Kahr CW45 or P45

This is a discussion on Kahr CW45 or P45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm currently thinking about getting a Kahr CW45 or P45. The only concern I have is the recoil on such a light weight 45. I ...

Thread: Kahr CW45 or P45

Kahr CW45 or P45

I'm currently thinking about getting a Kahr CW45 or P45. The only concern I have is the recoil on such a light weight 45. I am not recoil sensitive and have no problem shooting our 44mags with reloads.

Who has these pistols and what are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mosaab View Post
    I'm currently thinking about getting a Kahr CW45 or P45. The only concern I have is the recoil on such a light weight 45. I am not recoil sensitive and have no problem shooting our 44mags with reloads.

I have a CW45, and I do not find the recoil bad at all. If you're shooting an average-sized .44 Mag with no problem, the CW45 will feel pretty tame.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    I carry a CW45, I have no problems shooting it, recoil is very manageable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I have both P45 and TP45, but I have to say, I can't shoot either very well due to the recoil. My grip breaks, especially using +P ammo, and my shooting slowed way down. Perhaps if I were younger it wouldn't be a problem... otherwise the guns are a great size and weight for carrying. If you can handle .44mag, then you'll probably be OK.

You should be fine with the recoil. See if you can rent those guns and try them out.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    If a little larger kahr would do the TP series has all the upgrades of the P but for some odd reason sells for a price between the CW and the P but with a 4" barrel and longer grip. Personaly I also have a cw series. Don't see spending what kahr wants for the P series.

Kahr CW45 or P45

They are both great guns and the recoil is not bad at all. I have shot much worse. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them.

I have no problem with the CW 45 recoil. It actually isn't as bad as the airweight J frame with standard .38 spl loads.

I think Kahr did well with the CW 9/45 in managing the recoil. I haven't shot the CW 40, but hear that it is a bit snappy.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Although I have a CW9, the guys on one of the Kahr forums state that the CW45 is reasonable with respect to recoil. There was a thread that showed barrel lift of the CW45 in comparison to other calibers and the CW45 appeared to have less kick overall of the CW40.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I have not shot the Kahr CW45 but have shot the PM40. Was impressed with its accuracy and the recoil was not that bad, just snappy. The .45 would probably be a little less snappy than the .40 S&W.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mosaab View Post

Recoil was no issue with my cw45 it was the fact that it would not function properly with any 45acp round. Instead mine had to be forcibly ejected by a gunsmith when it locked up my gun on the range. He then told me about the finicky nature of the Kahr 45 acp's.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I have a P45-easy to handle recoil. Can't limp rist or you will get jams. Just installed a Crimson Trace. The accuracy is great!

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    Recoil was no issue with my cw45 it was the fact that it would not function properly with any 45acp round. Instead mine had to be forcibly ejected by a gunsmith when it locked up my gun on the range. He then told me about the finicky nature of the Kahr 45 acp's.
    Not just the 45 ACP Kahr's. I have a friend with a PM40 that has been to Kahr 3 different times because of FTF's. This has been experienced by several different experienced shooters and the pistol has had well over 250 rounds down the tube.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Links