Internal Locks

Internal Locks

This is a discussion on Internal Locks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have read that there "could" be a problem with internat locks. Looking to buy a S&W 442. Do I have to specify "no internal lock"? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Internal Locks

Internal Locks

Have read that there "could" be a problem with internat locks. Looking to buy a S&W 442. Do I have to specify "no internal lock"? Also, is the only difference between a 442 and 642 is the finish?

...here's an informed, somewhat unbiased, explanation...I'm biased...won't own a gun with an internal lock...

Massad Ayoob » Blog Archive » INTERNAL GUN LOCKS
    Richard58 and msgt/ret like this.

I have a 442-2 with lock. Hundreds of rounds through it without an issue. Ive carried it in an ankle holster for two years with lots of sand, dirt, snow, mud in it. Never had the lock activate on me.

I still wish it wasnt there.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

I have a 642 with no lock, and I don't want one with that lawyer lock as we call it in NC. You can still get a 642 without the lock. Do so while u still can. I plan on getting another one soon.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Re: Internal Locks

I carry a 642-2 with the lock. Had almost a thousand rounds thru it before I removed the lock. Never had any problems with it though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Livin the Life!
    Join and Support the NRA

get a ruger sp101 2.4 made much better shoots 38+ps like a dream

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Unlike the S&Ws that I've heard will lock up with a fall off a table, I've never heard of any Rugers locking up.

No ugly hole for dirt or lint to get into as well.

...yeah, me, too, but we're talkin' locks here, not tanks

VIP Member
    I have multiple Smiths with locks. Thousands of rounds through them. No problems. One of my main carries is a 642-2 (lock) and my HD gun is a 686+ w/lock. I trust both with my life and lives of my family.

I too have a 642 and 442 with internal locks. Not a big deal ever... You can remove the lock and plug the hole if you feel so threatened. I have not seen or heard anyone on this forum, and there are thousands of us, that have had a problem with the internal lock...

Maybe you should sell me that bad bad gun with the internal lock... I'll give you low dollar for it because it is sooo evil, it will lock up without the special key... (please note sarcasm)...

But I would low ball ya for the gun...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...here's an informed, somewhat unbiased, explanation...I'm biased...won't own a gun with an internal lock...

Massad Ayoob » Blog Archive » INTERNAL GUN LOCKS
    I really like Massad's candid style. He also points out good reasons for not disabling the locks. I'm fine with the lock on my 637, but if it bothered me, I'd get rid of it and get one without the lock.

Internal locks are political stupidity, however I have never had an issue with them. Pretty much i am in different.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I bought a S&W 442 a number of years back and it had the stupid internal lock. I ordered a Wolff shooters pack spring set and while I was doing surgery on it replacing the main spring and trigger return spring, I polished the contacts with a dremel and metal polish and removed the flag. No more internal lock. I also swapped grips to a set of old school wooden S&W grips from an older gun. Now, it is the PERFECT carry revolver. Small light weight snub, smooth great shooter with an awesome trigger, no lock, and the small wooden grips I came to love in old school Smith snubbies. Perfection.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

The only S&W I own that had an IL is a 610 in 10mm that I bought used and the lock was gone when I bought it. I was in no big hurry to replace it either. I did buy a plug from (I think) the S&W forum to fill the hole. I own a lot of older revolvers but when I was looking for a newer one I bought the new Lemon Squeezer just because it lacked the IL.

And, FWIW, I was very disapointed in the fit and finish of that revolver. Rough action, and the grips fit so poorly I could almost use them like Barami Hip Grips. Had to get those replaced by Smith, and while I was working on the action and doing a trigger job, I made sure the grip safety released with a minimum amount of pressure. It's good now, and I got it as payment for some gunsmithing work so I had very little nvested in it. but I would not have been happy if I was a retail customer.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

No lock. But that's just me. Never had a revolver with a lock and won't start now.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links