Range report: Sigs!...P239, P229R, P220

This is a discussion on Range report: Sigs!...P239, P229R, P220 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I finally got the chance to get out and shoot my new (used) P239 today, to see if it would make a worthy candidate ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JT353

Thread: Range report: Sigs!...P239, P229R, P220

Well I finally got the chance to get out and shoot my new (used) P239 today, to see if it would make a worthy candidate for a new carry gun. While I was out, I figured I would put a few more rounds through the P229R since it is still pretty new, and I broke out the old W.German P220 so it wouldn't feel like a stepchild being left home alone. Besides, I needed to shoot that gun anyway as it's been quite a while since it has had any range time.

First up, the P239...

Ammo used was 100 rounds of Remington UMC 40 S&W 180 grn. FMJ-FP with some Remington Golden Sabres mixed in randomly to check for function. Starting at 10 yards and then out to 15 yards.

The gun shot perfectly except for a couple times (twice) where I had a couple failures to lock back after the last round. I guess I still have a problem remembering to keep my thumb off the slide lock and it only happened those two times, but the main thing is...it never malfunctioned. No failures to feed, extract, etc. I also mixed in several hollow points to see if it was going to sense any kind of change in diet but it blew through those as well, so...so far so good. Now I just need my holster to come in. I'll shoot it a couple more times before it strap in my waistband. The only thing I didn't care for but really isn't an issue, since this will be a carry gun and not a range gun...is the squared off blocky feel of the front strap. After I finished shooting it, I knew right away that I didn't like that.

Here's my target. I'm an average shooter at best but Sig-o-holics can all attest to the accuracy of Sig Sauer pistols.

Next...the P229R...

Ammo used was 100 rounds of PMC 165 grain FMJ-FP and the same mixture of Golden Sabres.

First let me say...that this is only the second time I have shot this gun, and I am quickly developing a bit of a crush... . LOL!
    This gun feels so good in my hand that it's almost hard to put it down after I get a good grip on it. We all know that the P229 is kind of thick and definitely a robust build, but the ergonomics are so spot on that it just feels...right!

Loaded up the mags, send it out to 10 yards and started blasting! The gun never skipped a beat. The first time I shot it, I had one failure to return to battery and two instances of failure to lock back after the last round...however today, the gun was flawless! Absolutely no complaints at all...except for the fact that I ran out of ammo. Oh well, it happens.

Target... Center of mass was 10 yards. The upper three groups were at 15 yards.

Last but certainly not least...my old dog...the P220.

I have to admit something here. I haven't shot this gun in years. I know...I know... I should be ashamed.

I bought this gun back in 1996 and I remember it being one of the most reliable and accurate handguns that I had ever shot at that time. That's the only reason I never sold it or traded it off; it was one of those situations where I knew if I did I would seriously regret it. Back then was when I also bought my RL550B and was just getting into reloading, so the gun has seen its fair share of target time, it's just been a long time.

Ammo used was 50 rounds of Estate 230 grain FMJ and 50 rounds of PMC 185 grain JHP.

Run the target out to 10 yards and the first two 7 round magazines produced this...

This old .45 punched this group right off the bat and I was really starting to feel bad. I have been neglecting this gun by not feeding a steady diet...but that will change!! I promise.
    Naturally, there were no malfunctions of any kind. This gun has never malfunctioned once in the entire time I have had it. It ate the hollow points just as easily as the FMJ and wanted more. This gun used to eat my newbie reloads years ago and never balked once, so needless to say, I have the utmost confidence in this gun and if there was any gun in my entire collection that I trust the most...it's this P220. I have been thinking about buying a P226 and probably will, but now I'm thinking of getting one of the newer P220 carry models as well. I was tickled to death after shooting this gun again. Anyway...

Here's the remainder of the target. Center of mass was at 10 yards...Upper two groups at 15 yards.

I have had better days at the range as far as my accuracy, but one thing is for certain...I can't blame the guns and had a load of fun in the process!! Till next time...
    JWS3745 likes this.

Nice!

Reminds me that I need to take my '93 vintage P220 out for a spin soon!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Nice guns and nice shooting. There is just something about a Sig I like. I really really need to get one someday.

Same 3 guns

By coincidence I have the same 3 Sigs you used in your session, and I have the same high opinion of them that you have. They are among my favorite guns to shoot at the range, and I have carried my P239 as well, since it is the most compact of the three.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

[Car salesman voice]You know, you should stick with the newer P239 and P229R....and get rid of that old piece of junk 220. if you want, I'll take it off your hands so you can carry and shoot the P239 & 229. I mean, come on! The P220 is an antique! You don't want to carry such an old piece of hardware...all the kids these days are going for the lighter, cooler guns....not grandpa s old .45....heck, it only holds 8 rounds! How crazy is that!?[/Car salesman voice]

Great groups....I'm looking forward to getting my P220.....I, too, have a 239, 229, and a 226 all in .40S&W. my 229 is my EDC when home and 239 my EDC in the summer. 226 I carry part time.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member
    Very nice! Got to shoot a sig for the first time yesterday (thank you Tangle!), had a fantastic trigger. There might be somethin to those sigs that I've been hearing about for so long.

. . . . I see a SIG somewhere in my not too distant future.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Thanks guys!

That is a Saturday well spent.

dear JT353: like you and pogo2, i have the same three model Sigs, although my 239 is a 9mm, and my two 229's usually have their .357SIG barrels in them. my 220 is an Elite version with what i think is a cool looking beavertail.

It appears I'm in good company with this particular combination of Sig weaponry. Now all I need is the 9mm P226 Elite that I have been drooling over.

One of these days...it will be mine.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I love the P series Sigs. Looks like you had a day well spent!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

After a little further thought, I decided the front strap on the P239 just wasn't going to work for me...so I opted for one for the Hogue grips, and it feels a LOT better. Much better actually.

Links