Why does h&k not get much love?

This is a discussion on Why does h&k not get much love? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm just curious, how come not much is talked about h&k? I was under the impression they were quality. Am I missing something that precludes ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Why does h&k not get much love?

I'm just curious, how come not much is talked about h&k? I was under the impression they were quality. Am I missing something that precludes them from carry? Is it just the price?

I rarely see them referenced at all.

Thanks

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarg28 View Post
    I'm just curious, how come not much is talked about h&k? I was under the impression they were quality. Am I missing something that precludes them from carry? Is it just the price?
    Pretty much. I'm tickled pink with mine.

Pricey. I guess. good question.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Re: Why does h&k not get much love?

I don't like DA triggers or manual safeties.
    Though H&K are supposed to be very good pistols.

Just personally not my preference.

In God and Glock we Trust

Overall, I'd say it's the price, and the fact that H&K hasn't tried to conquer the law enforcement market with trade-in deals to good to refuse, a' la Glock and S&W. Border Patrol (or whatever they're called this month) seems to like 'em just fine. The H&Ks have historically been almost "over"-engineered and ahead of their time, such as the VP70Z with its molded polymer grip and 20+ round magazine, and the marvelous P7 with polygonal rifling and a locking system that would reliably eject a spent case even if the extractor was broken or missing.
    Yarg28 and R040607 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Very good guns but I dont have one nor will I ever because to me they are just plain ugly.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Overall, I'd say it's the price, and the fact that H&K hasn't tried to conquer the law enforcement market with trade-in deals to good to refuse, a' la Glock and S&W. Border Patrol (or whatever they're called this month) seems to like 'em just fine. The H&Ks have historically been almost "over"-engineered and ahead of their time, such as the VP70Z with its molded polymer grip and 20+ round magazine, and the marvelous P7 with polygonal rifling and a locking system that would reliably eject a spent case even if the extractor was broken or missing.
    Ok, now I REALLY want to check them out.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Fewer people own them because they are rather pricey...and everyone thinks that what they own is the best (or at least that's the case on the interwebs)

Many people say that they don't like them because they don't want a certain type of trigger setup....but the honest truth is that if you choose an HK45 or a USP, you can choose pretty much any trigger type you want - single action with a manual safety, double action only (HK calls it LEM), or DA/SA with a decocker. Personally, the ergonomics on the HK's work very well for me - and that was what made me buy both of the HK's that I currently own. I'd be lying if I said that the exceptional reputation that HK has for reliability isn't a plus (mine run more reliably than an watch I own), over-engineering, and testing their products to a ridiculous level isn't something that I like....but the deciding factor was the way that the pistols fit my hand.

JD
    Administrator
    From a previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The DA/SA trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but the LEM variants are pretty nice. I run mine as SAOs so the DA trigger doesn't bother me.

As for the cost, yeah but HK has to pay for the engineering somehow.

I've never heard of HK having to recall a firearm.

I've never head of HK having to send out a ton or replacement parts to fix breakages, the only part that seems prone to failure is the trigger return springs, usually on higher round count guns, and that's depends on what spring you've got. I don't think I've heard of a 8.5lbs spring breaking yet.

I've never heard of HK having to revamp and send out replacement recoil springs.

I've never heard of HKs having rust problems

I've never heard an obscene amount of guns having to go back to the factory.

I've never heard of HKs having extractor issues.

I've never heard of them having any "quality" issues.

All in all they're pretty well built guns and they have much less issues than almost every other manufacturer I can think of.

The only real drawbacks are:

DA/SA trigger and if you shoot the gun enough, you'll learn how to shoot it well. If you MUST have a DA/SA trigger though, I would probably opt for something else. But if you're open to double action only, the LEM trigger is pretty nice.

Parts availability is extremely lacking. However I've ordered some stuff direct from HK with no problems so far. But aftermarket support is very lacking.

Magazines are expensive, however an HK mag is expected to last the average life span of the gun - 20K.

If you want a glimpse of what to expect from HK, read the last two entries of the P30 and Hk45 tests done by Todd Green of Pistol-Training.com

pistol-training.com Blog Archive P30 Thursday: Week Forty-Two

91,322 rounds
    13 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 5 parts breakages

test ended at: 91,622 rounds

From 1-May-09 to 19-Mar-10 — 322 days — the pistol fired 91,322 rounds.

Of those 322, it spent 130 days at the range, averaging over 700 rounds per trip.

It spent 512 hours at the range, averaging almost 180 rounds per hour. By the way, 512 hours is more than three weeks at twenty four hours per day, seven days a week.

That rnd/hr number is a bit skewed, though, because it includes many hours on the range teaching. When you look at just my personal practice routines, the gun was regularly firing 350-550 rounds per hour.

During the entire test, the pistol experienced a total of thirteen stoppages. Those who have followed the test from the beginning will remember that the first seven were the result of an out-of-spec mainspring that was replaced before the 10,000 round mark. The last three, as reported above, were in quick succession due to the gun reaching the end of its service life. Between the time when the mainspring was replaced and the gun’s final death throes, there were only three stoppages… that’s less than one stoppage per 27,000 rounds fired.
    pistol-training.com Blog Archive HK45 Endurance test: Week Thirty Seven
    50,000 rounds
    1 stoppages 1 (*) malfunctions 1 parts breakages

50,000 rounds in just over eight months.

52 total days of testing

96 trips to the range
    average 520.8 rounds per trip

392 hours of range time
    average 127.5 rounds per hour

The HK45 was fired in nine States… and one foreign country, eh?

Twelve different types of ammunition from nine different manufacturers were used:

CCI Blazer 230gr FMJ: 26,185
    Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ: 21,354
    Remington UMC 230gr MC: 850
    Winchester 230gr Ranger SXT: 542
    PMC 230gr FMJ: 600
    ASYM 230gr FMJ Match: 124
    ASYM 185gr National Match Target: 120
    Black Hills 230gr FMJ: 50
    Mag Tech 230gr MC: 50
    Pro Load 230gr Match FMJ: 50
    Winchester (white box) 230gr FMJ: 50
    Remington 230gr Golden Saber BJHP: 25

The pistol was only cleaned seven times during the entire test, going 10,181 rounds between cleanings at one point.

...their P9S was to die for...their quality is impeccable...worth the $$...
    OD* likes this.

Great guns... but have you seen the prices ? Glock, S&W, Ruger, springfield etc all have weapons of outstanding qaulity and performance for half the cost.
    Philly Boy likes this.

...they are Cadillacs...in a Chevy economy...Kahr had a good idea to make the same model features in different grades...Henry does it with some of their rifles...change with the times and give the public what they can afford...

I just recently bought an HK USP .45 compact. I spent quite a bit of time dry firing in DA mode with some snap caps. The nice thing about that is the DA is so heavy and long that the dry fire practice made me shoot my Glock better.

I got a full size USP .40 i will TRADE. Show me some pice of what you got. i got the case and two 10 round mags.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

My EDC gun is the usp .40 compact and I love it. If I could change anything about it, it would be the fact its a tad heavy. I like the DA/SA trigger with the safety personally.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links