Ruger LC9 or LC380 Problems fixed?

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 or LC380 Problems fixed? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been doing some research for trying to come up with a budget friendly gun for my wife. We have been going to different ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 or LC380 Problems fixed?

I have been doing some research for trying to come up with a budget friendly gun for my wife. We have been going to different stores and handling a lot of different guns to see what fit her hands, prices etc. Tomorrow she is going to go to the range a fire some to see how they feel when firing. One of the guns on "the list" that fits the budget and my wifes hand include the Ruger LC9, or LC380. The problem in the research is that the trigger has had a history of malfunctioning and failing to reset. However, these reports seem to be from about a year or so ago. Does anyone know if Ruger has fixed this issue?

There are a lot of reviews on the LC's but I am not finding anything current, has anyone had any recent experience or are is anyone aware if this issue was fixed?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Own 2 LC9's had two LCP's gave one to my daughter. None of the weapons have ever had a single issue. doubt they ever will.
    Kind of like if you read the internet every Harley blows up a 10 K and needs rebuilding every 5k.
    Ruger has been around a long time Depending on how your read the numbers they sell far more weapons than many others combined . They would not still be here if they did not sell a great product.
    Some claim the JCP is now the top selling of all time.

I carry the LC9 every day and haven't had any of the problems you've been reading about. It definitely has earned my confidence. I'd say if she likes it, then go for it. Great little gun in my opinion.

Doubt seriously if there are any trigger issues with either gun. There are none to be found to purchase.

I have the lc9 and the lcp.The lc9 has maybe a slightly longer trigger pull than some,but,its no big deal to me.Other than that,i've had no problems.I've put around 500 rds thru both.

Quote Originally Posted by Momokahn View Post
    Doubt seriously if there are any trigger issues with either gun. There are none to be found to purchase.
    ?? I just handled both the LC9 and the LC380. We went shopping/researching today, and found them at several different gun stores. You may not have any there, but we do here! Along with ammo, AR's.. etc. Things are starting to hit the shelves here again, and we were not hit as hard as some other areas are.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My wife just decided on the LC9 as her carry weapon. I tried to talk her into a S&W Shield but she liked the Ruger better. It seems fairly well built. We plan to shoot it some Monday and next weekend.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Never have seen a problem with the trigger failing to reset but it does have a long trigger pull that takes some getting used to. Pretty accurate for a little gun though.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

I have thousands of trouble-free rounds through my LC9 - LOVE IT!!!!
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

What problem with the LC9?
    I have not had any!
    Go for it.... They are great guns.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    My wife just decided on the LC9 as her carry weapon. I tried to talk her into a S&W Shield but she liked the Ruger better. It seems fairly well built. We plan to shoot it some Monday and next weekend.

Tundra5.7, how did it go at the range? I've shot a few thousand rounds through my LC9...but I must say that it took me 300-400 rounds to really get familiar with, and feel comfortable with, that long trigger pull. Now, it is awesome! And, I've tried 8-9 different types of ammo through it...not one failure of any kind in several thousand rounds. In fact, I've been so impressed that I've just bought my wife an LC380. She's been shooting a Bersa Thunder 380, but we've found several different types of ammo that the Bersa does not like. So, as impressed I've been with the LC9, I know the LC380 will be great for the wife. Should be in next week, and we'll try it out and see.

While I still had the stock trigger group in my LC9 I never had any issues with it. For an extra $40 or so you can install a Galloway trigger kit that decreases the length of pull by half. I have one in mine, and have put hundreds of rounds through it without issue since I upgraded.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Horrible trigger. Magazine disconnect 'safety' is a deal breaker. Long trigger pull makes accuracy impossible. Good luck.

Long trigger pull makes accuracy impossible
    Yeah, go tell that to the ICORE guys!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Horrible trigger. Magazine disconnect 'safety' is a deal breaker. Long trigger pull makes accuracy impossible. Good luck.
    Great job there bashing the LC9 instead of answering the OP's question.

Horrible trigger? Yes. Still, excellent accuracy is possible with the stock trigger. Most of us are taught to shoot a pistol by using the first pad of the trigger finger on the trigger. With a small framed pistol like the LC9, use either the second pad or either of the two finger joint creases depending on how long your finger is. Once I started pulling the LC9 trigger with the second pad (by the time the trigger broke I was pulling with the second crease) I was able to shoot one ragged hole groups with my LC9. Installing a Galloway trigger kit is cheap and is a huge improvement.

Magazine disconnect safety a deal-breaker? for you maybe, but I and others aren't bothered by it. I wonder how many lives have been saved by this feature? Certainly no lives have been lost because of it.

Inaccurate? I don't think so!
    mwhartman and DubH00 like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links