9mm as a CCW

9mm as a CCW

This is a discussion on 9mm as a CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to decide on whether or not to get a S&W Shield in 9mm for a concealed carry piece. I prefer the 40 or 45 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 9mm as a CCW

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar

9mm as a CCW

Trying to decide on whether or not to get a S&W Shield in 9mm for a concealed carry piece. I prefer the 40 or 45 and have quite a bit of 40 S&W ammo. I also carry a 40 S&W on duty. Do any of you that carry a 9mm also for cc feel "undergunned", so to speak?
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

VIP Member
    I carried a .40 as my ccw then switched to 9mm because I was faster and more accurate with it. I don't feel undergunned in the least, especially when you add in the fact that I went from 9+1 to 15+1.

It's a personal preference thing though, so what works for me, may not work for the next guy; I only need it to work for me!
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

For my EDC I have my SW M&P 9mm and i love it it. I am able to carry 17+1 and I feel that is enough at times. But most of the time have my extra mag within reach!
    CharlesMorri likes this.

I think you'll find on here most guys that carry SAuto are 9 or 45 guys. Shield is an EXCELLENT carry piece even though its relatively new. I carry 9 and never feel under gunned. The different carry rounds for 9 are incredibly well researched.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Depending on what I am doing it could be a .380, 38, 9 mm .40 or 45. I am comfortable with each of these, something is better then nothing.

IMO 9mm is the ideal CCW round. In a good loading it is ballistically potent while still being fairly easy to control out of the small/light weight CCW pistols that are popular today.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Undergunned? Nope. Have a Glock 17 by my side right now.
    64zebra and CharlesMorri like this.

You're carrying a pistol, not a RPG. You are undergunned. Get used to it - does not matter the caliber.

I carry a .45 on duty because the heavier bullet has less deflection through hard barriers like auto glass - not because I think it has any greater ability to stop someone than any other caliber. Off duty, I am less concerned about barriers, so I carry .380, .38, 9mm, or .45 - depending on the circumstances.
    VBVAGUY and gasmitty like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    modern ballistics on a JHP 9mm are extremely good these days. Depending on my clothes I carry a S&W Body Guard .380 or a M&P 9mm Shield. I'm not going to shoot an attacker 10-20 yards away and I will be defending myself at a lot closer distance. Plenty of people have been stopped with 9mm or smaller.

Not at all. With +P rounds and a good JHP you should not worry. I can double and Tripple tap far more accurately with my 9mm than with my .45 1911.
    64zebra likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

9mm is where i begin to think i have enough gun. .38SPL, .380 and below, i feel under-gunned. though just a bit with .38+P.

i carry 9mm guns about half the time - a Sig 239 and a Kahr CM-9.

the other 50% i carry .357SIG and .45ACP - these guns are Sig 229's, 220's, and S&W 625's.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies. I was considering getting a small pocket size .380 a year or so back but kept putting it off. I know the 9mm is much better than the 380ACP. I think I may just go with the 9mm Shield as the price is too good to pass up and I love how it feels in my hand.
    64zebra likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I bet my life and the life of my family every day on 9mm being enough if the situation arises.
    CharlesMorri and BiggSlic like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was considering getting a small pocket size .380 a year or so back but kept putting it off. I know the 9mm is much better than the 380ACP. I think I may just go with the 9mm Shield as the price is too good to pass up and I love how it feels in my hand.
    Boy, when you find a gun that feels right in your hand and you shoot it well...what more can you ask for? For me, I alternated between my 9 and .45 for quite a while at our 'training matches.' I noticed (as did others) that I'm just a bit more accurate with my .45 and not any slower so I carry and mainly shoot that now (which is nice because I can actually buy .45 ACP right now). So this will all be very individual but don't worry about the caliber too much. More small bullets vs. fewer big ones; 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

Best wishes!

I carry and love my .45 Glock on duty. It's a great gun. Accurate. Reliable. Powerful. I carry a 9mm G19 off duty. On one hand, I kinda wish it were a .40. However, I've yet to hear of a situation where a thug had his hands up initially and then sighed with relief saying, "Oh. Nevermind. I thought you had something bigger than a 9mm."

I'm confident that my hollow point 9mm rounds will do just fine in any situation I come across in plain clothes. Plus, I like the fact I have 15 rounds with me. If I were carrying a .45, it'd be closer to 8 rounds.
    zonker1986 and CharlesMorri like this.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links