Slide Issue on my New S&W Shield 9mm

This is a discussion on Slide Issue on my New S&W Shield 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the weekend I went to my local gun show and came upon a S&W Shield 9mm. I have been wanting this gun for awhile ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Slide Issue on my New S&W Shield 9mm

Over the weekend I went to my local gun show and came upon a S&W Shield 9mm. I have been wanting this gun for awhile and knowing they are about as rare as a common sense liberal I picked it up. I know I payed entirely way too much, but I knew its the one I wanted.

I absolutly love the gun, it shoots like a dream, it fits in my hand nicely, and low recoil for a compact. The only problem I have with it is the slide release is extremely tight. I really have to work it sometimes to get that slide to release. While shooting I resorting to pulling back on the slide as my thumb was sore from trying to get the lever to work. I am noticing it is getting a little better through shooting. However is this normal for a new gun, or is this something I should be more concerned about and send it in to get looked at? Or will it just improve through the break in process?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

That is a sign from God. He wants you to do the hand over top rack on the slide.

Seriously now, I know that using the slide stop lever is faster than coming over the top of gthe slide with your hand. In a high stress situation, fine motor skills go out the window. You'll need a gross motor skill to keep you alive. Hand over the top of a big chunk of metal is easier than finding a little doohickey with your finger.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I always release the slide by pulling back the slide on a full mag and letting it go, unless I am doing maintenance on the gun. Everyone I know just slingshots the slide.
    GWarden likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I don't have a Shield but have handled them.
    I do own a fullsize M&P9 and a M&P40c. They both were hard to unlock the slide with the release. After a few hundred rounds thru each, it's no problem to pull down on the release now. Shoot it and it should ease up.

That little lever is the "Slide Lock", not the "Slide Release". There is a difference. Stop using it to release the slide and pull back and slingshot to slide forward. Your thumb will thank you later!

Hand over top FTW...... The only weapon I have owned that I could not hand over the top was my Kahr CM(.... it was so tight you had to use the slide release.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Dude, it's not a slide "release" It's a Slide STOP. Pulling back the slide IS the correct way. Using a stop as a release will wear the slide, and eventually destroy the slide stop.
    knight65 likes this.

Back when I took my CHL, the instructor talked about this and how in a firefight your fine motor skills go out the window. Basically don't try to be all Hollywood and use the slide release to put the gun in battery. Another guy who was taking the class was an older gentleman who had been shooting for pretty much his whole life. He was amazed that you could release the slide that way. He never knew you could do that LOL.

But yeah slingshot FTW.
    knight65 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    As others said, don't worry about it because you shouldn't be using it anyways, but yes, it's normal for most M&Ps.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It is especially normal for Shields. Some guns like Kahrs are designed with a slide stop that works as a slide release. Others are not designed to be used that way (though they will if you force them). Always pull the slide back manually with a Shield.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Same experience with mine. Normal operation, yours isn't defective.

Congrats on your new Shield. I like your analogy of how hard they are to find!
    blitzburgh likes this.

I emailed S&W.
    I have a Slide lock question.
    Someone told me not to release the slide by pressing the slide lock with my thumb. They said that it was a slide lock and not a release. they also said that it isn't good on the gun and will wear out the slide and/or the lock.
    Is this true?

Their reply was
    "Dear Customer,

The slide can be used to release the slide, it can be difficult to use on some guns. The slide will not wear faster with its use.
    If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.
    Sincerely,"

GH
    Slide lock, slide release - I still always give the open slide a pull back hand over top to release it.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Re: Slide Issue on my New S&W Shield 9mm

My Shield 40 is pretty hard with the slide lock. I prefer to pull the slide back since I feel like, even if I'm not, I'm damaging an expensive gun by releasing it by the slide lock.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links