S&W model 66-1 combat .357 mag. - Page 3

S&W model 66-1 combat .357 mag.

This is a discussion on S&W model 66-1 combat .357 mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good handgun! That was my first concealed carry gun back a couple of decades ago. Just get a good holster....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: S&W model 66-1 combat .357 mag.

VIP Member
    Good handgun! That was my first concealed carry gun back a couple of decades ago. Just get a good holster.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The first firearm I bought myself was a S&W 66. Must of been one of the first batch. Had a bunch of Pa. State Troopers drooling over that baby!
    Sure wish I still had it.
    I would buy that old 66 in a second at $450 and do my own finish work. I'm guessing some dipstick used steel wool on it and you'll just have to use some non-metal abrasive to get it looking even better than new. I'd take that used 66 over a NIB version with that ugly lock.
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^Please excuse my ignorance^^^^

Either I am overlooking the obvious, or I surely don't know what P&R means
    I was thinking P&R = Pitted and Rusted
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The S&W 66 is one of the best revolvers made. Carried one personally for many years, no regrets or issues.
    USM1976 likes this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    You can't go wrong with a Model 66 4-inch! A Model 66, if in good condition, would be well worth $500. There was a time, early in my shooting career when the Model 66 4-inch was harder to come by than the mighty Model 29 during the "Dirty Harry" years. Lawmen and agencies snapped them up faster than they could be produced. The shooting public was practically left out in the cold in acquiring one of these once extremely desirable revolvers and scalpers' prices were the order of the day with huge mark-ups, even on used examples. The other old geezers here on the Forum will remember.

The 4-inch Model 66 is the most convenient .357 Magnum revolver that's ever been built for general belt holster use. The 4-inch also may be concealed in a nice high-rise holster, shoulder holster, and even inside-the-waistband with some thought and the right holster. The 4-inch Model 66 would be a top choice for home defense. A 4-inch barrel will extract a great deal of the performance capabilities out of powerful .357 Magnum ammunition.

The Model 66 is not a large revolver but rather a medium-sized revolver. Only the 6-inch version might be a bit unwieldy for some applications.

There's a 2-1/2 inch Model 66 and it's the very best concealable .357 Magnum revolver that has ever built.

The stainless steel construction makes the Model 66 appealing to many who feel they need the additional corrosion resistance.

The Model 19 offers the same K-Frame size convenience with the same barrel lengths but comes in blued steel or nickel. I wish Smith & Wesson had never discontinued the K-Frame Magnums. They make as much sense now as they did when Bill Jordan agitated for them back in 1955.

I use this photo every so often to illustrate the various sizes of classic .357 Magnum revolvers that Smith & Wesson turned out. I like 'em all better than any of the new ones currently being produced. I particularly have no use for any small 5-shot J-Frame .357 Magnum revolver or similar sized .357 Magnum revolver models of other revolver makers but that's only personal opinion rearing its persnickety head.

Top to bottom:

Large N-Frame Model 27 6-inch, blue finish
    Medium(-ish) L-Frame Model 586 4-inch, blue finish
    Medium K-Frame Model 19 4-inch, nickel finish
    Medium K-Frame Model 66 2 1/2-inch round butt, stainless steel

Smith & Wesson Model 66 - Profile of S&W Model 66 357 Magnum Stainless Steel Combat Revolver - 66-1 Review
    ************************************************** **********************************************
    What he said! Grab that bad boy up!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I'm certainly no expert on S&W revolvers but I have been looking at prices a lot lately on various models lately, including the 66. $450 is a darn good price even with the pitting you described. The listings on Gunbroker now are crazy high. So, it is your sworn duty as a DC member to enter the S&W revolver fraternity NOW!!!
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    P&R = pretty and relished
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Old Grunt...I wish I had that group of guns! Talking about a beautiful collection.

Update on the 66-1 I was looking at. When I called back he was headed out the door to show someone else...they bought it. This was a case of just not knowing enough when I had it in my hand. That one smarted for a day or so. Next time though!!!!!!

All the help and advise was appreciated...really. I do have a 642 jframe, just wanted to keep adding.

Awww...hate to hear that. But, it's certainly happened to all of us on occasion. I've always been good at spotting a "deal" at a large gun show like Market Hall in Dallas, saying that I need to see the rest of the show first, then going back to find it gone. Which isn't as bad as driving back to the show the next day after considering the "deal" overnight, only to find it's gone, which has also occurred.
    oneshot and scgunlover1 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Got a Sparks VMII on the way for mine. :)
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

To the OP, I'm really sorry to hear that. One's out there with your name on it, count on it
    NRA Life Member

you missed out on a 66-1 for $450? Ouch.

I just finished refurbing a Model 66-5 with a bad nickel finish for a friend of mine.
    A little Mothers Mag Polish will do wonders for stainless and nickel guns that have seen better days.
    I went into a state of mourning with S&W discontinued the Model 19 and 66. My most favorite
    of all self defense revolvers.
    Not to big.....not too small....just right.

my SW 19-5 which was a used Police Range trade in....didn't look like it was fired at all. Made sometime around 1981 if
    memory is correct.

this gun is NOT for sale as long as I am breathing.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Bring 'em back, Smith & Wesson! Ya hear that?!
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Bring them back and without the lock.

I have to admit that one stung. Had it in my hand. Just was not sure SS could be buffed out. Now I know. Still looking but most are so expensive. Found a 66 original. Was a beauty but he wanted over 800 bucks. Found another but would not ship out of state. It was 500 no dashes either. Getting a bit frustrating. Considering a 686 new. Possibly a 3 inch with 7 round capacity. Still waiting on my turn...again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links