What Should I Carry?

This is a discussion on What Should I Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello! I am new the this site, but I am looking for some advice as to what to carry. I am a female, I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What Should I Carry?

What Should I Carry?

Hello! I am new the this site, but I am looking for some advice as to what to carry. I am a female, I have had gun experience when I was in the military, but that was 16 years ago. I would like to get some opinions on what would be a decent gun for me. I am renewing my license to carry a concealed weapon this week, and then I want to get something that would be appropriate for me. My husband has a .308 and 9mm. what are your suggestions? Looking forward to hearing what you have to say! Thank you!!!

2. Remove Ads

Hey Irishgirl, My wife carries a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. She is a purse carrier and it is a great gun for her.
    irishgirl0415 likes this.

That is good to know. I will do some research on that. I am nervous about carrying it in my purse, only because I don't carry my purse everywhere I go. I need to get used to that, so I don't forget it places. Thank you for the advice, I am going to look that up now!

Thank you for your service. However, if you are completely unsure what type of weapon is best suited to you currently you need to do two things: 1) refresh your training in all aspects (safety, marksmanship, proficient operation etc.) 2) perform a serious in depth evaluative look at what will best suit you given your daily dress, interactions, lifestyle, locations etc. Do this then come back and ask the same question and we will be able to help you much more effectively.

Best advice is to find a gun range that rents guns. Spend some time there, shooting everything that appeals to you, until you find the "one". We all have our opinions, and you'll soon find that they vary far and wide.

What works for me, won't necessarily work for you & visa versa. You said your husband has a .308 and a 9MM. Is it a .308 rifle, or a .380 pistol? Big difference. :)

Good luck on your journey, and welcome to the forum.
    Taurahe and srings like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I always do that. It is a .380. Thank you for your advice. I do plan on going to the range and shooting a variety to see what feels good.
    Regoria75 likes this.

MJB_17, I will be refreshing my training. My husband and I, and my brother have been talking, we will spend a great deal of time at the range and working with friends who teach classes in safety. I don't want to be "unsafe" having the gun. The daily dress is not so much an issue, at least not in winter right now. I wear jeans to work and sweatshirts.. I will definitely make sure I am well refreshed in safety and marksmanship. Thank you very much!

Just go to your local gun shop and start handling the pistols, soon one will start calling out your name.

Here's a great reference for women...http://www.corneredcat.com/Contents/
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm sure there are a ton of general advice that could be given but this is the question I always start with - How and where do you plan to carry? OWB, IWB, Ankle, Purse, Shoulder, etc. What position do you plan to carry at? 3, 3:30, small of the back, appendix, cross draw? How and where you plan to carry can and will greatly effect which handgun is best suited to the purpose. Additionally I would ask how much are you willing to change your wardrobe to accommodate a handgun? This is generally easier for men to do than for women. If you want a good "all around" suggestion I would start with a Glock 26. It's fairly small, generally easy to conceal (although it is a bit thick depending on who you talk to), fairly light weight and at 10+1 is a pretty substantial amount of firepower in a overall small package. The ability to use the magazines from the larger versions (15, 17 and 33 round) al gives you the ability to expand the firepower quite a bit. When I carry my 26 I carry a G17 mag as a back up. If your looking for something that weighs a bit less or is a bit thinner then take a look at the kahr cm/cw/pm series. I currently own a Kahr CW9 that I like quite a bit. The CM9 has a shorter grip making it a bit smaller and easier to conceal. I personally prefer the CW9 as it feels more controllable because I can get all my fingers on the grip. But again, the trade of is that the longer grip means that it is a bit harder to conceal.

Then there are revolvers. I would not touch a modern day S&W j-frame with a 30 foot poll however I am a big fan of the Ruger LCR which comes in both .38 special and .357. IMO It has the best out of the box trigger of any wheel gun out there. It's light weight and extremely easy to conceal because it's overall small size. Also, the hogue tamer grips make it reasonably easy shooting for a gun of it's size. The down side? only 5 rounds and slow to reload. This is why I generally don'y carry mine any more. Chances are that you will never need more than 5 rounds in a defensive encounter however because there are other options out there that are higher capacity and faster to reload while being almost as easy to conceal I generally just prefer to carry one of those. For deep concealment carry I carry a kel tec p3at in a pocket holster. Not quite as much "oomph" as .38 special but higher capacity and faster to reload.

Honestly, I could talk all day about this lol. My suggestion is this. Find a range that rents guns. Then call all your friends and your husbands friends and your family and anyone else you know that owns a hand gun and meet up at that range. Secure a copious amount of ammunition in various calibers and shoot as many guns as you can get your hands on. Additionally, perhaps try to get your hands on a few different semi-generic holsters so that you can place a few guns of different sizes at different points on your body so that you can get a feel for the different modes/methods/positions for carry.
    sensei2 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Sig P238
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

I WAS going to suggest concealing the .308 would be difficult, but since you converted it to a .380, that suggestion is moot. I would suggest the 9mm and a good holster/belt combination. My wife never carries a purse, so that was never an option for her.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

You said you are renewing your license. What did you carry/use when you had your license?

I just want to go on the record in stating that I feel that purse carry or any other type of on person carry not using a proper holster is a horrible idea, it is begging for a ND/AD to happen. Additionally, drawing effectively from a purse in a high stress scenario is a fantasy. If you are going to carry a weapon, you need to have it on your person and in a stable position from which you can draw.

I personally learned to appreciate the value of a good holster after my M&P9c fell out of my cheap Blackhawk IWB holster while I was crawling under my desk to unplug some laptop cords, luckily it just went 'thump'...

Don't let the gun store counter guy talk you into anything. Get what YOU want! Gals can handle any handgun a guy can with practice and determination. (same as a guy) Don't settle for a dinky pink .380 'cause it's a "girl's gun."
    sensei2, Eric357 and Lightweb like this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    ...Secure a copious amount of ammunition in various calibers...
    Ksgunner likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links