Will you remember how your local shop treated you?

This is a discussion on Will you remember how your local shop treated you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I go shopping for a new gun and was really disappointed in my local gun stores. BOTH local guys had an M&P Shield 9mm ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Will you remember how your local shop treated you?

Yesterday I go shopping for a new gun and was really disappointed in my local gun stores. BOTH local guys had an M&P Shield 9mm and both wanted $650! Additionally, they both no longer do layaway plans. They said "we don't do layaway anymore now that guns turnover so fast". Really? Well they had a GIANT surplus of Kimbers (which is what I was wanting anyways) so I don't know why he said that. AND both places had raised the prices of all of their guns.

Only ONE guy in my town (and Academy Sports and Outdoors) didn't choose to raise their prices.

I for one will not forget this when things calm down again. To me it is short sighted to do this. Sure, right now they may be rolling in money, but what about 2 years from now?

I sure hope more fellow gun owners remember these price gouging shop owners. I know they probably won't, but man am I disappointed. I bought 8 guns from these two shops when things were slow. This is the loyalty I receive.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

This is why I'm never spending another dime with a company whose name rhymes with Reaper Van Kurt. The attitude and price gouging is ridiculous.
    clc likes this.
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

My local shop seems to be staffed by kids (low 20's) behind the counter. They always try and point you to a glock or a 45 or both lol. I mainly go there for defensive amp and accessories. The only time I bought a pistol there I dealt with the owner himself and had a great experience, something I won't ever forget.

Something else that I will never forget was going there to look at a remmy 1187. There were two on the rack, one black and one camo both with drastically different prices, and I asked one of these "kids" what the difference between the two guns was. He took one in each hand and acted as though he was balancing them to see if they weighed the same. He then looked at my dad and I and said, "they're exactly the same". This guy was completely satisfied with his evaluations of these two guns so I thanked him for his time and "expert" opinion and left.

-BTO-
    -BTO-

I will absolutely remember it. I, unlike the majority of Americans, know how to hold a grudge when someone shafts me. I havent entered a wal-mart in over 15 years. If I was on fire...and they had the only water in town, i'd die a miserable death before i'd give them a penny. I have a few local gun shops that I feel the same way about. Raising prices and creating auctions for guns just wont fly for me. Especially when a couple others are still doing business as usual. I dont care about sob stories or "business model" excuses. The msrp is the same as it was before so I expect to be treated the same as before.
    ironmike86 likes this.

up until December 2012 I was doing most of my business at a new guns store that had been in business for about three years. As a good customer, I ususally got some
    good deals and the owner always had time to spend a minute or two with me when I went in. After Sandy Hook, the guy jacked prices on everything through the roof, and
    informed me that I should probably wait until the madness dies down to buy anything since the prices are so high. Excuse me? I sent him more new customers than I can
    count, and now I'm just another guy walking in the door.

Saturday I went back to my old gun store that has been around for 60 years, and saw they had not raised prices at all. I mentioned this to the owner ( I took my CCW class from him years ago)
    and he said what we all here feel. "We're here for the long term, and want all our customers to come back over and over.
    Raising prices in the short term just creates hard feelings and loses customers that got us here."
    Amen to that.

Long story short.....I'm taking my business back to the store that is doing it right in these nuts-o times. The new guy can go swing. With his attitude, I won't be back or spend a dime
    there anytime soon. We gun owners have a long memory, and we don't really care to be to treated like kings one day, and the next day an annoyance.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

We have only a few shops in our locality. Only one that I trust, and he has NEVER raised prices, at least to me. The others, are a bit "iffy" in my humble opinion. On the other hand, we reside in a relatively low populated area, so our choices of LGS's are quite limited.

Indeed, it started out very well, then went very bad. I bought my first gun from a place I won't name and I dealt with the owner who was very helpful and insightful. To my surprise he actually directed me to used models instead of more expensive new ones, telling me that they are cheaper and in great condition. Not something I would expect from a man trying to make a profit. That great experience led me to return a few more times.

Now it seems I got lucky that one time. Because every time there after I dealt with his fat, lazy, very very did I mention VERY rude employee (multiple times so it wasn't just having a bad day kind of thing, that is just how this a hole is). the very first time I deal with him he basically had a I'm not going to shuffle my fat rear 5 feet to open the glass case if you aren't going to buy it attitude. He was also not knowledgeable in very many firearms that I was asking about. I ended up buying an awful p22 that day. Another time I brought my girlfriend in to look at guns while I was in town to visit my mother. My gf asked him a question and he was rude to her, at that point we exchanged some words and we left (very sexist fat guy now). A few months later I found myself really missing shooting long distances, so I was in the market for a rem 700 p (as in the police/swat sniper rifle). Now this shop is about an hour away but I still really like my experience that I had with the owner and wanted to give him my business. So to save me time I called ahead and the fat guy answered. I asked him specifically if they had that rifle in stock and he said let me check....... came back 2 minutes later and said yes. I said great I'll be in. I get there and of course the owner isn't there, only this fat guy and I walk up an say to him "Hi, I just called about two hours ago about the rem 700 p". His response was throwing his hands up in the air and shrugging. Really how could you forget that, was only 2 hours ago. Needless to say I had to remind him again that he was a p.o.s and that I would no longer be doing business with that shop. I later e-mailed the owner and told him that my first experience was great and I kept trying to keep my business with them but his fat employee has made it impossible. I did not get a reply.

