Taurus Really Outdid Itself Today

This is a discussion on Taurus Really Outdid Itself Today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Made a range trip this afternoon, took out my M&P9c, my Glock 27 and decided for kicks to pull out my problem ridden Taurus 740 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Taurus Really Outdid Itself Today

Made a range trip this afternoon, took out my M&P9c, my Glock 27 and decided for kicks to pull out my problem ridden Taurus 740 out of the box and give it a run. Ran 100 rounds each through the M&P and the Glock, no issues at all (as expected). Then came the Taurus...I had a box of 180gr Speer Lawman (my preferred practice ammo), the gun was in perfectly clean and lubed condition. Of the 4 magazines I have, one consistently would not feed the second round in the magazine. Of the 50 rounds in the box, I had 6 yes 6 light strikes! I subsequently fired each of those rounds through the Glock with no issue, so it was not the ammo at fault.

But wait there's more! When I got home to do cleaning, I noticed that the front sight was literally right about to fall off again (this happened before and was "fixed" by Taurus, and now after being taken apart and reassembled the gun will now only fire in the double action/second strike mode.

All I can say is that I wish there was a facepalm emoticon...

I like my Taurus 85 ultralite and 605 polymer but I avoid their semi-automatics for just this reason!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Distinguished Member
    Yep, bought taurus once - NEVER AGAIN. And boy do I get tempted by their revolvers too, but I just can't go back with a company that always comes up in searches or discussions of problems.

I've decided that goes for all the other questionable manufactures as well, I'll just stick to buying from proven reputable manufactures.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    decided for kicks to pull out my problem ridden Taurus 740 out of the box and give it a run.
    Well, give it credit for consistency - right?
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Well, give it credit for consistency - right?
    You can say the same for Congress...

I have had good luck with my Taurus 709. Only time was one magazine was not feeding right. Loosened the mag lip a little and no problems since. I do like my S&W Shield better though.
    Last edited by Carib; February 23rd, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

I have several Taurus semi-autos (PT-99, PT-111, PT-22). After 10 years the extractor came loose on the PT-111. Taurus fixed it and it runs like a champ again. I have the M85 and M605, M94 and nary a problem.

I had a Ruger P-97 (.45ACP) that was a problem, especially with steel case ammo. I sold it to an Army buddy (he knew why I didn't want it) and it has run flawlessly for him. Go figure. My other Rugers are tanks - flawless.
    USN Retired

I have a PT111 that has been flawless so far. My father in law had it before me, & in the past few years I've only seen it jam on e. It was cold, raining, using cheap ammo, and shivering as I was, I probably caused the jam.

Here you go

Don't beat yourself up too badly - I'm 3 for 4 with Kahr
    MJB_17 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

My brother really likes his 24/7 compact G2.....

Bought one taurus several years ago...after three trips to taurus I gave up on it and literslly gave it to a friend who knew of the issue. It was a 357 snubbie........ never buy another taurus again.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Taurus caters to the lower end buyer who is mostly ignorant about what a good firearm really is.

That's to bad. I never owned a Taurus but was thinking about buying one (Mil Pro 45) about 5 years ago but I never did.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    You can say the same for Congress...
    Surprisingly, Taurus has a higher approval rate than Congress...and shows better results...
    BugDude likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Not going to beat up on them to bad.
    Their revolvers have been pretty good over the years, for many years I have refused to buy any weapon not American made by an American own company.
    25 years ago that was not my view. I picked up a new SS 669 6 inch 357. It has flawlessly killed a lot of deer and still looks like a new weapon.
    I have know others that had their autos with no problems and then a few that had problems. Many of their Auto's are copies of other higher end weapons.
    I will not buy one for the above reason, and I can afford to buy what I want. But if money was an issue I would have no problems with one of their revolvers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links