Defensive Carry banner

Taurus Really Outdid Itself Today

3K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  MJB_17 
#1 ·
Made a range trip this afternoon, took out my M&P9c, my Glock 27 and decided for kicks to pull out my problem ridden Taurus 740 out of the box and give it a run. Ran 100 rounds each through the M&P and the Glock, no issues at all (as expected). Then came the Taurus...I had a box of 180gr Speer Lawman (my preferred practice ammo), the gun was in perfectly clean and lubed condition. Of the 4 magazines I have, one consistently would not feed the second round in the magazine. Of the 50 rounds in the box, I had 6 yes 6 light strikes! I subsequently fired each of those rounds through the Glock with no issue, so it was not the ammo at fault.

But wait there's more! When I got home to do cleaning, I noticed that the front sight was literally right about to fall off again (this happened before and was "fixed" by Taurus, and now after being taken apart and reassembled the gun will now only fire in the double action/second strike mode.

All I can say is that I wish there was a facepalm emoticon...

#3 ·
Yep, bought taurus once - NEVER AGAIN. And boy do I get tempted by their revolvers too, but I just can't go back with a company that always comes up in searches or discussions of problems.

I've decided that goes for all the other questionable manufactures as well, I'll just stick to buying from proven reputable manufactures.

#7 ·
I have several Taurus semi-autos (PT-99, PT-111, PT-22). After 10 years the extractor came loose on the PT-111. Taurus fixed it and it runs like a champ again. I have the M85 and M605, M94 and nary a problem.

I had a Ruger P-97 (.45ACP) that was a problem, especially with steel case ammo. I sold it to an Army buddy (he knew why I didn't want it) and it has run flawlessly for him. Go figure. My other Rugers are tanks - flawless.

#11 ·
Bought one taurus several years ago...after three trips to taurus I gave up on it and literslly gave it to a friend who knew of the issue. It was a 357 snubbie........ never buy another taurus again.

#17 ·
That is somewhat accurate, but I don't fall into either category. I purchased the 740 since I like the concept of a powerful round in a light and highly concealable package and basically the same controls as a Glock plus a thumb safety. The design concept is good, unfortunately their quality control sucks.

#15 ·
Not going to beat up on them to bad.
Their revolvers have been pretty good over the years, for many years I have refused to buy any weapon not American made by an American own company.
25 years ago that was not my view. I picked up a new SS 669 6 inch 357. It has flawlessly killed a lot of deer and still looks like a new weapon.
I have know others that had their autos with no problems and then a few that had problems. Many of their Auto's are copies of other higher end weapons.
I will not buy one for the above reason, and I can afford to buy what I want. But if money was an issue I would have no problems with one of their revolvers.

#18 ·
I haven't had any trouble out of my 3 Taurus semi autos. Probably 10k rounds through the three of them combined.

That being said, Taurus is not the value today that it was 5 years ago. Their prices have increased to the point where you really aren't saving much over some other brands. When I purchased mine, there was a very big difference in pricing. I do not regret purchasing any of the three, and will carry them without hesitation.

For close to the same amount of money as the 740 depending on which model you bought, you could have gotten a Kahr CW40, basically the same size, but actually lighter than the 740.

#20 ·
My daughter saw a raspberry TCP 380 that she liked and so being a good father bought one for her, big mistake. The same day i cleaned the gun and we made a trip to the range the piece of garbage would not fire more then three rounds in a row of any type of ammo. The gun was again cleaned, tried different magazines, different ammo, different shooters to no avail. Took it back to the gun store explained the problems to the shop owner and he took it in trade on a LCP. He claims to have since returned it to Taurus.

#22 ·
Taurus is hit and miss. I bought a stainless steel slide PT709 when they first came out and I've put over 2000 flawless rounds through it. It's been great, and I carry it with no concerns at all. One of the funnest guns I have. One of my buddies has a PT740 blued slide and between the two of us we have put around 800 rounds through his and it has been flawless. I think I like it better than my 709. My FIL bought a PT111 before he died and we put around 500 rounds through it and it was great. Then, s couple years ago, I bought a PT845, and I was not at all happy with it. I traded it in on a G36 and my best friend ended up buying it from the pawn shop I traded it to. He's been tickled to death with it.

Based on my personal experiences and observations of close friends, they are somewhat hit and miss. If you get a good one, it is really good. If you get a bad one, it is really bad. Seems about 80% are good, but if you are unfortunate enough to get one that was made on a Monday morning by the guy with an all weekend bender hangover you will be frustrated with it. I can't blame anyone for having a bad opinion who has such an experience. If I had, I probably would too. I like the one I have, but will probably be choosing other manufacturers and products in the future. Too many options on the market to take a chance.

#24 ·
Glad to hear something good about Taurus for once. My very first handgun was a Taurus Model 85 in .38 Special, and it did fine for me. I have owned three more Taurus products since then and only had problems with one of them, which Taurus fixed correctly and never had any issues with it after that. I don't think they are as bad as most people think.

#26 ·
I've owned my PT145 MIL-PRO for going on seven years. I've only had a couple mis-feeds caused by a magazine I picked up at a gun show. That gun's been flawless otherwise; I trust it completely. IMO, you can't ask for a better CC .45; small, light, 10+1 capacity, very manageable recoil & very accurate. No issues at all.

#27 ·
I own 3 Taurus hand guns a PT-92, PT-111 and a 605 all have been flawless for me.

That said, a friend of mine bought a PT-140 (because I liked my Pt-111) and that was a piece of junk that went back to Taurus 3 times to fix feed and ejection problems and was eventually traded off.

#30 ·
Update...called again and was 3rd in line so after about 5 minutes of listening to the soundtrack from Oregon Trail I got a person. She was mildly helpful, and that is being a bit generous, they wanted me to pay $60 to have it shipped via Fedex (HAH!), I said no and that I would just sell it as is for a loss. Got put on hold a few minutes and they came back asking where I bought it (Academy Sports, big Taurus retailer), and encouraged me to contact Academy and they should take care of the shipping. Kind of a pain since I will have to go there twice to drop it off and pick it up due to FFL transfer rules but if it is free I can live with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.