Appendix IWB 1911 Carry

Appendix IWB 1911 Carry

This is a discussion on Appendix IWB 1911 Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone! New member here, first post. I carry a Kimber CDP II Ultra and have been carrying IWB in a Crossbreed holster on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Appendix IWB 1911 Carry

Appendix IWB 1911 Carry

Hello everyone! New member here, first post. I carry a Kimber CDP II Ultra and have been carrying IWB in a Crossbreed holster on my hip for the last couple of years. I have recently switched over to appendix IWB and I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT! I cannot believe I didn't try this sooner.

HOWEVER, I cannot get over the fact that I have lead pointed right at my junk and fem artery. Anyone else have this problem while carrying AIWB?? With my Crossbreed holster on my hip I would always carry condition 1. While trying to get over the fact my muzzle is covering my junk, I'm in condition 3. Anyone ever had this concern?

I love my 1911's and know they are tried and true however has anyone heard of a story of an accidental discharge with the thumb safety on and hand off the beavertail? Thanks again!!!!

Appendix carry 1911

I like appendix carry and have used it for a small Kahr 9mm and a S&W airweight .38 snubby. I have never tried it for a 1911, although I have a 3 inch Colt Defender. I will admit that I would have similar concerns to yours about a cocked and locked .45 pointed at my front side. Although you do have the thumb safety and the grip safety to protect you, the risk might come during reholstering when your hand is depressing the grip safety and the thumb safety might slip off or mistakenly be left off. I would just be real careful if I were you.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I carry appendix with a Clip Draw, no problem. 1911s have multiple safeties.

1911's are one of the few pistols I don't carry AIWB. Not because of safety concerns, but due to the modern beaver tail grip safety; I seem to constantly jab myself with it. I would suggest that if you are carrying condition 3 in the AIWB position, you would be much better served carrying condition 1 somewhere where you feel more confident.
    ScottM likes this.

I carry AIWB often. If I thought there was the slightest chance that a gun was going to go off as I was reholstering it or at any point not only would I not carry it AIWB I wouldnt carry it at all.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I use a comp-tac minotaur nuetral for appendix carry with a stricker fired pistol and never give it a thought. Your pistol is not going to fire itself. You can't touch the trigger in the holster ether. Sooooo, whats the issue. Head games only??

Of course EVERYONE has an opinion......right? I've done considerable reading about aiwb carrying and many "experts" believe a pistol with a manual safety such as a 1911 or a double action/single action pistol such as a Sig Sauer or CZ are the safest to carry aiwb. The one type of firearm I see negative comments about carrying aiwb is a striker fired pistol like Glocks. I guess that rationale is that with a single action pistol there are multiple safeties (grip and manual thumb) which require activiation, in addition to depressing the trigger in order for the firearm to discharge. With the da/sa pistol, you have the very long and stiff double action pull first before you get to the lighter single action trigger. In addition, with the 1911 and Sig/type firearms you have a trigger which you can ride as you holster helping to ensure that the pistol does not go bang. With striker fire pistols, there is no hammer to ride with the thumb and no manual safeties. I do carry da/sa Sig P220 aiwb.....

I plan on carrying my Kimber Ultra AIWB and haven't given it a thought.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    The only guns I feel comfortable carrying AIWB are my H&K P7, a hammerless revolver, or a C3 Glock.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I carry appendix IWB in a Kydex clip-on Fist holster.
    Rigid holster + NY trigger, been using this method for years.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Maybe that's why some guns have a "half-cock"notch!
    Warmon, JT353 and Aceoky like this.

mlittle And then you can watch the video of the dumby drawing his 1911 and does everthing wrong and shoots his leg just after clearing his holster!!
    Learn good handgun handleing skills , keep your nose picker away from the trigger till your ready to shoot something, use a quailty handgun and quality holster and it does not matter what you carry.

So just a little update, I finally manned up and grew a pair and I have been carrying AIWB cocked and locked. I'll admit, the first couple of days did make me a little skittish but just being VERY deliberate with holstering and double checking safeties are in check and my nerves finally calmed...

I agree, carrying the 1911 the way its designed for me is always having mechanical situational awareness, or fully understanding the mechanics of this weapon, I simply cannot see any way for it to fire on it own with its double safety. I don't think it would fire if dropped on concrete from 5ft but I could be wrong, Id prolly cry if that happened, I also carry a 4in CDPII, My nerves calmed as well.

And then the guys shoots his leg with his super safe 1911.
    video of man shooting his leg with 1911 - Bing Videos

Learn to be safe with most any handgun and stupid things will not happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links