Modified or custom carry guns?????

This is a discussion on Modified or custom carry guns????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see several folks on here that have their carry gun modified or have a trigger job done on them. I see many gunsmiths offering ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Modified or custom carry guns?????

I see several folks on here that have their carry gun modified or have a trigger job done on them. I see many gunsmiths offering "carry jobs". I have read any several place(books) , that its best to leave your carry gun stock in case you are actually involved in a shooting. What are your thoughts on this? Are you concerned that if you are involved in a shooting with a gun that has been modified that you might have more problems legally? I'm not trying to start anything I'm just wondering as someone that hasnt carried in years but hopes to get back into it.

VIP Member
    The modifications rendered on my self-defense guns have in no way made them less safe or more prone to unintentional discharge than they were when they came from the factory. Any and all changes have been made to render them more effective and reliable in defending me and mine.
    Pyzik and Bad Bob like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    To me, it all depends on the type of modification. Better sights, ergonomic improvements, reliability work, etc. won't hang you in court. Lightening a "combat" trigger pull into a "match" or "target" weight may have legal ramifications. Although overall I think the legalities of mods are blown out of proportion.

Good luck with starting to CC again, now is a really good time to get some training and up your proficiency.
    sensei2 likes this.

Some consider stock/factory weapons to be the least assailable position, if one is involved in the use of deadly force. Others don't think much of it.

Some thoughts by Marty Hayes, JD, of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network: Good, Bad and Ugly Gun Modifications. His take is basically how I've always thought of it:

Good modifications include changes that improve your ability to fire the gun accurately or modifications that increase functional reliability. If your gun is not stock, you need to be able to personally testify in court why you modified the gun, explaining how the modifications aid you in shooting. If you can explain a modification’s value to reliability or accuracy, it should be court defensible.
    Still, the reality is, if your use of force is justifiable, it shouldn't matter whether the violent felon is dead, hospitalized, injured or otherwise stopped by XYZ feature on the gun. No matter how much the prosecuting DA would wish to persecute you for it.

On my own carry guns, I've generally had trigger/action jobs specifically for the purpose of improving reliability and my ability to remain repeatably accurate. I have been very specific in the required specs for pull weight to avoid anything too light. I've often installed different sights or grips, again to improve my accuracy and safety. And, I've always kept away from alterations that had a strong chance of later being deemed dangerous, unsafe or downright "bloodthirsty" (ie, "hair" trigger pull weight, super-sized aftermarket magazines, any add-on product named "Perp Waster" or similar). Seems sensible enough. But that's just me.

EDIT: Here are some earlier discussions -- Best Trigger Pull Weight for Defense; and Mods to your EDC weapon.
    blitzburgh and sensei2 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have found no reason to have any of my SD weapons triggers modified. I have two weapons that I normally use for EDC and I have trained/practiced with them on a weekly basis and the long trigger or trigger pull weight would present no problems if the need for their use in a SD incident. I do have weapons that have had trigger modifications for target shooting but would never be used as a carry weapon.

I have after market sights and lasers on all my SD handguns because of failing eyesight. When you reach my age that little front sight is hard to see in the daylight let alone in the dark of night. LOL
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Here's my HK P30 with Robar NP3 plus and lighter factory trigger return spring.

And a Model 60 with a personal trigger job. I lightly stoned the trigger component surfaces for a very smooth trigger pull.

I do live in Texas though so I have God and the Republic on my side should I have to defend myself
    JD, Pyzik and BigJon10125 like this.

I've got a trigger polish on my fullsize, slide serrations on top and stippled/undercut the frame.
    All things that make the gun more functional for me. None of these things make it any more deadly or dangerous than a gun already is.

My thinking is this. A carry firearm is not a competition firearm. If I have to belly crawl through the sand and fire my firearm, I want it to work Period. If it is a target pistol leave it a target pistol. If it is a carry gun and you are having a feeding problem or somthing with it, take it to the factory or a reputable gun smith and have the problem taken care of. Don't go ordering parts and trying to become the home SMITH on a firearm you will trust your life to. Leave it stock (except sight of choice) or maybe a little polishing to improve what is there. Some custom firearms especially 1911's are built with carry features and tolerances in mind for that purpose. They are built for carry. I guess if you drop it in sand or mud, is it going to go bang when you need it. I have saw alot of inferior "CUSTOM" jobs on guns. You are dealing with usually 21ish feet to point blank range. I have been carrying a colt CCO box stock 1911 since 1998 (because it works everytime and if need be I can pump 8 rounds in a softball size group very quickly). Leave a carry gun a carry gun and don't try to make a gold cup out of it. Just my 2 cents.

Night Sights and Talon Grips is all I'll do to my EDC. I honestly see no point in modifying a trigger on my SD weapons. My hunting, target and recreational guns thats a different story.
    icemanls2 likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

VIP Member
    I would say this: Why? What can a trigger job do for your defensive carry weapon that training and practice cannot? I get a chuckle out of guys that I've met that spend all this money on their "combat" this or their "polished" that for their carry gun and they've never taken a training class and they hit the range once every six months to cap off their box of WWB.

If your name is Dave Sevigny you may have some legitimate reason for a trigger job. If you are in competition, sure, it may make sense... For a great number of people though, it's like buying the 'best' set of golf clubs because you believe that your level of performance is based on a thing as opposed to skill.
    OldVet, Smarshe, USM1976 and 2 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Ok thanks. Its good to see both sides. As I said I was just curious.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    I see several folks on here that have their carry gun modified or have a trigger job done on them. I see many gunsmiths offering "carry jobs". I have read any several place(books) , that its best to leave your carry gun stock in case you are actually involved in a shooting. What are your thoughts on this? Are you concerned that if you are involved in a shooting with a gun that has been modified that you might have more problems legally? I'm not trying to start anything I'm just wondering as someone that hasnt carried in years but hopes to get back into it.
    I don't believe you will find a single court case where a defendant involved in an otherwise legal self defense shooting was convicted because they had modified their firearm in any way. This is an old wives tale. People also will say using reloaded ammo will get you into legal trouble when again there's no court case I can find where someone was prosecuted for using reloaded ammo in an otherwise legal self defense shooting.

In civil court you can be sued for anything, but it's no guarantee you will lose or they will win.
    USM1976 and OD* like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Military Arms, thanks. I have heard it many many times. I alos had heard the same about handloaded ammo as you mentioned.

The other consideration to be made is how likely are you to ever see your gun again if it is involved in a defensive shooting. I realize it is a small price to pay for your life, but do you really want to lose your favorite gun to the evidence locker if you can help it?

Personally, I haven't had the desire to change anything on my carry Glocks, not even the sights. I actually like them just how they are and it's what I always practice with.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links