec PF9 as backups to my ususal carry, a Glock 19.

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a few more to look into.

My main point of a full size vs compact is grip. I have shot a few compact guns and my hands are too big. By that I mean my ring finger did not sit on the grip, it sat at the end, so I was basically holding it with one finger. That didn't work to well. Again this has been a while ago, but still in my memory bank.

IL allows HC mags, but my the time they pass CCW they may outlaw ammo.

#10 ·
When you are ready, go to your LGS and touch and feel every gun they have. see what fits your hands. You may be suprised. I am currently carrying a Ruger SR40C with 9 rnd mags. It fills my hand perfectly and is a great carrying gun. It can also be had with a 15rd mag with grip enteder if it fits you better. The M&P compacts are great, as well are glocks, sigs, CZ's etc. I love kahr firearms, but if your hands fit the rest of you they may be too small to be comfortable. I also CC a glock 22 in cold weather, its a full size .40 cal. Hides well under a coat or long shirt. The biggest thing is to feel as many guns as possible to see what YOU like.

#12 ·
I'm a big guy and Im looking into a compact sub compact for the smile fact that its easier to conceal especially in the Summer. So OP choose a gun (if only one) that you can easily conceal in the Summer. I like to wear basketball shorts mainly in the Summer so that's why I'm looking for a compact/sub over a full size. Plus the weight is greatly reduced.

Good luck on your decision.

#13 ·
I've carried a few different guns from a Fullsize 1911 to a Sig P238. All have advantages and disadvantages, the easier it is to conceal the more comfortable it is... The larger the gun, the more comforting it is. The trick is to find that line. Smaller grips and thinner guns are just plain easier to conceal unless you just wear large baggy clothes or layers all of the time. Anything is possible, you just have to be willing to conform to what the gun will allow you to do.

#16 ·
I'm 5'10" and weigh 195, with a 32" waist. I easily mirror carry a chopped a reflexive-sight-equipped Glock 17 and a stock Glock 19. Up to a certain point, holsters, belts and attire affect concealability as much as, if not more than pistol size.

#17 ·
Sig and Glock comments...

If you are getting a Utah permit I presume you are planning on carry outside of Illinois when you travel. I think all the states that border Illinois will accept the Utah permit. Maybe someday Illinois will allow concealed carry, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

As for gun choice, I have two of the guns on your list - the Sig P229 and a Glock 23. I think the .40 caliber is a good choice for carry. I like my Sig P229 very much and shoot it a lot at the range. But for carry purposes it is not as small and comfortable as the Glock 23. The Sig weighs about 32 ounces empty, while the Glock is about 22 ounces empty, so you are carrying an extra 10 ounces all day long. The Glock is also a little smaller in width and height than the Sig, so I always go with the Glock when I want to carry a .40. The Glock 23 conceals very well and has always been very reliable for me. I have an older model with a hard chrome slide and have complete confidence in it.

Another Glock that I like very much for carry is the model 36 in .45 caliber. It is slightly smaller than the model 23 but will actually fit well in the same holsters. It only holds 7 rounds but gives you a bigger caliber than the model 23.

#19 ·
Thanks again for all of the responses. You are giving me a lot to think about. I will add the SD40, PPS, and CZ to my list.

I did get Utah cause it works for all of the states around IL. My thought is when (if) IL gets their act together, having a CCW will at least put me a step ahead in the game. At least I am good when I go any other direction.

#20 ·
Glock confuses me. I am sure I will pick it up with time, but the numbering system is confusing. Unless there is some sort of code, it's just random numbers that tell you nothing about size or calibre. I guess sig is similar. Always liked the p229. I don't really know what makes it different than a p220 or p226. Back to the manufacturer web sites.

#22 ·
I think you'll find that many military firearms aren't worth much. They may be old, worn out & mishandled. I had the experience in Navy UDT with an issued .45 Colt. Couldn't hit a thing with it. The Armorer, a friend of mine, gave me worked-over & tuned newer pistol & I grew to love it. The same thing may have happened with the USMC's Glocks. Don't rule them out entirely. I had a G23 & G21 & shot the heck out of them with no failures of any kind. Now I'm waiting for an M&P 40C to be delivered. My son, a PO, has his issue full size M&P 40 & loves it, even better than the G23 & G21 that I gave him & he loves both dearly. You'll find a slightly better perceived recoil with M&Ps as their bore is lower than Glocks & most others. I can't imagine the Glock & M&P 9MM counterparts to be any different. Both are quality handguns with good customer service as are many of the other guns mentioned.

Good luck in your quest to get a good pistol & thanks for your service to our country.

#23 ·
Several thoughts from someone that is also a "big" guy, and has been carrying for over 20 years.

