Questions about clearing firearm

This is a discussion on Questions about clearing firearm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am fairly new to concealed carry, and was just thinking. Right now, I carry without a round chambered(just not 100% comfortable yet). I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Questions about clearing firearm

So I am fairly new to concealed carry, and was just thinking. Right now, I carry without a round chambered(just not 100% comfortable yet). I like to horse play with my 3 yr old, so kinda the big reason for not clambering a round. Anyways... If and when I decide to chamber, and horse play begins, do I just remove pistol from holster, eject mag, and clear chamber, and leave the spring cocked on the gun?

I carry an SR40C, and believe the owners manual states not to dry fire gun without an empty magazine inserted...well I don't carry an empty mag everywhere I go.

So what do you recommend?

I to have an SR40C. The dangers of not carrying a loaded chamber aside, their is an easy fix for this and it takes 5 minutes a 15mm punch and you tube. Remova the mag safety. The SR series pistol mag safety is in the slide, and is pushed out of the way by an inserted magazine. With it in place, when you dry fire the striker is stopped short and slams into the mag safety, potentially damaging both. If you remove it you can safely dry fire the weapon with out in place. I personally will not dry fire with a magazine in the weapon EVER! As far as the horseplay goes, why remove the mag? secure the weapon properly and it shouldnt be a concern.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I think the short answer would be to briefly execuse yourself from the room, and put your weapon away in a secure area of your choosing out of sight from your young one. I wouldn't change the 'carry condition' of your weapon. Remember the 2 most important safeties are your index finger and the stuff between your ears.

DP

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    There is actually no reason why you should need to decock it. It won't hurt the spring to remain compressed. The inability to dry fire the pistol without damage would be a bigger concern to me.

Re: Questions about clearing firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I to have an SR40C. The dangers of not carrying a loaded chamber aside, their is an easy fix for this and it takes 5 minutes a 15mm punch and you tube. Remova the mag safety. The SR series pistol mag safety is in the slide, and is pushed out of the way by an inserted magazine. With it in place, when you dry fire the striker is stopped short and slams into the mag safety, potentially damaging both. If you remove it you can safely dry fire the weapon with out in place. I personally will not dry fire with a magazine in the weapon EVER! As far as the horseplay goes, why remove the mag? secure the weapon properly and it shouldnt be a concern.
    Alright, thanks. So did you mean the dangers or carrying with one in chamber or not one in chamber. I will have to check YouTube for that video, but may just leave the firearm in ready position, with safety on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    There is actually no reason why you should need to decock it. It won't hurt the spring to remain compressed. The inability to dry fire the pistol without damage would be a bigger concern to me.
    So I should probably watch the vid above and remove the mag safety? I just don't like to tamper with stuff like that. But would like to dry fire around house to get used to trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by DonPablo_VA View Post
    I think the short answer would be to briefly execuse yourself from the room, and put your weapon away in a secure area of your choosing out of sight from your young one. I wouldn't change the 'carry condition' of your weapon. Remember the 2 most important safeties are your index finger and the stuff between your ears.

DP
    Thanks. Yea I am sure once I carry chambered a few times, I would become a bit more comfortable over time.

Thanks guys

Just secure your gun before you begin to horseplay.
    mg27 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    For a definitive answer, I would talk to Ruger themselves about the dry firing issue and see what they recommend.

Yea I just went through my manual, and it states you can dry fire, but only with empty mag inserted. I also read that there are many safety mechanisms in the gun(trigger block, trigger bar, etc.) That won't allow firing pin strike primer without trigger pulled

Thanks.

While in the home, I do not keep a round chambered in my SR9c.
    Full mag, inserted, no round chambered, firing pin in ready position. Pistol is holstered.

In order for the pistol to fire I would need to draw it, turn off the manual thumb safety, rack a round, satisfy the trigger safety, then, bang.

