Beretta Nano, almost confident as carry piece...

This is a discussion on Beretta Nano, almost confident as carry piece... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking for something similar to my G26 to carry but in a single stack. After looking around I settled on a Beretta Nano. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Beretta Nano, almost confident as carry piece...

I was looking for something similar to my G26 to carry but in a single stack. After looking around I settled on a Beretta Nano. Don't ask why, I found one at my dealer and decided to take it home. My carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 147gr. My practice ammo is Speer Lawman 147gr. My first trip to the range I fired 100rds and had 2 failures to extract. After reading up on the Nano I found this to be common problem and began to wonder if I made the right decision. My second trip to the range I fired 200rds with no issues. I started feeling better. Today I went and fired another 200rds with no failures. Now I'm feeling much better. I figured one more session of 200rds without failure and I will feel pretty confident in carrying my Nano as a daily carry piece. Anyone else having good luck with this little pistol? I've gone and bought rubberized Talon grips, CrimsonTrace LaserGuard, and a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck. I also just have 5 6rd mags and 5 8rd mags. I'm really starting to like this little pistol!!! I wouldn't say it shoots as well as my G26 but I feel it will serve its purpose that I am asking for. Just thought I'd share my experience so far...
    Thank you,
    Brian

2. Remove Ads

im enjoying mine so far as well. Itll be my new carry after I get a few more boxes of ammo through it.

Out of curiosity, do you find not having a slide lock annoying? I've never used a weapon that didn't have one. Also, if you rack the slide on an empty mag does it lock back?

I carry mine when it gets hot. Out of 583 rounds, I've had 11 FTE's or 1.89%. Sounds high, but 5 were from one box of 115gr Federal Champions(won't buy that again). Another 5 were from some old Speer Lawman's I had. The other I had was from WWB 115gr. Never had a FTE from self-defense ammo or RWS. They seem to like 124gr or better. I just put the Talon rubber grips on (had the Hogue Jr), but I have not shot it since I got those added. Now that I have worked through the old Speer stuff, I'll see how it does with my other target rounds. While not as good as my Glocks in the FTE department, it serves it's purpose and it has been reliable with the ammo I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you find not having a slide lock annoying? I've never used a weapon that didn't have one. Also, if you rack the slide on an empty mag does it lock back?
    Not really, I haven't come across a situation where timing was critical to do so. At the range I just drop the loaded mag and insert an empty to lock the slide back during cease fires. Takes a ffew more steps than normal but i get why Beretta did so, she is slim.
    Yep, that's exactly how you are to do it if you need the slide open.

Quote Originally Posted by joe44473 View Post
    im enjoying mine so far as well. Itll be my new carry after I get a few more boxes of ammo through it.
    That's exactly what I'm looking to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    I carry mine when it gets hot. Out of 583 rounds, I've had 11 FTE's or 1.89%. Sounds high, but 5 were from one box of 115gr Federal Champions(won't buy that again). Another 5 were from some old Speer Lawman's I had. The other I had was from WWB 115gr. Never had a FTE from self-defense ammo or RWS. They seem to like 124gr or better. I just put the Talon rubber grips on (had the Hogue Jr), but I have not shot it since I got those added. Now that I have worked through the old Speer stuff, I'll see how it does with my other target rounds. While not as good as my Glocks in the FTE department, it serves it's purpose and it has been reliable with the ammo I carry.
    I carry 147gr Speer Gold Dots and I like to practice with what I carry weight wise. I just prefer the recoil of the heavier bullet more than the lighter stuff.
    I love Talon grips, especially the new rubberized style. I replaced the granular style on both my Glocks and now have them on my Nano. I wish they'd come out with them for my Bravo Company pistol grips that I have on both my AR15's, my M&P15-22, and my 870P that I just added the Mesa Tactical LEO stock kit to.
    I figure 500rds failure free plus s couple mags of the good stuff and I should be good to go...

I'll take my new Nano out early next week and put it thru its paces. Even if I fired every round of 9mm I have at the moment it probably wouldn't be a great test (I've got 100 rounds of 124 NATO ball, 100 rounds of 115 WWB & a few boxes of duty ammo) but I'll at least get an impression of it. Man, I hope ammo availability improves soon!

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I forgot to mention in case I wasn't clear, it does lock back after last round is fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I'll take my new Nano out early next week and put it thru its paces. Even if I fired every round of 9mm I have at the moment it probably wouldn't be a great test (I've got 100 rounds of 124 NATO ball, 100 rounds of 115 WWB & a few boxes of duty ammo) but I'll at least get an impression of it. Man, I hope ammo availability improves soon!
    I hear ya!!! I have a hole growing in my safe that used to be filled with ammo. Every trip to the range gets shorter and shorter, since I'm not bringing as much ammo with me each time. At least I can spread it out between all my platforms; 9mm pistols, 12ga shotguns, 5.56 AR's, and 22 AR. It's almost making me want to get into reloading. Although I hear that's getting to be just as bad...?

Good to hear the nano is treating you better, I have been more than pleased with mine and I have had zero issues in roughly 400 rounds.
    Gen 3 G19 ~ Gen 3 G19 OD ~ Gen 3 G34 ~ PT 738 ~ M&P 9mm ~ Ruger 22/45 4" bull barrel ~ Marlin 60~ PSA M4 Carbine ~

These guns get such a mixed bag of reviews I don't know what to think. I wouldn't rule it out as a carry piece, but I would definitely put it through its paces before ridin with it. It does seem as though the reports are getting better, though.
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    FTE= fail to eject, or fail to extract? I always get confused as to what is which, or the difference between the two!!!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    FTE= fail to eject, or fail to extract? I always get confused as to what is which, or the difference between the two!!!
    It's failure to extract. If for whatever reason the extractor jumps off the case rim causing a malfunction then it certainly isn't going to eject as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by JT353 View Post
    It's failure to extract. If for whatever reason the extractor jumps off the case rim causing a malfunction then it certainly isn't going to eject as a result.
    So fail to extract and fail to eject are the same thing?
    Tony

I picked up my Namo last week. It's shot maybe 5 magazines through it between my daughter and myself, I was letting her get a feel for several different hand guns. I'm still getting use to it and plan more trips to the range to get a better feel for it. It does have a longer trigger pull than my M&P 9c, so not having a slide lock or manual safety should not as big of an issue as a carry gun as I first thought. I'm now searching a good fitting IWB holster, so far I've found a Blackhawk size 5 that will get me by, but there has to be a better fitting holster available. I'd prefer a leather or suede with single belt clip. The local stores I've checked are low in stock on holsters so finding a good fit has become difficult. What have you found as a good fit for your Nano?
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links