Defensive Carry banner

Why does h&k not get much love?

5K views 59 replies 48 participants last post by  DwFall 
#1 ·
I'm just curious, how come not much is talked about h&k? I was under the impression they were quality. Am I missing something that precludes them from carry? Is it just the price?

I rarely see them referenced at all.

Thanks

#32 ·
I only hate them because I don't have any yet!

Joking aside they seem to have a rabid following. Price seems to be the major deterant, but many 1911s are just as, if not more, expensive. I will have one/some eventually.

#34 ·
I guess it's price and availability. Even though SIGs and 1911s are spendy, you do see them in the shop a lot more often than you would with HKs (at least in my area). So at least I get to fondle SIGs and would desire them more (I have several now). But that doesn't mean I wouldn't kill to get my hands on a MP5 (9mm) or a UMP (.45)

#36 ·
I have other pistols that I love! And I carry some of them more than the HKs. But HK is in a league that few others are. In my opinion, they are superior to even very high-quality firearms like Glock and Springfield.

While they are expensive compared to other pistols on the market, there is nothing that is an HK. They are made to a standard of durability and accuracy that other manufactures are not (the punishment tests you hear of are only one example). The fit and finish is excellent.

There are many other purpose-built firearms that fill the function of a carry pistol better than what many people, including me, consider limited options available in the HK line-up. But if the ergonomics fit you and you shoot the pistol well, there will be no disappointment in owning one. ...not in lieu of, but in addition to you other firearms.

#42 ·
I have had my P7 since '94, and I still think if I had to pare it down to one pistol (makes me shiver just think about it...) that would be the one I would keep. Pretty easy to carry, wicked accurate, GREAT trigger and a very safe action. The unique code of arms is actually comforting too.

If only they had made it in stainless...

#43 ·
I think it is a matter of price, as nobody questions their reliability. The value vs. quality of a Glock or S&W M&P is simply outstanding, so that is why most people choose them for concealed carry. Another reason is that H&K is not used by many law enforcement agencies like in the case of Glock and M&P pistols and as such they don't get many reviews or have as many good deals or aftermarket parts. I have an HK USP Compact .40 and I absolutely love it. I want to buy an HK45!

#44 ·
Several years ago while doing research for a possible new EDC I found that only four government agencies purchased them; the US Boarder Patrol, Maine State Police and one police department in California, plus a very small number had been purchased by the US Navy.

I did not purchase the H&K for several reasons, the trigger, but most of all the price. I chose a XD40SC and after more than 6K rounds fired without a failure of any type I am glad I did so........My next purchase will be the XDs.

#47 ·
I bought my USPc .45 auto a long time ago and still have it. It's certainly not "compact" so I don't carry it as much as I'd like, but it's a great gun and has always been reliable. I happen to think it's nice looking.

#49 ·
Sure it's a spoof, but all great comics will tell you, there has to be some truth in every joke...

An open letter to the gun community from HK’s marketing department:

In a world of compromises, some people put the bullets in the magazine backwards…But it doesn’t matter, because our gun is on the cover of the Rainbow Six video games. Look how cool that SEAL coming out of the water looks… If you buy a $2,000 SOCOM, you will be that cool of an operator too. And chicks will dig you.

At HK, we stuck a piston on an AR15, just like a bunch of other companies have done, dating back to about 1969. However ours is better, because we refuse to sell it to civilians. Because you suck, and we hate you.

Our XM8 is the greatest rifle ever developed. It may melt, and it doesn’t fit any accessories known to man, but that is your fault. If you were a real operator, you would love it. Once again, look at Rainbow Six, that G36 sure is cool isn’t it? Yeah, you know you want one.And by the way, check out our new HK45. We decided that humans don’t need to release the magazine with their thumbs. If you were a really manly teutonic operator, you would be able to reach the controls. Plus we’ve fired 100,000,000 rounds through one with zero malfunctions, and that was while it was buried in a lake of molten lava, on the moon. If you don’t believe us, it is because you aren’t a real operator.

By the way, our cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns like the G3 and MP5 are the bestest things ever, and totally worth asinine scalpers prices, but note that cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns from other countries are commie garbage. Not that it matters, because you’re civilians, so we won’t sell them to you anyway. Because you suck, and we hate you, but we know you’ll be back. We can beat you down like a trailer park wife, but you’ll come back, you always do.

Buy our stuff.
Sincerely
HK Marketing DepartmentHK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

Reactions: goawayfarm
#51 ·
HKs

I, somehow, over the years have spent a bit of cash on many pistols including several HKs---why HK? Because they always work and keep on working---my first HK (1994) USPf 9mm has NEVER failed to function in over 19 years! When I go out shooting with a group of friends, everybody wants to try my HKs and always comments about what a fine piece of machinery it is---smooth and reliable. The latest pistols (P2000, P30, 45C, etc.) are even better! Life is short, enjoy the good stuff!

#53 ·
I just received a factory 15 round mag for the USP9 I have on layway. With the scarcity of mags I decided to suck it up and pay (gulp!) the $50 to have a 4th one for the gun. You never know what the market might be down the road. I'm considering picking up a USP in .40, too, since there always seems to be a ton of ammo for it around.

#54 ·
I was just browsing in a gun store in Springfield Il. The store had a decent stock on some guns(Beretta,Sigs, Taurus, 1911s). At he bottom of the sig display was 4 HKs. I was so tempted to hold one but was afraid if I did I would want it. To me for a ploymere pistol they seemed pricey. But I have never shot one or even held one.

#55 ·
Be very careful, Eric. The longer you hold an HK, the more reasonable the price seems to be, until it's just a matter of signing your name and relieving that desire.

I know, it happened to me the first time I held the HK. Now I have a P30S I wouldn't do without.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.