What about a walther ppk as a CC

This is a discussion on What about a walther ppk as a CC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the present i am carrying a Sig p238 and would like to change to a Walther ppk. I like to carry in my front ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What about a walther ppk as a CC

At the present i am carrying a Sig p238 and would like to change to a Walther ppk. I like to carry in my front pocket loose (no holster and i know you guys wont like that). The Sig really feels good. It is so light that i barely notice it in my pocket. but it is a single action and would like to switch to a double action. The Walther ppk is about twice the weigh of the Sig and I am wondering if any of you guys carry a Walther PPK and if you do how do get along with it especially in your front pocket

Thanks for your help

2. Remove Ads

I use to carry one, but not pocket. Great, classic little gun.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

They are cool and concealable classic guns. But there are much better design for concealed carry out nowadays.

And please get a holster before we hear about you on the news.
    GunsAndViolince likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I could do it, especially if it's the one I held yesterday in the LGS:

pop_wm_4766372.jpg

Looked great, felt sweet .... very nice little gun.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Great carry gun... Carried one for years; still do from time to time just for the heck of it. Usually after seeing a James bond flick.. Nothing wrong IMO with a .380, especially if you know how to shoot. Nowadays there are so many similar sized 9mms and even .45s i.e. XDs that the PPK rarely make a showing.. Still a awesome pistol though.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I've got the Bersa which has very similar profile. Nice shooter and very comfortable when I carry it.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    A PPK is still an excellent choice for carry. That said, one would need to look at how they were going to carry it; pocket carry sans holster may present difficulties with the PPK. Weight will be more than what you currently carry and the exposed hammer could be a very dangerous snag point when the pistol needs to be presented due to bad circumstances. I would say go for it, but definitely with a quality pocket rig in place. Your gun will be oriented in the same manner each time, which to me is the most important characteristic in drawing from a pocket. You will have a higher margin of safety against a ND. And the weapon will be more reliable due to it's not being compromised with pocket lint and debris.

Great little guns, but you'll need to experiement a little with pocket carry. It's a pretty hefty piece of metal.

If you like your current Sig, I may try out a p232. Very similar to the PPK in dimensions. I think the PPK is one of the best looking guns ever made, and its cool factor is through the roof, but it still just sits in my safe. I found other options that worked better for me. Had I to do it again I would have gone the p232 route. If light weight is important, the PPK may not be the way to go (especially once the "cool factor" starts to wear off). At least do a comparison to the Sig before you make a decision.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Every time I pick up a PPK, I am tempted to buy one. If they came
    in something other than a 380, I would mostly like already have one.

I carry my PPK/S everyday in my pocket. I carry it in a Blackhawk size 2 pocket holster. The holster has a band around it that provides friction to keep the holster in the pocket as you retrieve the gun.

I do at times carry it in an ankle holster but not very often.

I've got a PPK/S but find that overall, the Sig P-232 performs better. As for pocket carry, I find both guns a bit heavy to be carrying in a pocket. I prefer a good IWB. If you buy the Smith & Wesson version of the Walther (the one that is being manufactured now), after a while that extended beavertail will drive you nuts.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Great little guns, but you'll need to experiement a little with pocket carry. It's a pretty hefty piece of metal.

If you like your current Sig, I may try out a p232. Very similar to the PPK in dimensions. I think the PPK is one of the best looking guns ever made, and its cool factor is through the roof, but it still just sits in my safe. I found other options that worked better for me. Had I to do it again I would have gone the p232 route. If light weight is important, the PPK may not be the way to go (especially once the "cool factor" starts to wear off). At least do a comparison to the Sig before you make a decision.
    I agree with this 100%. I have had a PPK, and currently have a P232. Both are great guns, but the Sig has the edge in quality & reliability. Dunno that either is great for pocket carry, except maybe in a big jacket pocket.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Every time I pick up a PPK, I am tempted to buy one. If they came
    in something other than a 380, I would mostly like already have one.
    They also come in .32 ACP and .22 LR.

I went from the PPK to P238. I appendix carry it in a Galco IWB. Very compact and well made pistol. For pocket carry, it's on the heavy side (20oz empty). With ammo and a holster, and you'd be looking at the weight of a compact 9mm Glock. I'd be like having a rock in your pocket that swings around when you walk. I would carry AIWB or IWB at 3:00 to 4:00.

As far as shooting the PPK, the recoil is very sharp due to the blow back design and the size/design of the grip. After a couple magazines at the range, you will have a red mark running across your palm. But it's very accurate for its size. DA is very heavy and it gets heavier right before the hammer drop. Takes a lot of practice to get good with the first shot. SA trigger, however, is like a dream.

I would shoot the PPK first to see how you like it. A good alternative would be the SIG P232.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post

+1 I agree. I also have the P232 and it carries very well via pocket or holster. The best thing about it is it's Sig quality.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links