A big guy isn't always able to effectively carry and conceal a full size - it helps, but it is not always effective. The definition of "full size" really varies, I have seen some really big "full size" and some pretty smooth, nice, "full size" that look a lot smaller than others. Weight (of the gun, not the carrier) may also be a big issue. I recently injured my back, and have found that I have had to change my EDC method/gun to compensate for an extremely painful back.

Regarding caliber, I may be a big guy, but I have seen some very large men in my day. Men that can wrap a single hand twice around my neck. Those very men could not shoot a .40 very easily. I have also seen those same guys shoot .45 easier - .40's have a snappier recoil and follow up shots were pretty wild.

Truth be told, IMHO only, caliber doesn't make one hoot of a difference. I find in shooting that it is the platform, not the caliber that dictates how well I handle it. It is the grip, the balance, the weight, etc. Two different platforms can feel very different when shooting the same caliber.

As far as choices, go - my only suggestion is do what my wife is doing even as I type this. Go to the range, and shoot different platforms, and different calibers. Pick one that you can shoot, and follow up with and call it yours. That is easier said than done as many places don't have a way for you to fire them before you buy (or even after you buy). Pick what feels good, and you can handle well and comfortable carry all day, then worry about the caliber.

#24 ·
Actually, the Glock was from a friend of mine. USMC used Beretta's when I was in. The Beretta wasn't bad. The Glock just didn't feel right in my hand and I had a lot of trouble shooting it. It didn't malfunction, I think it just was not comfortable with it. I will give them another look. Since I am starting fresh, I can try anything I can get my hands on.

Thanks you for your service as well GH.

#25 ·
I have a lot more to look into. One more, probably stupid question. I have read from carry a full size if you can, to don't even bother. I am assuming the only way to know is to try it. Therefore, I need to buy a full size, try it out and if it don't work out, buy another gun and then try that. Not that I am against owning multiple firearms, just sounds like it could be an expensive mistake.

#26 ·
If you want to avoid the costly mistakes and end up like a lot of us with a drawer full of holsters and going thru a dozen guns, there is one simple rule that works for just about everybody and that is slim single stack's IWB and double stack whatever OWB. Not everybody can tolerate IWB and your first priority should be to figure that part out first. Where can you do it and how thick can you go? You can even do some simulations by making a crude gun models out of cardboard, wrap it with another layer to simulate a holster and then try out various positions. The ideal sized carry pistol is like a PPS, Kahr K9 / CW9, XD9sc, Glock 26/27/33/39, Sheild, Ruger LC9, Bersa 380, etc. Not too big and not too small, but one that does let you get a four finger grip either stock or with aftermarket mag base plates.

Providing that you do go with a single stack whatever and go with the typical 4-5 carry position, I also recommend a IWB/OWB covertible holster as a start. FIST makes a few of these. If you end up liking the AIWB position [appendix] you'll need a different type of holster with no cant and possibly a shorter barrel. What this all boils down to is to roughly have some idea of how you can and will carry first and then pick a gun that will fit those parameters. If you pick the gun first and then try to shove it into a role it's not particularly good for, that's how you end up making mistakes.

#27 ·
I have the same taste as pogo2 in carry guns. I own both the Sig P229 and Glock 23 and they make up the majority of my carry, in addition to a couple of magazines and a knife or two. I would much rather have a fighting sized gun on me than a compact. Weight and size doesn't bother me at all and have been carrying the aforementioned guns mixed in with Govt. and Commander 1911's for over 18 years now. It all depends on the individual as to what they can accommodate into their lifestyle. My dress ranges from shorts and a T, jeans and a polo, slacks and a button down to suits. Finding a good holster and belt combo is also necessary; look at it as a carry system comprised of the three and a magazine carrier to balance the gun on the offside.

AIWB carry works very well for me with the Sig and G23, (not for when I carry a 1911, I prefer 4-4:30). It doesn't work for everyone, but the advantages are there for me; more secure: both from common touching to weapon retention, faster to draw and present, and ambidextrous capability.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#29 ·
Try Kimber Agies in 9mm compact 1911 that my wife carrys and i had XD full size 45cal it was big but i liked 13+1, then shot the Kimber Pro Carry !! that was nice 4" 1911 , sold XD and Bought the Pro Carry my fultime carry gun now , just need an IWB holster for summer to go with my paddle holster i have now.

#30 ·
+1 for the Walther PPS, a great single stack carry weapon, but you'd be doing yourself a real disservice by not looking at the Walther PPQ. It is a great carry weapon and the way it fits your hand is superb.
I've been using the PPQ as my EDC for over a year and in conjunction with a good belt and a Tommy Theis IWB holster, I have no troubles carrying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.