Pocket Gun recommendation P380(CW380) or CM9

This is a discussion on Pocket Gun recommendation P380(CW380) or CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to buy a gun I can carry in my front pocket. I wear jeans 90% of the time. I can't carry at ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hardluk1

Thread: Pocket Gun recommendation P380(CW380) or CM9

I would like to buy a gun I can carry in my front pocket. I wear jeans 90% of the time. I can't carry at work during the day.

I know I will have to get my hands on some different guns to make sure what will fit best but I want opinions first so I can do more homework before making a decision.

I am deciding between the P380 or CM9 - actually, I would like the CW380 when it comes out because of the price.

Why I am considering the P380 (CW380):
    I think a 380 will be the easist to pocket carry and I like the Kahr 380 (so far after reasearching) better than the other 380's.
    The CW380 might have the kinks of the P380 worked out and it is less expensive.

Why I am considering the CW9:
    I have read there have been some issues w/ the P380 and have read a lot of positives about the CW9.
    It is not too expensive.
    Seems to be small enough to fit in a pocket without being too bothersome.
    9 as opposed to 380.
    Doesn't seem to be too much bigger then the 380.

Honestly, I know there are a lot of different ways to carry but for right now, I am only interested in pocket carry.

Also:
    1. Is it advisable to leave it locked in my car while I am at work? (Small 4 story building in pretty safe neighborhood).
    2. If so, where is the best place to lock it?

Thanks for any input.

The Ruger LCP is worth checking out.

If not that, the CM9 seems to be your best choice. 9mm and it is not too bigger than the P380.

I would definitely go with the CM9. I have a P380. It is a fun gun to shoot but I feel better with a 9. The p380 is about to go on gunbroker because it sits in the safe too much. I will be purchasing a pm9 soon which is the same guns as the CM9.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I carry one of several kahrs. CW9 is not a pocket pistol. It is a great iwb pistol. The cm9 is a pocket pistol for some. Maybe not a dress slack pocket pistol. Recluse makes the best pocket holster for most. The cw380 ma not be avalible to people for some time as its bran new. Knida like when the shield came out, Year later and there stil far and few between. The taurus tcp 380 is a easy to pocket 380 with a compairible trigger to kahr and cost runs between 180 and 260lgs price dpoending on finish and mags. The kahr p380 of the lastest serial numbers is showing to run well. BUT $$$, You need to know how sensitive to recoil you will be before trying any sub sized 9mms. The latest db9 is said to run well. The KTpf9 is a soild pocket pistol for most too along with kahrs cm9 pm9. Just not easy is shoot for many that pick from these 9mms. Ruger and kts 380's of the lastest upgrades all work ok also. See who live near you that will let you try the pistols . Most shots will.
    tokerblue likes this.

Get them both. They both have their purpose.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

sig 938!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Get them both. They both have their purpose.
    I like this idea ^^^...

I have the CM9 and love it and only carry it in my pocket. I also have a LCP but rarely carry it now. There are days when that is the only thing I can carry so I am glad to have it. If you wear tight jeans the .380 may be your better bet but you can look at them both and see if they work for you and your pockets. My thoughts would be that a person should carry the biggest gun you can comfortably carry, shoot and conceal. I have a number of guns, all of them have their purpose.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    LCP ;)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I have the PM9, P380 and LCP. For front pocket carry I'd definately go with the P380 (or CW380 when it comes out). Much better trigger on the Kahr, its smaller than the LCP also. I have had no trouble with my P380 at all but its a newer 'B' or higher serial #. The 'A' serial #'s seemed to have some bugs but I'd bet Kahr has worked things out now with the later ones as well as the CW380. Enjoy!!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I'm another owner of both the P380 and the PM9. I don't consider the PM9 to be a comfortable pocket carry. It's a little thicker than the P380 and is much heavier. The weight is what you will notice most in pocket carry. The P380 is about 12oz. loaded and the PM9 is about 20oz loaded.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

If you want the very best money can buy you need to buy yourself a new Sig P238. Go try one out before you buy but I know you are going to love it.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Just your opinion on the sig. Might as well buy a cm9 . Same size weight and half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    If you want the very best money can buy you need to buy yourself a new Sig P238. Go try one out before you buy but I know you are going to love it.
    - Pocket carry a single action with a safety? I'll pass.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Cm9. It's a nice one.

Links