This fat guy must be related to him or something like that. There is no way a person would have such an awful employee working from them if that wasn't the case. I have not been there to this day even when I was told they had a handgun I've been looking for, for over 6 months. Online this shop only has reviews saying that there is an awful rude fat guy that works there that drives away business. I guess I'm not the only one. Oh well, save me gas money to go to shops closer by.

Absolutely!!! Found a great local shop that isn't gouging and has a loyal regular customer base. I'm now a loyal supporter even after this crap is over. I bought a mag and it was messed up. They swapped it out. They take care of their loyal customers and we remember.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I have tried to shop at my LGS a number of times recently. I took my class with them and they seemed to be great people. I have no idea if they have raised prices on anything because the only thing they have in the whole shop that goes bang is one shotgun and a used derringer. No inventory of any kind. I would like to think they are sold out because they didn't raise prices and the other guys did, but I don't know because they don't have ANYTHING.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I just had this conversation with our LGS. I went in looking for large pistol primers and they were out, So I asked the owner if he had any coming in? He said he was making up an order right then. I asked him to put me down for 2000, and call me when they get in. He gave me a weird look and said that he could sell everything he got in off his shelves so He wouldn't be ordering for other people! I reminded him that the last 10,000 I had bought had come through his shop [ not all at once ]. He said " that was then, and This is now!" This week I called all my local reloaders and am putting together a group buy to help defer the HazMat fees. A couple of others had the same experience with our LGS. Too Bad DR

New Member Array WrongWheelDrive's Avatar
    Absolutely. Even with the current buying craze, my preferred LGS is maintaining fair prices. They aren't doing layaways right now, but that is pretty reasonable with the rate things fly off the shelves. As of yesterday they are selling 2 Pmags at cost to anyone with a receipt for an AR purchased from the store in the last few months until they are gone, and are about to raffle away 2500 rounds of 5.56 to 5 people, free. In addition, their staff and service is excellent, and overall they are the best store in the area. For these reasons they will continue to get my business over other local stores when the current panic dies down.

Absolutely. Anyone dealing fairly now will receive my business in the future. Anyone taking advantage of the situation won't. It's pretty simple to me.

They don't do layaways for one reason: the price could come down substantially before its paid off. Thus they loose profit.

VIP Member
    I'm willing to pay more at any store, local or big box, provided the folks doing the selling are being straight and
    being helpful.

More and more these days, and it doesn't matter what business you deal with, neither of those two qualities are
    to be found.

I'm convinced that many businesses are run by people who don't know their own business. This is especially true
    with the big corporations, but it happens in small shops as well.

We help run a tiny family business and knock ourselves out to provide excellent customer service. We'll give
    deep discounts in certain situations just to make sure the customer is leaving happy. The result is excellent reviews,
    personal referrals, repeat business.

Once a business angers a customer they lose that customer, that customer's friends and relatives too, and if you do it
    enough you go down. I think they don't teach that part in MBA programs.

We also have several part time employees. They have to be treated right, and that includes more than salary.
    Anger the employee and they will take it out on (in our case guests) customers, and again you lose business.
    This lesson gets lost in the B schools where the emphasis is on finance, accounting, cost cutting, taxation, and
    everything but people skills; even in the organizational psychology divisions of such schools.
    HotGuns and Ghost1958 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Yep. We have a few LGSs in the area. One of them stands out to me as a good place to deal with. They don't have the cheapest prices of the stores in the area, but still fair with very minimal increase if any since the craze started. The only guns outrageously priced are those on consignment, but I'm not going to fault them for those. All of the popular guns (Glock, M&Ps, etc.) have been rare, but do still come in occasionally. Fairly decent stock yet on other pistols. They have around 3-5 AR's in stock, but those are all consignment and like I said, outrageously priced. Have dealt with a few different employees and never felt unwelcome/second rate. I don't know if they do layaway (before or after the craze), but they do order specific guns and gear if you request it. Great folks running a great business. I'll stick with them despite not being the absolute cheapest place in town because they know how to treat folks right.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links