Defensive Carry banner

Limp wrist malfunctions with Glock pistols

10K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  OldVet 
#1 ·
There's a lot of information out there about what's commonly called "limp wrist malfunctions", some accurate and some not so accurate. As always I enjoy hearing your thoughts and experiences on the topic.

#2 ·
Theory of limp wristing

I believe that the cycling of any semi automatic handgun depends upon the frame being held firmly so that the slide can go back completely, fully compress the recoil spring, eject the empty casing and reload the chamber with the top round in the magazine. If the frame is not firmly held it will tend to move backwards from the force of recoil at the same time as the slide moves back, preventing the slide from cycling fully. The result can be the jam shown in the Glock of your picture.

I think this problem is more pronounced in polymer frame guns because the frame is light weight and moves backwards more easily unless it is firmly held in the shooter's hand. A steel or aluminum frame has greater weight and more inertia to resist the slide's motion. So "limp wristing" is more pronounced in polymer guns.

#6 ·
I believe that the cycling of any semi automatic handgun depends upon the frame being held firmly so that the slide can go back completely, fully compress the recoil spring, eject the empty casing and reload the chamber with the top round in the magazine. If the frame is not firmly held it will tend to move backwards from the force of recoil at the same time as the slide moves back, preventing the slide from cycling fully. The result can be the jam shown in the Glock of your picture.

I think this problem is more pronounced in polymer frame guns because the frame is light weight and moves backwards more easily unless it is firmly held in the shooter's hand. A steel or aluminum frame has greater weight and more inertia to resist the slide's motion. So "limp wristing" is more pronounced in polymer guns.
Most any auto-loading handgun can experience such a failure, but as you note it's far more likely to occur with polymer framed pistols. The lighter the frame, the more likely it is to happen. The Glock happens to have one of the lightest frames of any polymer framed pistol on the market.

#4 ·
I can tell you from my experiences Ive had three operations on my shoulders an elbows an it left me weak in one arm I quit carrying my 1911 because I limp wristd a couple of times at the range. Just enough where I did not trust it in a emergency situation. But thats ok I love snubbies anyways now carry my SP101 an a few speed strips.

#5 ·
I think it also depends on how stiff the recoil spring is heavier springs require more resistance to cycle the action whereby lighter springs may allow somebody to get by with some limp wristing

#8 ·
I'd be curious to know if using a "self defense" grade ammunition in +P would help decrease or eliminate the limp wrist effect on the G19. The greater force produced by the higher pressures may help overcome this.

#9 ·
I've had one (1) fail-to-feed in my Glock 30, and that was on the second mag I fired when new. Admittedly, I hadn't shot a semiauto in many years, and the Glock trigger caught me a bit by surprise as I was trying to steady the sights on target. My grip wasn't real firm at the time, and I blame that function failure entire on me, as I haven't had another since with either factory loads or reloads.

I haven't found the Glock to need a cast-iron grip, and I've seen a video of a guy holding the grip between his finger and thumb and repeatedly firing the gun with no failures. So I guess that means it can happen, but it doesn't mean it will happen.

#14 ·
Back years ago I owned several Glocks including the G22 and the G17. I was suffering from tendonitis in my right elbow and my right thumb but it never occurred to me that the malfunctions I had with those pistols may have had something to do with those relatively minor injuries.

I never had any issues at all with steel or alloy frame 1911's in .45 so stuck with those.

#15 ·
the only issue I've ever had from any of my Glocks was shooting my G36 weak hand. Had a few stovepipes due to limping it, and once I corrected that I had no problem.
I think the G36 is more prone to the limp wristing issue than any other Glock. I can shoot my G19 with my big toe and it never fails to go bang.

#16 ·
Are these limp-wristing malfunctions more likely with gen.4 glocks over earlier generations due to the new double-spring arrangement?
And how about baby glocks versus compact and full size glocks?
I'm looking for a g26 for one of my daughters, and am thinking that maybe a 'pre-owned' earlier gen model might be a safer bet.

#20 ·
I have g19 and my daughter did have some limp-wristing issues with it at the range.
After some advice and practice she only rarely had an issue. (She also had the same problem with a friend's gen 3 g23.)
My concern is that in a self-defense situation this problem might show up again.
I was just wondering if the likelihood of this sort of malfunction varied from model to model in the 9mms.

#22 ·
Great video to explain the "phenomenon". Every now and then, I would see people at the local range complaining about rental gun jamming. 9 out of 10, it would be from new/first time shooters limp-wristing. Range officer would have to go thru the whole lecture/explanation thing.

#24 ·
OP,just the 9mm that limp wrist happens? Or any sub .40/.45 caliber? Been considering either 9mm or .380 Glock for off duty.

#29 ·
I've been able to cause such malfunctions in most every pistol. In my experience (and from what I read of others experiences) the most problematic pistols are the Glock 9mm's. This certainly rings true in my years of testing and shooting a wide variety of pistols. I can cause malfunctions in most every handgun eventually, including steel framed pistols. However it takes far more effort to do so and the failures are far less likely. With a Glock 19 I can cause a failure almost every round. With a Glock 21 I can cause one or two every magazine. With a G23 I can cause one or two every magazine. I've seen it happen with 1911's, Glock, XD's, etc. when I was a range master for a couple of years. It's easy to spot when you're in such a position. You watch someone clear malfunction after malfunction then I would walk out onto the range and offer assistance. If I could fire the pistol without issue I could conclude it was the operator causing the malfunction and not the ammo, magazine or a malfunctioning/broken firearm.

#26 ·
Very informative video, although I haven't encountered the problem with my Glock 19. I guess I know how to hold the thing, too. I've been a MAC subscriber for a while now. Keep up the good work!

#30 ·
Just my experience, when I had my Diamondback DB9 at the range, I had some manly men try shooting it. They both got FTE's and I told them they were limp wristing it. They said that they could not have. When they handed it back to me I would shoot it and it shot fine. Handed it back to them and again they got FTE's. Handed it back to me and again it shot fine. I believe it is even more pronounced in small powerful guns such as the Diamondback DB9, etc. God Bless :smile:

#31 ·
OP, your point with the G19 is well taken. Perhaps the G19 is more subceptible to limp-wristing than any other make or model. But like all things, training can over come. It's the same with external safety or no external safety; DA, DA/SA, DAO, SAO--any can be used efficiently and effectively with training any practice. Should a G19 be the first handgun for an untrained, first-time user? Maybe not. But then no one of any experience level should use a new firearm until they've put time and rounds thru it. Few of us will ever have to engage in real "combat" shooting, so that leaves us plenty of time to overcome any shortcomings of any make or model.

Great videos, by the way. Keep up the excellent work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.