.40 S&W the best choice right now?

This is a discussion on .40 S&W the best choice right now? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all I own a Kimber solo in 9mm and a Gen 4 G23 in the .40. Right now with current ammo selections it's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: .40 S&W the best choice right now?

First of all I own a Kimber solo in 9mm and a Gen 4 G23 in the .40. Right now with current ammo selections it's obvious that the .40 is the best choice to have right now if you're going to be at the range much. But honestly isn't it also the best round to carry? Everything about this round is amazing. It has plenty of weight behind it. It has for me at least plenty of speed. It's not quite as fast as the 9mm but it is faster than the .45. I think it's the best of both worlds. And with ammo prices being quite similar to the 9mm it's going to be a great choice for me because availability is amazing right now compared to any other caliber.

What are y'all's thoughts on this round? Likes and dislikes? It's my personal favorite TBH

VIP Member
    There is no "best round to carry", there's only what's best for each individual.

If you like it, carry it and be happy. If something else works better, then carry that instead.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Tx expat got it right. There is no best round. I have a .40, I like it, I have a .45 I like too. Just depends on the individual. Being proficient with any round is far more useful as you will be able to actually hit the target.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Big calibers generally are preferable to smaller ones. But the one you can hit with is the best of all. The 40 S&W is just fine.

I think it is a great round and I'm very happy with it. There are other great rounds as well but I prefer to carry the .40.

The best round is one you can shoot accurately. For argument same lets say you can shoot anything accurately. My research has show the .40 caliber is the best. Although smaller than the .45 balistically the .40 does more shock to the body than the .45. People get too focused on size or velocity.

Just keep in mind that if you are proficient with a different caliber, and prefer it, then there's really no reason to change. Ammunition will eventually become available again, I don't think it's worth spending $500+ on a firearm that you'll only use during the current craze.

That much said, I love my .40 caliber. Physics are on its side, and I don't find the recoil particularly snappy or hard. To me, I barely noticed a difference between my .45, though it was a bit more pronounced compared to my 9mm. I carry heavy-for-caliber though, which helps with a .40 I hear.

I'd say hit a rental gun range and try one out first to make sure you like it.
    Eric357 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    It makes no difference to me, I'm more apt to go with whatever round the specific gun was originally designed for. Between 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, or .45 auto I'll take what functions best in the gun over any myth on which is the best stopper. I do try to stay away from 10mm though; I like cats.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    I carry heavy-for-caliber though, which helps with a .40 I hear.
    AK_Brian: What do you mean by this?

I carry a m&p 40c. The main reason I got the 40 was that I could also convert it to 9mm and 357sig. Right now I like the fact that I can go into almost any store and get ammo right now for the 40!
    DandLfam likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Toy, I think he was stating that the 180gr .40's seem to have less recoil than the 135-155-165gr rounds. With the lighter weight .40 bullets the slide will move faster and increase perceived recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by toyzilla View Post

I carry a m&p 40c. The main reason I got the 40 was that I could also convert it to 9mm and 357sig. Right now I like the fact that I can go into almost any store and get ammo right now for the 40!
    I don't go to a store, I go to my ammo locker.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I got 10mm, 9mm, .357sig, 40 and .380. Right now I am carrying .40 +p and if I knew for sure I was going to be in a gun fight ahead of time I would either bring the 10mm or .357sig although I would not have doubts about the .40. Anything up close and personal a.22 would work but if you add any distance or need to shoot through something I want all I can get and I think the 10mm and the 357sig offer a bit more than the .40. The 45 is ok and I have owned a few but I would take a hot .40 over the 45. Just my opinion and everybody has one. I think a person should carry what they feel secure with whatever the caliber and I do think the ammo supply will be messed up at least two years and that is if we are lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by toyzilla View Post

As Matthew03 said it means running heavier bullets. Heavy for caliber means you are running the heaviest, or near heaviest weight bullets for that particular caliber. For the .40, that usually means 180/185gr bullets, which have a lower velocity, and therefore lower perceived recoil than say a 135gr.

I have a glock 27 i love it how ever ive got a nice .45 acp i love it as well i have a 9mm it has its ups and downs got a lil j frame revolver .38spl i carry the 27 most of the time im a good shot with all just the size of the 27 plust i have a 13 round mag with 2 9 round mags i just like em all i really like the 40 s&w a ilil snapy but i like the snapy :)
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

Quote Originally Posted by ZmannR2 View Post
    First of all I own a Kimber solo in 9mm and a Gen 4 G23 in the .40. Right now with current ammo selections it's obvious that the .40 is the best choice to have right now if you're going to be at the range much. But honestly isn't it also the best round to carry? Everything about this round is amazing. It has plenty of weight behind it. It has for me at least plenty of speed. It's not quite as fast as the 9mm but it is faster than the .45. I think it's the best of both worlds. And with ammo prices being quite similar to the 9mm it's going to be a great choice for me because availability is amazing right now compared to any other caliber.

What are y'all's thoughts on this round? Likes and dislikes? It's my personal favorite TBH
    Ur just abt right, however if you look at bullet stats the 357 sig is best right now in overall performance, capacity specs. I would put 40sw in a close 2nd with 45acp and 9mm tying for third in auto pistol service rounds. Others will argue the point. What I carry? I have several of all the service calibers because I just like guns in general.. And yes ur so right for a while abt the only pistol ammo u could find for awhile during this current panic run was the 40sw. 40 smith is an excellent to carry.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links