Defensive Carry banner

Questions about clearing firearm

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Superhouse 15 
#1 ·
So I am fairly new to concealed carry, and was just thinking. Right now, I carry without a round chambered(just not 100% comfortable yet). I like to horse play with my 3 yr old, so kinda the big reason for not clambering a round. Anyways... If and when I decide to chamber, and horse play begins, do I just remove pistol from holster, eject mag, and clear chamber, and leave the spring cocked on the gun?

I carry an SR40C, and believe the owners manual states not to dry fire gun without an empty magazine inserted...well I don't carry an empty mag everywhere I go.

So what do you recommend?

#2 ·
I to have an SR40C. The dangers of not carrying a loaded chamber aside, their is an easy fix for this and it takes 5 minutes a 15mm punch and you tube. Remova the mag safety. The SR series pistol mag safety is in the slide, and is pushed out of the way by an inserted magazine. With it in place, when you dry fire the striker is stopped short and slams into the mag safety, potentially damaging both. If you remove it you can safely dry fire the weapon with out in place. I personally will not dry fire with a magazine in the weapon EVER! As far as the horseplay goes, why remove the mag? secure the weapon properly and it shouldnt be a concern.

Reactions: NewtownSam
#5 ·
Alright, thanks. So did you mean the dangers or carrying with one in chamber or not one in chamber. I will have to check YouTube for that video, but may just leave the firearm in ready position, with safety on.

There is actually no reason why you should need to decock it. It won't hurt the spring to remain compressed. The inability to dry fire the pistol without damage would be a bigger concern to me.
So I should probably watch the vid above and remove the mag safety? I just don't like to tamper with stuff like that. But would like to dry fire around house to get used to trigger.

I think the short answer would be to briefly execuse yourself from the room, and put your weapon away in a secure area of your choosing out of sight from your young one. I wouldn't change the 'carry condition' of your weapon. Remember the 2 most important safeties are your index finger and the stuff between your ears. :smile:

DP
Thanks. Yea I am sure once I carry chambered a few times, I would become a bit more comfortable over time.

Thanks guys

#3 ·
I think the short answer would be to briefly execuse yourself from the room, and put your weapon away in a secure area of your choosing out of sight from your young one. I wouldn't change the 'carry condition' of your weapon. Remember the 2 most important safeties are your index finger and the stuff between your ears. :smile:

DP

#4 ·
There is actually no reason why you should need to decock it. It won't hurt the spring to remain compressed. The inability to dry fire the pistol without damage would be a bigger concern to me.

#7 ·
For a definitive answer, I would talk to Ruger themselves about the dry firing issue and see what they recommend.

#8 ·
Yea I just went through my manual, and it states you can dry fire, but only with empty mag inserted. I also read that there are many safety mechanisms in the gun(trigger block, trigger bar, etc.) That won't allow firing pin strike primer without trigger pulled

Thanks.

#12 ·
I'm guessing that trying to dry fire without a mag isn't going to damage the gun but since it has a mag safety, it won't fire, dry or live. Since you have a mag safety, you must have a mag in to fire, dry or live.

Back to your original question, leave the room and secure the gun.

#9 · (Edited)
While in the home, I do not keep a round chambered in my SR9c.
Full mag, inserted, no round chambered, firing pin in ready position. Pistol is holstered.

In order for the pistol to fire I would need to draw it, turn off the manual thumb safety, rack a round, satisfy the trigger safety, then, bang.

I feel that three safeties (including the holster which covers the trigger gaurd) and no round chambered make the pistol about as safe as they get for carrying in home with small children.
Heck, even with a round chambered you can just press the mag release and the thing won't fire ><

The overabundance of safeties are one of the reasons I chose this pistol- I have small children and a wife that like to climb all over daddy. Well at least the kids...;)

And yes, if it turns into a "royal rumble" I just lock the pistol up for a bit :D

Oh, and I should add that when I leave my home I keep a round chambered. I found it nerve wracking at first but logic eventually won, and it's a non-issue now.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

#11 ·
IMHO - the more you fiddle with your gun, the higher the chance of a ND. (I just re-read that... :rofl:)

In all seriousness, the Ruger SR series has a manual thumb safety, in addition to all the other safeties. As long as the pistol is in a proper holster that covers the trigger and that offers good retention, you are good to go. If you are really concerned, get a duty holster with a thumb snap or other retention device that makes it very difficult for anyone besides you to remove the pistol from the holster.

In addition, if you have not already done so, it is time to start introducing gun safety to the kids. Keep it simple, like the Eddie Eagle program. If it looks like a real gun, treat it like a real gun. Leave it alone. Don't touch. Tell an adult. As they mature, you can get more sophisticated.

I have two small kids. My sidearms are either on my person, in proper holsters, or they are locked in a safe. Period. I do not load/unload or otherwise fiddle with them, unless I am cleaning them. They are always loaded, and treated as such.

Be *extremely* cautious dry firing with kids around. Children are incredibly distracting. I would go so far as to say NOT to do it, unless you are alone. Especially if you are a new shooter.

Hope this helps. Stay safe.

#16 ·
3 is plenty old enough to be taught gun safety basics. It's also a good time to start teaching what to do if mom or dad has to pull their gun. 3 is old enough to teach a child to hidebehind you if you say "cover" for example. Make a game if it. As far as the mag "safety" in the SRs goes, it is a waste and should be discarded at your earliest opportunity. Nothing good about that design (don't get me started on the MKIII)

As for carry with an empty chamber, I wouldn't try to change anyone's mind about it but if you ask here you can count the number of people who carry empty chamber on one hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.