New Kimber Solo STS Review

This is a discussion on New Kimber Solo STS Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought a new Kimber Solo this week, wanted to give a review. Here she is: I went out and shot roughly 50 rounds thru it....about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Kimber Solo STS Review

Cool New Kimber Solo STS Review

Bought a new Kimber Solo this week, wanted to give a review. Here she is:

I went out and shot roughly 50 rounds thru it....about 30 rounds of 147 gr FMJ and 20 of 115 gr hollow points. And I'm happy to report not a single hiccup! I was afraid the 115's wouldn't feed with all of Kimber's warnings about them but they did great. I even limp wristed with 115's and still fed the next round perfectly.

The one issue I did have was about 2 or 3 times I accidentally hit the mag release button and the mag would partially pull out therefore not feeding the next round. Once I became aware of my thumb hitting it, I never did it again. I may see if a gunsmith could maybe grind down the mag release just a little to possibly help. Otherwise, I just need to train myself to not keep my thumb so high while I shoot. Like I said, once I realized what I was doing, it never happened again.

Accuracy wise, this gun was popping glass bottles on the first shot from a good 7-10 yards away. It's VERY accurate for its size! I'm incredibly impressed!!!

So I don't know if I just got a good model or if it's because it's a newer build (Jan 23, 2013) and Kimber got the bugs out but, so far I'm really impressed by this gun.

It feels great in my front or back pocket, smoothed with no snag points (I just sold my Sig P938 because it wasn't smooth enough for pocket carry). The trigger is SO SMOOTH!!!! The best way to describe it is like a spongey single action. It's not quite double action and not quite a firm single action. It's just a pure blissful spongey single action, lol!

Ummm what else? Obviously it's beautiful as you can tell, it's solid, it's very tight. Umm I will say for someone like a girl, they won't be able to rack the slide. And I can't at all if my hands or the gun is oily from cleaning even in the slightest way. The recoil spring is 2 seperate springs and when that second spring kicks in, it really gets tough. You can forget about putting in a full magazine and then racking the slide, you MUST have the slide racked and locked open THEN you put in the magazine and either depress the slide release or hand rack the slide putting the round into battery.

I got this for a bit over MSRP but I believe it's worth it because it feels like a gun that expensive...and it's the answer I've been looking for after looking at Kahr PM9's, Springfield XDs, and actually buying the LCP (screw that gun, it kicks like a mule and the damn firing pin fell out while firing and hit me in the face!) and the Sig P938 (loved the looks but not the sharp snag points and the jamming which Sig did fix)....the Solo is my answer to my pocket carry situation!

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the info. That's the gun I'm leaning toward buying. Problem is I can't find any around here. I'm waiting on my permit (6 weeks now and possibly 2 months to go) so I don't have any rush.

I got mine on gunbroker.com

I've seen them on there. I would rather see it in person and make sure of the condition if I can. If I don't find one around here in about another month i guess I'll go for online. The dealers gunbroker lists to ship to around here range from $50 to $100 for the paperwork.

There are two new models of the solo on Kimbers website. Different finish with and without crimson trace. I don't know what that will do to the availability.

Well gunbroker is a collection of sellers like eBay. And the sellers should ship to any FFL dealer. And if its listed as brand new, it's brand new.

Ya they have an all black one now and some other one. They added front and rear grip texturing. Where as this model I have the STS has no texturing.

Interesting. I really would like to see them in person to compare. I don't like the 2 tone so I figured I would go with the stainless and then add the crimson trace if I wanted later.

Exactly what I plan to do. The two tone is merely just black paint over the aluminum frame and it scratches very easily

Mine has been accurate and trouble-free since purchase. I've never had any FTE or FTF's with mine. I don't know if the CDP version has any differences as far as manufacturing goes (better fitment, polishing, etc.) but mine ate up 115gr range ammo without an issue. I also have the Sig P938 SAS which is nice because it has been "de-horned" to minimize snagging like the Kimber. Enjoy your new gun.

I have one with the crimson trace laser and it is a sweet setup. It is accurate and reliable as you have found with yours.

Great pic DoingOK!

Nice Solo, ZmannR2.

Mine has been flawless as well, and as you said accuracy is amazing for its size.

nice solo i want one of these so bad... everytime i step foot in my local gander mountain i hold and look at the solo.. but just cant make myself pay for it
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow04 View Post
    nice solo i want one of these so bad... everytime i step foot in my local gander mountain i hold and look at the solo.. but just cant make myself pay for it
    Our local Gander Mountain has only had a few Solos, and they've never had one for a whole day. They are as rare as hen's teeth around here. I'm in gun shops at least once a week in either VA, WV, TN, or KY and the ONLY one I've seen that wasn't already sold is the one I bought.

If you want one and it's still available, go for it. If you pay retail price or less and decide it's not for you, you will have no trouble getting your money back if you sell it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links