Defensive Carry banner

Rugers p series

3K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  031131 
#1 ·
I own and have owed quite a few p series pistols 89 , 95, 345, i always have had great luck with all these, i wonder why Ruger discontinued them. what do you guys think do you CC these? or have they become back shelf pistols. whats the best p series pistol.I say its the 95.bring for arguments. and pics.

#2 ·
This is strictly my own opinion. The "P" series pistols, while very reliable, tend to be large, bulky and heavy. This makes them less than optimal for concealed carry. Also, metal framed pistols from all manufacturers are becoming scarcer. It is simply less expensive to manufacture polymer frame pistols.

#3 ·
I used to have a P95. Wish I still had it. Great gun for the price, however as stated, they are a little large, heavy, for CC. With a good belt, maybe open carry. But as a range gun or bed side gun, they are great guns.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
I was not aware they were discontinuing the P95 or P345. Last I saw you could still buy new ones of both. Did they announce a discontinuation? My P95 is a poly frame gun. Great shooter. A tad big for CC but not impossible.

#5 ·
...owie contryary, my friend...the P95 and P97 just BEG to be concealed...(now the P90s are a bit bulkier...yet I conceal one daily in an AIWB holster...under a pocket T)...the decocker pre-rail models are to die for...
...shootable...reliable...inexpensive...the Ruger Ps were discontinued too soon...now from the P345 and later models, I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for their semiautos...they began rushing them to market and had recalls and problems...learned some hard QC lessons...

...P97...27 oz...7.28" long
...P95...27 oz...7.25" long

...G19...23 oz...7.4" long

...the Rugers are available from $300-$375 used...I won't pass a stainless one up...

#6 ·
D-Eagle, you ask...I wonder why Ruger discontinued [the P series], and...

You ask an excellent question.

2 of three pieces listed on my LTC are Ruger P series (85 and 94) and to me they are fine, fine weapons. I like a reliable handgun with a manual safety and the P series weapons are simply that. I find them quite accurate on the range, although I recognize that are some who prefer the feel and/or trigger pull of other hand weapons. (Personal choice? A good thing.)

From the many experts on this fine forum, I suspect that we will learn why Ruger canxed the P series. My guess is sales figures, that competition thing.

#7 ·
B. D. asks...Last I saw you could still buy new ones of both. Did they announce a discontinuation?

It looks (from Wiki) as if the P95 might still be in production. Also (and connecting a few dots, as it was not expressed) it appears as though the "P" in P series might stand for "Police".

(corrections welcomed)

#8 ·
One of my off duty weapons is a P345. Never had an issue with it.

#10 ·
I had a P-97 .45 ACP decocker wish I still did. Accurate, ate everything I fed her, loved 200 gr LEE semi-wadcutters

If I'm not mistaken the P = Polymer

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

#13 ·
I bought a Ruger P89DC stainless 15 plus 1 in 1992, I carry concealed in a Galco Fletch high ride 4 oclock position. OWB with a cover garment. The gun has never failed to eat anything I feed it, awesome reliability !!!!

Try to talk myself into something smaller , but always read about reliability issues with small 9mm and 380,s,
Looking at LCR ????

#14 ·
...you might love the P95...a bit smaller than the P89 and a surprising number of decockers still around...I've got stainless decockers in P95 and P97...a stainless safety model P90...and still looking...would twin both polymers and buy a couple of decocking P90s and P89s if I could find them...

#15 ·
I've had this one for 5 or 6 years. Bought it used in a pawn shop for $300. Picked up a nice collection of magazines for it over the years too. 10s, 15s, and 17s. I wanted this one because it was an older P95 without rails Stainless with de-cocker. I would have paid more for this older model than for a new one, but didn't have to. It is a tank, durable, reliable, and an amazing shooter. I used to shoot groundhogs with it out to amazing distances. The accuracy I can achieve with this particular pistol is unmatched with any other.

Attachments

#16 ·
The P-95 is still available and in much production. It carries about as well as a Glock 19 and almost as accurate. The others have been replaced by the SR line SR9 (9mm), SR40, SR45 which are Striker Fired, instead of having a hammer. Ruger reasoning is the striker fired is more accurate and has a MUCH BETTER trigger pull. The SR9C (for Compact) is rumored to have the best trigger out of ALL the pistols in that league available on the market. Everyone loves how crisp and clean the trigger break feels. Have a friend that owns the SR9 that was old Army trained with a 1911 .45 and swears this pistol was easy to use and is the most accurate handgun he has ever fired. His son didn't believe him until a magazine later and now wants one as well. The newest is the SR45 which should be a great gun (not to be confused with their new SR1911 model .45 with it's hammer). Many law enforcement agents and security guards still like the P-95 and it's an excellent value for the price.

#21 ·
I have a Ruger P89 that I bought new back in '94 as the 1st gun I ever bought. The only thing I ever did to it was put Houge grips on it. I took it out to the range just last moth. Wow I love this gun. In the nearly 20 years I have shot this gun I can not remember a feeding, misfire, or any malfunction of any kind.

I carried this as my CCW when I first got my license. What a chunk. My first public carry was the mall at Christmas, I thought everyone could see my gun (they prob could if they were looking). Feel much more at ease hiding my baby Glock these days.

What a fun gun to shoot. We have open carry here now and if I was going to open carry I would not hesitate one second to throw the P89 on my hip with its 15+1 of 9mm.

#22 ·
Have a P85 and P89 had them for years a rather large 9mm by today's standard but still fine weapons that fire as well today as ever. But what else would you expect they are Ruger's.

#25 ·
The P95 is the last of the P series in production.

Ruger has moved away from the P series to the striker fired, polymer framed SR series. The change was likely due to new designs that would also be cheaper and easier to produce.

My first pistol purchase was a KP90DC that I still own today and will never sell or trade away. It is on the bulky side and not ideal for concealed carry. But it is reliable as all can be, easy to field strip and more accurate than it should be for its price point.

#29 ·
I have a P95 decocker that i love. i keep it in my jeep it shoots very well and is ultra reliable. I bought it new during the first AWB so all i have is ten rounders for it, but since i do not carry it i do not see that as a huge disadvantage. I did sell mine one time and missed it so bad i bought it back. I will never make that mistake again.

#32 ·
I had one of the Ruger P89's a long time ago and I sold it. It was a very accurate gun and VERY dependable.
I bought my P95 about 6 or 7 months ago and was glad I did!
I paid $319 out the door with extra mag and hard plastic case. Oh yeah, It also came with that stupid "bike" lock as well.
I almost bought a Sigma 9mm but the salesman talked me into the P95. Glad he did cause the Ruger is dead on deadly accurate! This one is a blued model with decock and safety.
I have three mags and this bad boy is not going any where.
I placed a Hough Handall rubber sleeve on it as the plastic is slippery. It's a tad thick but it shoots so nice!

#33 ·
I bought a used P-85, was my very first gun (owned gun). No idea how many rounds went through my p-85 prior to my owning, but I've put at least 1,000 through it. I remember my very first shot with her. Left the gun store with a 9mm white box. Went to a sand pit and put a 12'' target up, walked back about 20 feet, pulled the trigger and right in the middle of the bulls eye. Never had any issue with that gun and it is my main carry gun. I love the 17rd aspect of it. I don't have any issue iwb carrying (even with my walmart belt) and if I'm not carrying it, my p-85 sits in my bedside holster. I would recommend that if anyone comes across a p-85 they just get it because they are that amazing. I know if I ever find another I'm just going to get it on the spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.