Slide questions

Slide questions

This is a discussion on Slide questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 65 year old mom recently passed her CWP course. She shot at 80 percent with my S&W model 27 using 38 Special rounds. While ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Slide questions

Slide questions

My 65 year old mom recently passed her CWP course. She shot at 80 percent with my S&W model 27 using 38 Special rounds. While waiting on her paperwork to finish I took her to a local range that has a number of guns to rent. After she and I tried out several she found a S&W 640 the easiest to to load and shoot; however, she shot the tightest group with a Glock 36 in 45acp.
    The problem is the slide is a little difficult for her to operate. So not being familiar with them I thought I would ask you folks if there is any tuning that can be done to lessen the pressure on the slide and still maintain reliability.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    If I ever become too frail to rack the slide in the normal fashion, I will go to one-handed racks.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Could it be her technique of operating the slide? My wife had trouble because she was trying to do it all with her fingers and hands....because she said that's how it looked like I did it.

As a Glock fan, I know people that have experimented with different guide rods and springs on competition guns. I'm sure there are combinations you could try but I'm not sure I'd want to try it on a SD pistol. Additionally, the G36 seems to have more issues in general than the other "standard" Glocks. You could probably research a lot of information over on the Glock Talk forums.
    Lanzelot likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Re: Slide questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If I ever become too frail to rack the slide in the normal fashion, I will go to one-handed racks.
    "one-handed" racks?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Could it be her technique of operating the slide? My wife had trouble because she was trying to do it all with her fingers and hands....because she said that's how it looked like I did it.

As a Glock fan, I know people that have experimented with different guide rods and springs on competition guns. I'm sure there are combinations you could try but I'm not sure I'd want to try it on a SD pistol. Additionally, the G36 seems to have more issues in general than the other "standard" Glocks. You could probably research a lot of information over on the Glock Talk forums.
    That's might be the case. We will have to do some more practice. She has had 90 percent of her shooting experience with revolvers. The only auto she's used much is my 1911 and has some trouble with it but not like she did with the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzelot View Post
    My 65 year old mom
    If she does not have the strength now it will not get better as she gets older. As one gets older a lot can happen such as arthritis in the fingers or hands. My wife is a excellent shot but she does not have the physical strength in her hands to grip the slide and pull it back due to arthritis in her fingers. While I can do it for her during target practice I won't be able to do it in a emergency. Our only solution was a revolver for her.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    If she does not have the strength now it will not get better as she gets older. As one gets older a lot can happen such as arthritis in the fingers or hands. My wife is a excellent shot but she does not have the physical strength in her hands to grip the slide and pull it back due to arthritis in her fingers. While I can do it for her during target practice I won't be able to do it in a emergency. Our only solution was a revolver for her.
    That's what she and I discussed. I'm afraid we are stuck looking at revolvers. She tried the Ruger LCR but hated it and the only other CC they had was the Smith 640.what else should we look at?

VIP Member
    "one-handed" racks?

Do a search of one-handed slide racks. There are lots of videos on the subject.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

One handed slide racks are a possibility, but IMO are more of a tactical technique than a beginning technique. And would your mom practice it regularly? from the info given it sounds like a revolver is the way to go. As long as she is shooting combat accuracy at distance then she should not have any problems. One thing I would look at also, is the Beretta tomcat .32 acp. Its small, lightweight, DA/SA and does not require racking of the the slide to load. Tip up the barrel drop in a round and latch it shut and you are good to go. DA first pull, SA thereafter.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Turn 90 degrees to the target with your weak side shoulder facing down range. With your strong hand, point the pistol down range with the pistol in front of your midline, a few inches in front of your torso.

Place your weak side hand on top of the slide at the rear serrations. A natural grip should leave both thumbs on same side of the pistol (the side facing you). Your index and middle fingers should be on the opposite side of the slide, making a secure grip.

Keep your elbows up, forearms nearly parallel to the ground. Cycle the slide by pushing both hands past each other. This uses large chest muscles and minimizes hand and forearm muscles.

Hope this is easier to follow than your VCR instructions.
    (Geez, did I just date myself? O.k. DVR instructions)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    One handed slide racks are a possibility, but IMO are more of a tactical technique than a beginning technique. And would your mom practice it regularly? from the info given it sounds like a revolver is the way to go. As long as she is shooting combat accuracy at distance then she should not have any problems. One thing I would look at also, is the Beretta tomcat .32 acp. Its small, lightweight, DA/SA and does not require racking of the the slide to load. Tip up the barrel drop in a round and latch it shut and you are good to go. DA first pull, SA thereafter.
    For a personal defense edc, it is all tactical. If my wife's life is on the line, do I want her depending on a Glock, or a Tomcat?
    Ayn Rand

Slide questions

The only auto she's used much is my 1911 and has some trouble with it but not like she did with the Glock.
    The slide on the Glock 36 actually is particularly hard to rack (at least mine is!). Much more so than my 17 or 21. You might look into some other alternatives in compact semiautos from Smith, Ruger, or Kahr to see if they are easier for her.

If you do decide to go with a revolver instead, you might consider the S&W Model 60 or Ruger SP101. They are both similar in size to the 640 she tried, but with steel instead of alloy frames. The heavier weight probably disqualifies them for pocket carry but makes them much easier to shoot, especially with hotter .38 +P or .357 ammo.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

That's my concern too Mike. I can load the gun for her and the slide will lock open for a reload but if there is a FTF or ETF she is out of luck in a defensive situation. Looks like revolvers it is then. I kind of figured that was the case but thought I'd check with you more knowledgeable folks.

Last edited by Lanzelot; February 23rd, 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Check out "corneredcat.com" she speaks to ladies and racking slides.

Other than for range time, why does she need to rack the slide?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

How practical is one-handed racking technique for a 65 year old woman in an emergency?
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links