Need Advice

This is a discussion on Need Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a gun for my daughter and would like to know about this one (S@W Airweight 642) anyone know anything about this gun? Would ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By First Sgt

Thread: Need Advice

Need Advice

Looking for a gun for my daughter and would like to know about this one (S@W Airweight 642) anyone know anything about this gun? Would you recommend this for your daughter? I know its all-aluminum and there have been some issues with it concerning the finish. Can someone fill me in on this?
    ThanksCapture.PNG

2. Remove Ads

I've had one since 1998.

It's a handful for the uninitiated. It isn't strictly all-aluminum. The frame is fabricated from an aluminum alloy. The remainder of the major components are of stainless steel. The internal parts are also of steel

My wife likes the Model 642 better than I do. She can shoot it competently with +P 158 grain semi-wadcutter ammunition. She does not enjoy doing so. Neither do I. Personally, I'd sooner recommend a heavier steel J-Frame Smith & Wesson snub model in the hammerless or with hammer spur style of your choice.

Smith & Wesson put some sort of clear coat finish over the frame of these revolvers. Some have complained about wear and some have complained about chemical substances degrading this clear coat finish. We've had no problems with this Model 642 over 15 years time.

Photo taken about 5 years ago after a decade of use. Much of the time in the rather harsh environment of a lady's purse. I don't personally care for the notion of purse carry but that's the way my wife carries much of the time. The revolver doesn't seem much the worse for wear.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The 642 is a bit "snappy" for someone who is a beginner shooter...However, it can be overcome, using the right ammo.

I would SERIOUSLY recommend that you take your daughter somewhere that allows her, yes HER, to try several different weapons and let HER, yes HER choose the weapon SHE would like to have/carry/shoot. JMO
    KBSR, TailRunner and AK_Brian like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

My wife has a hard time with the snubbie .38, so she carries a M&P9c with the hopes of finding a Shield. Honestly though, if the only thing she was comfortable with was one of those .22LR semi-autos I would still feel better than if she didn't carry at all.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    The 642 is a bit "snappy" for someone who is a beginner shooter...However, it can be overcome, using the right ammo.

I would SERIOUSLY recommend that you take your daughter somewhere that allows her, yes HER, to try several different weapons and let HER, yes HER choose the weapon SHE would like to have/carry/shoot. JMO

THIS THIS THIS..... and to answer your question... the airwheight 642 can be hell on wheels. Generally, lightweight = Heavier recoil. I have shot my dads airweight numerous times and simply put, I dont like it. Give me a heavy frame snubbie any day of the week. To reiterate though, your daughter needs to shoot as many guns as SHE can shoot and pick the gun that SHE shoots the best. If she doesnt like shooting it she wont practice, which defeats the purpose.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

While a fine quality gun, the Airweight is downright painful to shoot. I'd rather shoot a Model 29 with wood grips than that 642. A gun is no good for her if she won't practice with it. First Sgt offered the perfect advice.

Links