Baby Eagle II .40 Cal problems anyone else?

This is a discussion on Baby Eagle II .40 Cal problems anyone else? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought this Poly framed Baby Eagle II .40 cal new. Since new it has had failure to feed problems. Slowly getting worse over time. Customer ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AK_Brian

Thread: Baby Eagle II .40 Cal problems anyone else?

Bought this Poly framed Baby Eagle II .40 cal new. Since new it has had failure to feed problems. Slowly getting worse over time. Customer service is questionable at Magnum Research as they dont seem to read the information they ask you to send with the gun for warranty repair. While turn around time has not been an issue. (about a week). I would gladly accept a longer amount of time if they can please get this gun to stop having feeding issues. Gun will sometimes fire as many as 60 to 70 rounds fine then just start having all kinds of issues. Like after return from Magnum Research it jammed on the fourth round fired and did so 8 rounds in the first 50 fired. Had decocker gauged twice, magazines adjusted and modified lips, New extractor installed, head space checked, new barrel installed. Springs checked three times.

Love the way this gun fits my hand as my hands are small. Shot groups are excellent and accurate. But that is all worthless if it continues to jam. Anyone else having this problem? Been to Magnum Research twice and other two other gun smiths locally.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but if they can't fix it, it may be time to dump it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Back from Magnum Research. test fired gun yesterday. It is much improved with a new barrel. Had four failures to feed on the barrel ramp out of 150 rounds. Best it has been ever. Only required me to push the slide with very little pressure to load the round. I think with a little oil on the slide and maybe a few more rounds out the gun (different ammo) might see a good gun after all. We will see.

Although I did find that Magnum Research sent me back one 12 round mag and one 10 round mag by mistake. Had to call and tell them that I sent the gun in with two 12 round magazines and I was given back a 10 round instead. They said they would send me another 12 round magazine to replace the one they misplaced and I could keep the 10 round at no charge. but the magazines were on back order for weeks

Even if it's firing better now, it's not firing anywhere near well enough to carry it as a SD gun. If you just like it and don't mind it being a range gun then keep on working with MR.
    Eric357 likes this.

Dump it, get a glock, problem solved
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

How are you lubricating the pistol? What type of ammo are you running, HP's, ball, reloads? How often are you cleaning the gun?

I bought .40 Baby Desert Eagle in 2008 and it never worked properly. It had feed issues from the start, with the cartridge getting slammed at an angle at the breach. like you, it will fire 60 or so rounds, then jam regularly over the next several magazines. The fact that it would go through a box of ammo made it difficult for the gunsmith to identify. But after couple of visits to a gunsmith, told me he thinks the issue is related to the magazine not being pushed up high enough- I was taking notes pretty fast over the phone, so this may be a little muddled, but I gathered this pistol is actually manufactured by the same company that manufactures Witness, which had similar problems and cured it with a redesigned magazine, latching it up closer to the feed ramp. He says he can fix it pretty easily, but I've spent more on the gun than its worth at this point. I will probably keep it as a range gun- knowing it may jam, I wouldn't trust my life on it, and wouldn't want to mislead someone else to think they can.
    Not sure this gives you enough ammo to get yours fixed, but it might point your gunsmith in the right direction.

Sponsored Links