VINTAGE COLT 1911 Owners

VINTAGE COLT 1911 Owners

This is a discussion on VINTAGE COLT 1911 Owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question that is likely to make many of you cringe at the mear thought of what I'm going to suggest. Fact: I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: VINTAGE COLT 1911 Owners

VINTAGE COLT 1911 Owners

I have a question that is likely to make many of you cringe at the mear thought of what I'm going to suggest.

Fact: I'm a new shooter
    Fact: I'm getting invovled with IDPA
    Fact: It's been suggested that I use a gun with a longer barrel than my EDC Shield for IDPA; the assumiption is "train with a longer barrel and my increased accuracy will translate to my Shield."
    Fact: I own a vintage Colt 1911 Super 38 (Serial # below 5,000) with worthless sights, that I could use for training.
    QUESTION: If I spend a couple hundred bucks to give it usable sights, what will I be doing to the value of the Colt?

Thanks!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

It's a fact of life; compact, short-barreled guns are at a disadvantage in the shooting games. And all things being equal, which they never are, most shooters will improve their shooting skills faster with a heavier, longer-barreled gun than with a compact. I'm an experienced shooter, but I still have to work hard at making little guns hit where I want them to. The suggestion to practice with a bigger gun is a good one, but obviously it carries a financial impact. A few thoughts -

Go on GunBroker and see what vintage Colt .38 Supers are going for, before you change a thing on it. I think you have a collectible that's worth more as-is.

Unless you reload, .38 Super is a pricey and slightly scarce round. Once you have a decent supply of brass, you can reload for about the same cost as reloading 9mm, especially if you're not trying to reach "major" power factor.

If your Colt has no sentimental value to you, I think with a little effort you could trade it off for a newer Colt with better sights, in .45 or 9mm (not as prolific as the .45). But if you want to hang onto it, then save up and get a used 1911. Before the panic, you could find Springfields and Para-Ordnance guns in the $500 range, which I consider modest. While my TRP is in the shop, I've reverted back to my 1990-vintage 1911-A1 and I'm shooting just fine with it (and in fact have moved up a class while using it). It's a basic gun with a trigger job and OEM 3-dot sights, nothing fancy at all.
    oneshot and smolck like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Good advice^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or look into getting an M&P or Glock, or Springfield with a long slide in you're favorite caliber, and keep your Colt.

Good luck in your decision, personally I'd keep the Colt stock.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

OD*
    If you have a Colt Super. 38ACP below serial number 5,000, it's a first year production (1929) and could be worth a small fortune depending on condition, changing sights will ruin it's value. Sell it and buy something else.
    QKShooter and bmcgilvray like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member

VINTAGE COLT 1911 Owners

I would keep it for my son and get something else
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    I have a question that is likely to make many of you cringe at the mear thought of what I'm going to suggest.

Fact: It's been suggested that I use a gun with a longer barrel than my EDC Shield for IDPA; the assumiption is "train with a longer barrel and my increased accuracy will translate to my Shield."
    Fact: I own a vintage Colt 1911 Super 38 (Serial # below 5,000) with worthless sights, that I could use for training.
    QUESTION: If I spend a couple hundred bucks to give it usable sights, what will I be doing to the value of the Colt?

Thanks!
    You'll be putting sights on a classic Colt? Cutting a front sight in, and putting on another higher adjustable one? Personally, I don't think you're gonna like it when and it's finished, and you'll kick yourself afterwards.
    I'd save the gun as an investment, and go buy something like a Glock 34/35, M&P Pro, older German Made Sig P226 9mm. Geeze, I'd even trade ya for one of my guns for that Colt.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I think you should just use your every day carry gun for IDPA. You are in it to get better not make a living.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Thanks!

Ill send you a brand new in the box glock 21 45 acp for your 38 super.

Modifying old Colts

I have a number of Colt Gold Cups for both shooting and collecting. Those that are for collecting are generally in new and unfired condition, and I don't shoot them or modify them. Those that are for shooting were generally acquired used and show signs of wear. I feel free to modify or improve these worn Colts, since their value to me is for their fine shooting qualities. I guess you have to decide which category your Colt 38 Super is in, and act accordingly.

Shown below is a vintage Colt Gold Cup of 1968 manufacture that I bought used for $600 about 20 years ago. I have modified the gun by re-blueing, installation of a Wilson hammer and beavertail, new grip panels and a S&A magwell. It doesn't look much like the original gun but is a great shooter. I don't regret working on the gun, because it is now better for me than it once was.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a number of Colt Gold Cups for both shooting and collecting. Those that are for collecting are generally in new and unfired condition, and I don't shoot them or modify them. Those that are for shooting were generally acquired used and show signs of wear. I feel free to modify or improve these worn Colts, since their value to me is for their fine shooting qualities. I guess you have to decide which category your Colt 38 Super is in, and act accordingly.

Shown below is a vintage Colt Gold Cup of 1968 manufacture that I bought used for $600 about 20 years ago. I have modified the gun by re-blueing, installation of a Wilson hammer and beavertail, new grip panels and a S&A magwell. It doesn't look much like the original gun but is a great shooter. I don't regret working on the gun, because it is now better for me than it once was.

That's a pretty sweet looking gun! Nice job.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
    Ill send you a brand new in the box glock 21 45 acp for your 38 super.

PLUS How much Cash???
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

PLUS How much Cash???

Just offering before you chop up the colt, I got a soft spot in my heart for 1911's

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The Super .38 is just too collectable to modify/ruin. Either sell it to someone who will treasure it as is and get something else or buy something outright to game with. Shooting an M&P would be a good idea to keep your skills fresh on your Shield. The games would translate to your SD/EDC gun more than shooting a 1911 would.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

OK. I hear what everyone is saying!

So, here's my next question; should I shoot my vintage Colt, or just set it aside and not use it?
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

I love vintage Colt Government Models. I don't just love vintage guns to look at them though. I'd give that Colt occasional exercise at the range and also would develop a stable of .38 Super handloads that it liked to shoot. Besides, the sights aren't that bad on a vintage Colt .38 Super of that era.

I would not be for altering such a gun in any fashion. For the cost of decent sights and their installation one would not be very many hundred dollars from just acquiring a good used Smith & Wesson model that mimics the Shield but is larger/longer. Take the cost of decent sights and their installation onto the Colt .38 Super and add a thousand dollar bill and that sum represents the amount of value lost through ruination of a correct early Colt Government Model .38 Super.

It's your gun, your possession but it it just doesn't make good sense, dollar wise.

When may we see some photos of your neato Colt?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links