Pocket gun advice

This is a discussion on Pocket gun advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently looking at a Keltec P3AT and a Ruger LCP for summer pocket carry. My lgs currently has a new Keltec for $265 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pocket gun advice

Pocket gun advice

I am currently looking at a Keltec P3AT and a Ruger LCP for summer pocket carry. My lgs currently has a new Keltec for $265 and a used Ruger for $250, I really like the fit and finish of the LCP but am concerned since it is used , will Ruger still cover it since it is used or would I be better off getting the new Keltec with lifetime warranty?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I would advise shooting a Kel-Tec .380 before buying; not comfortable at all for me; nasty bite! I believe Ruger would stand behind the LCP, although not positive.
    Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
    take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by coltchris View Post
    I would advise shooting a Kel-Tec .380 before buying; not comfortable at all for me; nasty bite!
    Just my oppnion, but I have shot both the LCR and the p3at and could not tell a difference. Both had a equally nasty bite from what I could tell. I ended up keeping the p3at because it's a tab bit lighter then the LCP and a ounce or two makes a difference when it comes to pocket carry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Ruger does not actually offer a warranty at all. When you buy a new Ruger there is no way to register it and no warranty card. They have a very good reputation for standing behind their products with what is essentially a lifetime warranty of the product not limited to the original owner. I have never had to use their service, but there have been many stories on this forum that reflect well on Ruger.

I wouldn't carry either just because of the round. I had a Kahr PM9 for pocket carry but traded it. You might be able to find a used one for a reasonable price. Much better than the Ruger or the Kel-Tec in my opinion.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    I wouldn't carry either just because of the round. I had a Kahr PM9 for pocket carry but traded it. You might be able to find a used one for a reasonable price. Much better than the Ruger or the Kel-Tec in my opinion.
    Better? Yes. However they are quote a bit larger as well.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Ruger gets my vote. And you can find new ones for $299 around here.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I can tell you from personal experience that Ruger will stand behind their products regardless of whether you are the original buyer or not. We own three LCPs. One had some teething issues - took Ruger two tries but they got it running properly...even tested it with 100 rounds on their dime. They probably lost money on that gun, but when time came to get a revolver, you can guess what I bought...
    NCSoxFan likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Get a new LCP. It shouldn't run you more than $300 for a new one.

Re: Pocket gun advice

No one around here has any new LCPs in stock and when they do they run around $350

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

I have both the LCP and the P3AT...Ive had ZERO failures from either gun. I will admit since I got the LCP I don't carry the P3AT much anymore. The fit and finish on the Ruger is a little better. Hence the little higher price tag. LCP's can be bought at the local gun show for 275.00...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Ruger all the way.... the difference in quality and reliability is profound. I know alot of folks like their keltecs, but I tried one and it was a jam-o-matic. Sold it and bought my Kahr CM9 ...which I highly recommend.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Re: Pocket gun advice

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Ruger all the way.... the difference in quality and reliability is profound. I know alot of folks like their keltecs, but I tried one and it was a jam-o-matic. Sold it and bought my Kahr CM9 ...which I highly recommend.
    I had a Kahr CM9 for a couple months and didn't care for it so I sold it and thankfully got what I paid for it, they aren't a bad gun, it just wasn't for me.

Get a new LCP.

Never owned a keltec but can speak for the LCP and would definitely recommend it. It has been a great gun that I can carry when I can't carry anything else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links