I feel that three safeties (including the holster which covers the trigger gaurd) and no round chambered make the pistol about as safe as they get for carrying in home with small children.
    Heck, even with a round chambered you can just press the mag release and the thing won't fire ><

The overabundance of safeties are one of the reasons I chose this pistol- I have small children and a wife that like to climb all over daddy. Well at least the kids...;)

And yes, if it turns into a "royal rumble" I just lock the pistol up for a bit :D

Oh, and I should add that when I leave my home I keep a round chambered. I found it nerve wracking at first but logic eventually won, and it's a non-issue now.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by NewtownSam; February 20th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Take the long way home...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    Alright, thanks. So did you mean the dangers or carrying with one in chamber or not one in chamber. I will have to check YouTube for that video, but may just leave the firearm in ready position, with safety on.

So I should probably watch the vid above and remove the mag safety? I just don't like to tamper with stuff like that. But would like to dry fire around house to get used to trigger.

Thanks. Yea I am sure once I carry chambered a few times, I would become a bit more comfortable over time.

Thanks guys
    An weapon without a round chmabered is a club until you put one in the pipe. In a SD situation you will have zero control over what happens. How will you chamber a round if you are attacked and have to use one hand to fend off an attacker? What if your weak hand is disabled before you can draw and load a round ? Do you consistently practice drawing and racking the slide at the same time so it is muscle memory?

I understand your trepidation at carrying a chambered round, but are you really doing yourself any favors ? IMO you are placing yourself at greater risk. Its one more step to perform when your brain shuts down in a life or death struggle. Everything that could happen with a round chambered is controlled by you and you alone. If you think, practice and do not be complacent, a round chambered is as safe as no round chambered..... In the end I will not say you are wrong, but I would make sure it is truly the best decision for you.

Removing the mag safety is not for eveyone. Some argue against it but it does not change the reliability of the firearm and is super easy to re install. I removed it to allow for dry fire practice without a magazine installed. Other than that I would not have removed it.
    Trooperc7 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

IMHO - the more you fiddle with your gun, the higher the chance of a ND. (I just re-read that... )

In all seriousness, the Ruger SR series has a manual thumb safety, in addition to all the other safeties. As long as the pistol is in a proper holster that covers the trigger and that offers good retention, you are good to go. If you are really concerned, get a duty holster with a thumb snap or other retention device that makes it very difficult for anyone besides you to remove the pistol from the holster.

In addition, if you have not already done so, it is time to start introducing gun safety to the kids. Keep it simple, like the Eddie Eagle program. If it looks like a real gun, treat it like a real gun. Leave it alone. Don't touch. Tell an adult. As they mature, you can get more sophisticated.

I have two small kids. My sidearms are either on my person, in proper holsters, or they are locked in a safe. Period. I do not load/unload or otherwise fiddle with them, unless I am cleaning them. They are always loaded, and treated as such.

Be *extremely* cautious dry firing with kids around. Children are incredibly distracting. I would go so far as to say NOT to do it, unless you are alone. Especially if you are a new shooter.

Hope this helps. Stay safe.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    Yea I just went through my manual, and it states you can dry fire, but only with empty mag inserted. I also read that there are many safety mechanisms in the gun(trigger block, trigger bar, etc.) That won't allow firing pin strike primer without trigger pulled

Thanks.
    I'm guessing that trying to dry fire without a mag isn't going to damage the gun but since it has a mag safety, it won't fire, dry or live. Since you have a mag safety, you must have a mag in to fire, dry or live.

Back to your original question, leave the room and secure the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_mp40c View Post
    I'm guessing that trying to dry fire without a mag isn't going to damage the gun but since it has a mag safety, it won't fire, dry or live. Since you have a mag safety, you must have a mag in to fire, dry or live.

Back to your original question, leave the room and secure the gun.
    You are guessing incorrectly. On the ruger sr series pistols, the mag disconnect is in the slide and physically stops the striker. when dry fired without a mag repeatedly, damage can occur to both the striker and the mag safety. By removing the mag safety you can safely dry fire without a mag.
    ~Daniel Webster

Good sound advice, especially about the retention holster.
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    IMHO - the more you fiddle with your gun, the higher the chance of a ND. (I just re-read that... )
    You might be referring to a "PD"!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links