Snubby help...down to these choices.

This is a discussion on Snubby help...down to these choices. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All right, guys and gals, I need your help. I'm looking for a snubby for CCW and I had narrowed it down to the Ruger ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Snubby help...down to these choices.

All right, guys and gals, I need your help. I'm looking for a snubby for CCW and I had narrowed it down to the Ruger LCR 38, 357 or the S&W 442. First off, I'm intending to shoot 38 for practice and carry 38 +P for SD. The 357 is just too big of a load for me. But I had considered the LCR 357 because a more versatile gun would be better for resale, and a heavier gun theoretically would be better for recoil. Well, a while back, I got my hands on both the LCR 38 and the 357. In the hand and in the pocket, the 4 oz. difference was definitely noticeable, more than I thought it would/should. I concluded that between the LCR's, I'd go with the 38. So it was down to the LCR 38 and the S&W 442.

This past weekend, I went to a range that rents the LCR 38 and the S&W 642...wanted to give both guns a try before deciding. Based on online reviews and forum chats, I'd expected for the LCR to be a more comfortable shoot. Much to my surprise, it was the opposite. The muzzle flip on the LCR was more pronounced. It "snapped" back more relative to the S&W. One reason that may explain for this was both guns came equipped with the Crimson Trace. This made the LCR's grip a bit shorter than the standard Hogue grip and the Smithy's grip a bit longer than their standard grip. So did the S&W shoot more comfortably because it had a longer/more comfortable grip? or because it was 2 oz. heavier? or because it's better designed?

I don't know where this leaves me. Frankly, I'm more confused now than before. If it's a matter of grip, than will a standard LCR 38 with better/slightly longer grip feel and shoot better than a standard 442/624 with its slightly smaller/shorter grip? If it's a matter of weight, if the 15 oz. S&W shoots better than the 13.5 oz. LCR 38, maybe I ought to consider the 17 oz. LCR 357? If it's a matter of S&W feeling/shooting better in my hand due to its inherent design, regardless of grip or weight, than I ought to consider the 442. Unfortunately, the range doesn't carry the LCR 357 so there's no way for me to test these theories. For those who have shot these guns, please give me your thoughts.

One last question. Between the LCR 38 and 357, would you say the finish on the 357 is more matte and rough than the 38? (The 38 wasn't shiny per se, but had a bit more of a sheen to it?) It's been a while since I handled them and I'm not sure if I remember it correctly.

NMB
    Its totally subjective.

I would buy the one that YOU shoot better. Period, nothing else matters. They are both reliable, well built firearms.

Go with the one that gets you in the 10 ring the most.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    When I was looking at a revolver, I looked at the LCR 38 and 357. I ended up getting LCR 38 spl. EVERYONE I spoke with said do not get the 357 because not only was it heavier, but you will NEVER shoot 357 loads out of it. The muzzle flash is overwhelming and renders the gun ineffective for a second shot. Therefore that particular model is overkill.

As for the S&W 442, I did not look at it. But it does get rave reviews.

Bottom line, I would take the LCR 38 and S&W 442 to the range. Take the models you would buy. If you plan to buy a Crimson Trace, then that is what you should bring, but if not, do not use that model. You will not get a feel for what you will really shoot. Then go with the one that feels better to you in the loads you will shoot. Either gun is a good choice so you truly cannot go wrong.
    oneshot likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I carry a SW 442 daily. It is a breeze to pocket carry. The LCR is a much different shape and I have heard that it makes it harder to conceal. I love my 442. The .38+p is a stout rd. How do you plan on carrying?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Welcome and at least you have choices. they are all arguably good choices. I prefer the S&W brand to the Ruger ( just my 2 cents worth)
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I have a 442, get one without the lock if you can. If I were going to do .357 out of a snub it would be a Ruger SP101.
    old grunt and DanielC like this.

It's not uncommon for snubbies to shoot quite a bit off of where the sights are aligned, even at moderate range. The CT Laser grips make a lot of sense on this type of gun IMO. You don't have a bad choice here. Go with whichever you like the best. You will be well armed with either.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of them.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I had and pocket carried a .38 LCR for a while. I got really good with it even in rapid fire. As for the s&w I can't speak for it because I only handled it in dry fire - but their reputation speaks for itself.

To me what makes the LCR so special is the hogue Grip. Without that its just another snub with a nasty disposition (and a smoother trigger the pretty much all it's competitors).

The only reason I got rid of my LCR was to give to my sister who was the recent victim of a pretty nasty break in. I picked up a m&p compact in its place, and while I like the gun, I definitely miss my revolver and am considering selling the m&p off to get back into one.

You'll be fine with either snub, but I wouldn't judge the LCR on the ct grip unless that's the one you plan to own.

Distinguished Member
    As has been said already, you'd do well with either of the choices. The Ruger tends to have a little smoother trigger, out of the box, than the Smiths. That said, I own S&W snubbies and not Rugers. That's my preference. You'll definitely have more holster choices with a Smith. There are just tons more of them on the market and they've been around a long long time. And for good reasons.

Practice until you're blue if possible. One day you'll realize that you can do things with that little snubbie, whichever you choose, that you'd never imagined after your first trip to the range. They can be surprisingly accurate at distances that you wouldn't naturally equate to a 2" barrel. And if the recoil bothers you a bit up front, that too will pass. Practice with light loads until your more comfortable with it.

Everybody should have a snub. Or two or more. Good for you. Like many of us, you'll find that it ends up being your go-to gun quite often. They always go bang.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

IMO, some good advise has been given, shoot the models you might purchase.
    I picked a 642 but you're not me

I went thru the exact same scenario not to long ago.

I had decided that I wanted a J frame size revolver to keep in my weak side front pocket during the summer when it's 100+ degrees and most likely going to be wearing cargo shorts on the regular. What was difficult for me was deciding between the better DAO trigger in the Ruger, or my bias in favor of the 442. There was just something about the LCR that I didn't like...and besides my SP101...all my wheel guns happen to be S&W.

I went with the 442 and don't regret my decision even though it has that cursed lock.

Ask Rollo which one you should choose...

PS - I'm not convinced you need to use .38 +P - I use plain old 158 gr SWCs in my LCR. Love it.
    PEF and wmhawth like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Ask Rollo which one you should choose...

PS - I'm not convinced you need to use .38 +P - I use plain old 158 gr SWCs in my LCR. Love it.
    Oh you're mean
    10thmtn likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

My vote is for an LCR but go with whatever fits your hands best and you're most accuarate with.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links