U.S. Revolver Company .32 five shot revolver

This is a discussion on U.S. Revolver Company .32 five shot revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 0218131142-00.jpg 0218131148-00.jpg Greetings all, A friend of mine recently acquired This pocket gun. From what I've read so far it's fairly old. Supposedly it' uses ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sixgun

Thread: U.S. Revolver Company .32 five shot revolver

U.S. Revolver Company .32 five shot revolver

0218131142-00.jpg0218131148-00.jpg

Greetings all,

A friend of mine recently acquired This pocket gun. From what I've read so far it's fairly old. Supposedly it' uses a S&W .32 short round. I'm wondering if that is correct and if modern ammo may damage the gun. Does anyone know of these revolvers, and what grain/load ammo is safe to shoot? Or should it just be a conversation piece?

Tom
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

2. Remove Ads

I am almost positive "U.S. Revolver Co" was a marketing brand of Iver Johnson..... I also found this ... if it is accurate you have a hammerless nickel small frame .32 cal. Production stopped in 1935. Take it to a competent gunsmith and have it inspected inside and out. It should be safe to fire with proper ammo as long as it is mechanically sound. Due to the age, I would not fire it until it is inspected, but thats just me.

From a wiki post.....
    there were two serial number series for the small frame top break hammer and two for the hammerless. the main serial number location is on the left side of the grip frame under the grip panel, the mottom of the trigger guard is a secondary location and any information given using just that number may be incorrect. in 1917 a new serial number series was started for the small frame 32 one for the hammer and one for the hammerless models. this new series included a letter code prefix found only on the left side of the grip. since production on the u.s. revolver ended in 1935 those serial numbers with letter code never reached as high as the number you gave. therefore i will assume no letter code present on the left side of the gripe frame.

u.s. revolver co. automatic (top beak) serial number 78290 hammer or hammerless model manufactured in 1915.

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMER------------------------1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; This is a Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works to be sold through the wholesale trade. It was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog, although it was listed in some European catalogs as original Iver Johnson products. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action and relies on a safety notch on the hammer. Hard rubber grip panels with U S at the top, large oversize two piece hard rubber grips were optional. Two frame sizes and three calibers were offered. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: large frame 38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity Weight: small frame .22 rimfire 12 ounces, small frame .32 centerfire 12 ½ ounces, large frame .38 centerfire 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inches 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS-----------------1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works for the wholesale trade. This revolver does not have Hammer the Hammer action, but it does have a rebounding hammer that the hammer version does not. Blue or nickel finishes were offered. Offered in two frame sizes and two calibers only. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel 12 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches: Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. . Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105

since the U.S. Revolver Co. handguns were a second line product manufactured by iver johnson's arms & cycle works each one should be accessed by a qualified person as to its ability to fire modern ammo.
    bill
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Thanks for the info Taurahe!
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

no problem :)
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Do Have it checked out. From the pics it looks like its in pretty good shape though.
    Taurahe likes this.

I've got a couple of .32s of that style and vintage. I put 2 or 3 rounds through each after looking them over for any signs or weakness or corrosion. What I noticed was that both guns spit lead sideways, one worse than the other, due to mis-timing. I think this is pretty common with these old, "popularly priced" revolvers.

As long as you're using the correct ammo, there's probably no harm in launching a few rounds, but make sure all around have their eyepro on and bystanders should be to the rear of the shooter until you know the gun works OK.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Good advice from smitty,
    I'm bumping in hopes that bmcgilvray or wmhawth get sight of this for their possible input.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links