A Sig-oholic in the making?

This is a discussion on A Sig-oholic in the making? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought my P220 back sometime around the middle '90's, on a whim, and thats when I discovered the quality and out of the box ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A Sig-oholic in the making?

I bought my P220 back sometime around the middle '90's, on a whim, and thats when I discovered the quality and out of the box accuracy that Sig has to offer. Out of the guns I had back then, the Sig was definitely the one I shot the most accurately, so I guess thats where the infatuation began, LOL.

Looking back and then taking a glance at my pistol collection now...I can see that most of what I had back then has been sold off or traded, but that P220 is one that I told myself that I would never part with. Naturally, it's just as great now as it was then...so...

Fast forward several years to now... So here we are in the middle of this big panic buying nightmare and I'm in the market for a new gun, so off I go to the fun shop and they're sold out of just about every kind of handgun except for Sig! Glocks, XD's, M&P's, Ruger, Walther, etc. are all but nonexistent. With exception of a couple H&K's, they're sold out of everything except for a whole glass case full of Sig Sauers. So thinking back, I remember how I always wanted a P229...so sure enough, they have a P229R .40 laying there looking at me. I bought it without giving it a second thought. I finally got the P229 I always wanted, so I'm all good.

Two weeks later...I finally get a chance to go shoot it, and naturally being a Saturday, the indoor range is full so I put my name on the list. Now this gives me a few minutes to browse which turned out to be good...and bad. I know that many here can understand that sometimes when you're not really expecting it, something is bound to pop out of nowhere in a gun shop and make you reach for your wallet when you really weren't expecting too. Laying over on the bottom shelf of the used gun case...was a sweet looking P239 that was looking like it needed a home. I was hoping it was a 9mm but it turned out to be another .40 S&W. Eh...no big deal considering 9mm ammo is nowhere to be found in my area, but .40 is quite abundant. I have always liked the .40 anyway so no biggie.

Next...flip over the tag and lets see how much they want to rake me over the coals..........$425.

Umm...I'll TAKE IT!!!

So here I am...three Sigs now and two acquired in just the last two weeks. What worries me, is now I'm thinking I need a P226 to round out the family. Is there a 12 step program for Sig-oholics?

Sorry for the picture quality, but here's a pic of the little family...

Oh by the way...not a full range report, but the P229R has 200 rounds thru it now with one FTRB and two occasions where it failed to lock back after the last round. The FTRB only happened once so I'll call it an isolated incident, and the failures to lock back ended after I adjusted my thumbs forward grip and kept my thumb off the slide release...go figure. The 229 shot like a dream and of course the accuracy is second to none in a DA/SA platform.

The P239 will get to the range soon enough and I'm already looking for a holster. I think I'll stay away from the LGS for a couple weeks as my bank account needs a little recovery time, LOL!!

You got the Sig-ness for sure. Great looking guns ! I really like Sig handguns. I've got two now. A 938 that is super reliable and a new 226R this last week, which shoots like a dream. Now, I'm wanting a 229. Does it end ??? LOL.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Nice collection you have started there!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member
    Very nice. I've been able to avoid the Sig sickness somehow (because I haven't got one yet) .

I'll have to get one someday. . . . .

Nice collection you got going there.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Nice collection. I'm getting that way with HK's.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    A P226 with an Anchor would fit well with that pack.
    Stevew and mano3 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Yes there is a cure for you. Just send them here to me. I do not own a Sig yet. I have admired them for years and have often seriously considered buying one. I'm not sure why I havent yet. The 229 has been the one that I usually gravitate toward. It seems just like the right size for so many applications.

Nicely acquired. I, too, have recently come down with the same affliction so be comforted that there are many of us that are permanently affected by this Signess. Having switched over from skinnier guns to my first P229 a bit more than a month ago, I am afflicted in a rather lovely way. I have a growing list of remedies that may or may not help cure me of this illness, but we will have to administer them carefully so as to weigh the effect of the prescription. Next application in my treatment will be either a P290 or P238, for casual summer carry of course.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Sig availability at present

Your observation that metal frame Sigs are available in the gun stores while they are sold out of polymer guns is consistent with what I have noticed as well. The people who are buying all the guns these days seem to prefer the $500 polymer guns to the $700 to $900 Sigs. I have noticed that the $1000+ 1911s are also still available. I would theorize that many buyers today are first time buyers who have not yet developed a refined taste in handguns and are buying a first gun at the lowest price.

Like you I have a weakness for Sigs and have 6 of them. Two of mine are shown below:

Eric357 likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

May I ask a question on the Sigs. I always thought Sigs were made in Germany but recently read they were starting to make some here in the states. If this is true are the ones made here as nice as the ones made in Germany?

Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a SIG-oholic too. There's no denying that quality is addictive.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    A P226 with an Anchor would fit well with that pack.
    Got one, a gift so I couldn't beat the price! But can't find ammo for it here. Range time will have to wait awhile.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    May I ask a question on the Sigs. I always thought Sigs were made in Germany but recently read they were starting to make some here in the states. If this is true are the ones made here as nice as the ones made in Germany?
    Sig has had manufacturing capabilities here for quite some time, the first gun built in the US was I believe, the P229 in the early 90's. Sig first opened shop in Virginia and then moved to New Hampshire and relocated to a bigger facility a couple of years ago. I've never owned a German Sig, but the four US guns I have owned have been perfect.
    Eric357 likes this.

OP, slap some Hogue G10's on your P229 and you can take it to a whole new level of Sig-ergonomic goodness. I've always had a thing for the P229, but afer trying out a set of OD and black G-Mascus grips in Chain Link, I found a whole new appreciation.

Thanks I didnt realize that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links