Carry mods for my SR40C.... with PICS :)

This is a discussion on Carry mods for my SR40C.... with PICS :) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a tinkerer, never satisfied and always looking to make things better( To my eyes). I recently acquired a Ruger SR40C and I love ...

Thread: Carry mods for my SR40C.... with PICS :)

Carry mods for my SR40C.... with PICS :)

I am a tinkerer, never satisfied and always looking to make things better( To my eyes). I recently acquired a Ruger SR40C and I love it, but i felt it needed some tweaking. I carried it for a week, played with it, trained with it, and made some changes that suited my needs, both aesthetically and physically. For your viewing pleasure I give you my handiwork.

Pic 1.: The first thing I did was polish the feed ramp. There were machining marks that scraped the copper jacket off when cycling. So I removed them, and it feeds like a greased pig now. It is pretty close to mirror polish but this pic doesnt show it well.

Pics 2 and 3: left and right views showing the polished chamber in contrast with the body and slide.The barrel was originally coated in a matte gray that I like at first and then grew to hate. I polished it off, but found heavy machining marks underneath which I am still working on removing. The gray stuff was very thick. I also polished the take down pin surface to match the barrel of the gun. I am contemplating jeweling the barrel as well but have not gotten that far yet.

Pic 4: As this is a carry gun, I like high contrast sights that are easy to pick up and fast on target. I liked the sights but wanted them different colors front and rear, so I painted them orange and flourescent green. The orange is very bright and makes a great front sight. I have a set of XS 24/7 Bigdots on order.

Pic 5: I did not like the slick feel of the factory magazine extenders so I worked them a little bit with a soldering iron. I have been playing with stippling for sometime now and have really come to like this particular pattern. Their are no harsh edges on it as I finish sand everything, so it is comfortable even under heavy recoil. The dimpling feels good in the hand yet provides a very textured surface to grab, even when wet or with gloved hands. I did this as a means of forcefully removing a stuck mag if necessary, as my hands sweat a lot and the smooth surfaces are hard to hold when shooting. Visual appeal was not as important as functionality here. Also, because the extenders are finish sanded, the surface does not snag or grip clothing, a plus as my cover garment is usually a long shirt.

Pic 6: The barrel is in the polishing stages. It has a great sheen to it but I am working on removing tool marks from machining.

I also removed the magazine safety, but it was for dry firing purposes more than anything. Future projects are going to include Sight installation when I get my Big Dots, Ghost trigger connector installation, stainless guide rod installation , maybe some new trigger springs, who knows what else i will find.

I would love to know what everyone thinks of my work so far, and open to any suggestions, questions or comments anyone may have. I always have a good time playing with my toys and thought I would share what I have accomplished so far.
    Attached Images
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Looks good man! I'm curious, why did you choose the sight colors that you did?

Re: Carry mods for my SR40C.... with PICS :)

Nice work! Looking to make some mods on mine as well.

Sent from my phone using Dumb Thumbs

I really like high contrast sights, especially on the front. The super bright flourescent orange is a color rarely scene anywhere, so it stands out against almost any background making for a very fast sight acquisition. In close range, I more or less point shoot using the sight for orientation of the muzzle and thats about it so the orange helps. For longer distance, the orange stands out against the green, and it is easier for me to single out the front sight for proper sight picture. When they are the same colors my eye does not want to cooperate. I had to paint my sights in the army on all of my long guns because of this. I have tried for years but have been unable to conquer the beast that is my eye confusion with similar colors.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by conefree View Post
    Nice work! Looking to make some mods on mine as well.

Sent from my phone using Dumb Thumbs
    Thanks.... If you give yours a shot and have any questions dont hesitate to pm me. everything was much easier than it seems, even the stippling, but I caution you...stippling is addictive. Once you do it you will want to texturize everything...I did my tv remote because I was tired of it sliding off my couch lol.
    ~Daniel Webster

Great idea on the front sight. Makes me want to do that. Looks great!
    "As the economy gets weak, the dollar loses value. Invest in precious metals." I'm investing in lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnafree View Post
    Great idea on the front sight. Makes me want to do that. Looks great!
    The paint I use is model paint for racing controlled cars. It is very durable as it holds up to glo fuel and other solvents used in rc car racing. I get it at hobbytown usa. Its about 5 bucks a jar, but one jar will last forever. I tried nail polish but i found two issues with it: 1 it was difficult to apply on small sights 2. It was never as bright as i wanted.
    ~Daniel Webster

what kind of polish did you use on your parts io have a sr9c did you use a dremel to polish your metal?

Quote Originally Posted by kurupt305 View Post
    what kind of polish did you use on your parts io have a sr9c did you use a dremel to polish your metal?
    I removed the gray coating with 600 grit sandpaper, after the coating was removed i went over everyhting with a dremel, a buffing wheel and a paste made out of bartenders friend and water to removed any remnants of the gray coating and smooth out the surface. I then switched to 800 grit sand paper, then 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000 for final polish. After I used the dremel with a buffing wheel and polishing rouge to really make it pop. The machining marks on my barrel have been a real PITA though. If you give it a try I hope yours doesnt have them.
    ~Daniel Webster

Gotta say I like the sight colors. Well done.

the sigh
    ~Daniel Webster

Re: Carry mods for my SR40C.... with PICS :)

Nice, I want an SR40c to go with my 9.

Sent from a gadget

Links