Steyr CA1

This is a discussion on Steyr CA1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anybody have comments on the Steyr pistols ?. Looked at a CA1 at the range but unable to discuss with the owner....

Thread: Steyr CA1

Steyr CA1

anybody have comments on the Steyr pistols ?. Looked at a CA1 at the range but unable to discuss with the owner.

2. Remove Ads

I lurk much, post rarely but had to chime in on this one.

I love my S9-A1. To me it's like a swiss watch of polymer. When I decided to carry, I came down to that and a Sig P238 SAS but the Steyr won out. It's built to some pretty exact tolerances so you'll definitely want to break it in nice but doing so is a pleasure. Incredibly minimal muzzle flip and recoil is barely there. Rare to meet a Steyr owner who is displeased with their purchase. They are the real deal. I would recommend any of their recent handgun offerings.

JD
    Administrator

Re: Steyr CA1

Our Krav instructor recently bought three Steyrs, so car he's happy with them but he doesn't have much firearms experience to relate them too.

We had a guy show up at an IDPA match with one, he did pretty well and spoke well of the gun.

Going way back a neighbor used to have one, he worked at Colt as an engineer and spoke highly of the gun.

So far I haven't met an unhappy Steyr owner. Holsters can be a little hard to come by, but the guns themselves have a pretty good rep.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

JD
    Administrator
    On a follow up to this, our instructor had a bad run of luck with two out of three Steyr pistols...both gone back to the factory.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

At the NRA convention i was handling them..... Definitely a big thumbs up on how they felt in my hand.

Steyr Club

Cleveland Holsters Lists the Steyrs in their catalog.

I recently started a couple threads in regards to my M9-A1.

I think it's a great gun. The M9 is a little long in the grip for me to conceal this time of year but I really like shooting it and it has never malfunctioned. I recently inquired about an S40-A1 with one of the LGS around here and they weren't able to locate one or I probably would've bought one. Since I happen to own a Steyr and a Glock...I can say with reasonable certainty that Glock owners would also enjoy the Steyr if they ever had the chance to hold and shoot one.

The Steyr M9-A1...Intrigues me.
    First Range Trip With The New Steyr M9-A1...Another Winner!

I've got a bud with one of the older M40s. He swears it's the best polymer gun he's ever owned and there's no telling how many thousands of rounds he's put through it.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I know this isn't a recent thread but wanted to comment anyway...

I've looked at Steyrs a couple of times over the years, and each time I passed on buying them.....and regretted it every time!
    (actually keeping my eye's open for a S/SA-9 now)

Reading on Steyr Club over the years they have had some issues, but nothing major (and honestly, what model gun hasn't been known to have the occasional issue), so I wouldn't let it dissuade me from buying one. The biggest issue is going to be the limited number of holsters available for them.

However having said even that, I'm not sure I really get the point of the CA version. When it comes to carrying concealed the barrel/slide length isn't (usually) the problem, it's the grip size. I think they'd have been better off going with the S/SA size grip and M/MA size barrel/slide.

Yeah I realize that you'd lose round count doing that, but again if you want the higher round count just buy an M/MA and get both the round count and longer slide as I see no advantage with the standard grip and short slide that the CA offers.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

CA1:

What I want to know is whether you can get all three fingers on the grip and if so, is there more "space" under the pinky finger?

I ask because some sites will say that the SA-1 is 4.6" high and another will say it is 5.03" high. Steyr M40 & M9: New Super M Series Pistols

For example: http://www.steyrarms.com/products/sp.../steyr-pistol-c-a1/says the C-A1 is 5.1" (129.54mm) high. The ad says
    Finally, the compact features of the S-A1 series with the full size grip of the M-A1 series has been blended to make a new compact carry pistol.
    For the M-A1 it says that the grip is 130mm high. Steyr Mannlicher US:*Steyr Pistol M-A1

hmmm. Okay, that checks.

The SA-1 is 123mm high: Steyr Mannlicher US:*Steyr Pistol S-A1

That would make it 4.8", which is about the size of the Colt Officer / Sig Duo-Tone 1911 / some Kimber (I'm sure).

Could it be that the .40s dimensions are different than the 9's? (For example, I find that the G19 and G23 are pretty darn close, if not exactly the same.)

Links