S&W model 66-1 combat .357 mag.

This is a discussion on S&W model 66-1 combat .357 mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to this forum. Can anyone tell me if a model 66- 1 is a good hand gun? 4" barrel and looks to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: S&W model 66-1 combat .357 mag.

I am new to this forum. Can anyone tell me if a model 66- 1 is a good hand gun? 4" barrel and looks to be in great shape looks like nichol plate. Is it worth 500 dollars are is that out of line? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

It's worth the money if in good shape and it's made of stainless steel to answer ur other question. Shoots 357 or 38 special..
    oneshot likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    Around here that is a good price and the Model 66 is a very fine revolver, buy it you will not be disappointed.
    oneshot and scgunlover1 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thank you.

Get it !!!!! you will love it
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Love my Model 66-7. If it is in good shape $500 is a great rate.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

You can't go wrong with a Model 66 4-inch! A Model 66, if in good condition, would be well worth $500. There was a time, early in my shooting career when the Model 66 4-inch was harder to come by than the mighty Model 29 during the "Dirty Harry" years. Lawmen and agencies snapped them up faster than they could be produced. The shooting public was practically left out in the cold in acquiring one of these once extremely desirable revolvers and scalpers' prices were the order of the day with huge mark-ups, even on used examples. The other old geezers here on the Forum will remember.

The 4-inch Model 66 is the most convenient .357 Magnum revolver that's ever been built for general belt holster use. The 4-inch also may be concealed in a nice high-rise holster, shoulder holster, and even inside-the-waistband with some thought and the right holster. The 4-inch Model 66 would be a top choice for home defense. A 4-inch barrel will extract a great deal of the performance capabilities out of powerful .357 Magnum ammunition.

The Model 66 is not a large revolver but rather a medium-sized revolver. Only the 6-inch version might be a bit unwieldy for some applications.

There's a 2-1/2 inch Model 66 and it's the very best concealable .357 Magnum revolver that has ever built.

The stainless steel construction makes the Model 66 appealing to many who feel they need the additional corrosion resistance.

The Model 19 offers the same K-Frame size convenience with the same barrel lengths but comes in blued steel or nickel. I wish Smith & Wesson had never discontinued the K-Frame Magnums. They make as much sense now as they did when Bill Jordan agitated for them back in 1955.

I use this photo every so often to illustrate the various sizes of classic .357 Magnum revolvers that Smith & Wesson turned out. I like 'em all better than any of the new ones currently being produced. I particularly have no use for any small 5-shot J-Frame .357 Magnum revolver or similar sized .357 Magnum revolver models of other revolver makers but that's only personal opinion rearing its persnickety head.

Top to bottom:

Large N-Frame Model 27 6-inch, blue finish
    Medium(-ish) L-Frame Model 586 4-inch, blue finish
    Medium K-Frame Model 19 4-inch, nickel finish
    Medium K-Frame Model 66 2 1/2-inch round butt, stainless steel

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ss/...umrevolver.htm
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

We'll move this to an appropriate section where folks can see it and chime in if they like.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I carried that pistol for ten years on my side :) that should be stainless . Thousands and thousands of rounds I put thru that pistol with one issue with a high side primer with a box of reloads for qualifying . Not the guns fault. Nice weapon. I still remember the serial number .

VIP Member
    Buy it! If its in A-1 shape, its worth it.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thumbs up

A four inch M66 should be pretty useful. The grips can be easily changed to fit your hands and it shoots everything from mild 38 wadcutters to full power Magnums. Handy pistols.

Here is a 4" M19-3 and a 2 1/2" M66-2:

Model 66 fan...

I like the model 66 so well that I have 3 of them, in 2.5 and 3.0 inch barrels. The trigger pull is excellent and the guns are very durable.

Eric357, oneshot, wmhawth and 4 others like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Pogo2, do you know when they stopped making the 66?

It was what the FBI carried for awhile IIRC back in the 80's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I love and carry my 66-1 2.5" all the time. It is my favorite handgun. I would buy one for 500 any day of the week so pick it up!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links