Glock Gen 4 ?

This is a discussion on Glock Gen 4 ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at different compact and sub compact guns and I've narrowed the field down to three. The S&W M&P, Springfield XD, and Glock. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Glock Gen 4 ?

Glock Gen 4 ?

I've been looking at different compact and sub compact guns and I've narrowed the field down to three. The S&W M&P, Springfield XD, and Glock. I'm looking at 40 and 45 CAL. The question I have is what exactly is the difference between the early models of Glock and the GEN 4? Since I have never been much of a Glock fan I really know nothing about the gun so I really have nothing to compare it to. Looking at their web site explains very little. So far the Glock is looking more and more like a gun I would like due to the combat ready system, (sans safeties). But I'm not counting out any of them until I've at least held each in my hand and hopefully shoot them all. However in todays panic stricken market this is quite the chore! Thanks to all for the help

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    The texture on the grip/finger grooves is different on the Gen 4, some models have changeable backstraps, the trigger reach was shortened by 2mm(w/out the changeable straps added), magazine release can be switched for left or right hand shooters, and depending on the Glock model, the guide rod/spring is different. There may be some other changes and/or minor changes that I'm forgetting. I have a Gen 4 Glock 17 and it is a sweet shooting pistol.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

other than the replaceable back straps, Glock added dual recoil springs to the compact (G19/23/32) and full size (G17/22/31). The subcompacts (G26/27/33) have had the
    dual recoil springs since inception in 1995. Grip textures and slide finishes are different from the Gen 3's too.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Don't all Gen 4's also come with 3 mags instead of two? I know the 26 does, which means the 27 in .40 prolly does too. That's worth mentioning.

I think 3 mags are standard with the Gen 4. That accounts some for the price difference with the Gen 3's.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

I have three Gen 4s, a 19, a 22, and a 31. 3 mags, improved (in my opinion) grip texture, dual recoil spring assembly, and an oversized mag release, along with the backstraps, are the notable changes. Oh yeah, ambidextrous capability.

I like 'em. A lot.

I've got a Gen 4 G23 and its amazing!! Blast and blast and blast away with any kinda ammo you find laying around and it feeds 100% every time. Can't go wrong with the Glock!

OP, being that you are in CA (as am I) Gen 4 GLOCKS are currently not on The Roster of Safe Handguns for sale and never will be. Only way to get one in CA is via PPT (Private Party Transfer) or through the Single Shot Exemption: Single Shot Exemption Explanation/Database Thread - Calguns.net

If you're not a member already, I highly recommend joining http://www.calguns.net as they can answer many questions you may have with being a gun owner in CA.

Having said all that...I'm on a list for a G30 Gen 4 from one of my LGS' but I'm also on the lookout for a G30 SF :)

VIP Member
    Roster of safe handguns... What will they have next, large soda bans?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I have s G27gen4 that I got lightly used, I wrote about that in another thread so I won't rehash that all here, since getting used to it over the last month or so it has taken a significant place in my EDC rotation. My rotation now is about 45% each for my G27 and M&P9c and 10% for my PF9. The Gen4s do come with 3 mags, but as was pointed out they do cost more. Comparing the Gen3 and Gen4, I personally like the Gen4 texture better, and the adjustable back strap is a nice feature and basically de riguer on polymer frame guns these days. I wasn't in the market for a Glock at the time that I bought mine, but if I were seriously shopping for one I would suggest trying both the Gen3 and Gen4 in the same model. I like rougher textures on guns, but that's just my preference. On and off I toy with the idea of getting a G21 RTF2 (maybe after the panic), so that kind of gives you an idea of what I prefer.

You really can't go wrong with any Glock, I'm no Glock fanatic but it really is true.

Thank you all for the responses. I have been looking at the G23, 27 30 and 36, slim frames as well. I am not sure at this point if I want to abandon the 40 for the 45. I like shooting my sons 1911, but my 40 is nice as well. Thanks for al the insight about the gen 4 models.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebass View Post
    OP, being that you are in CA (as am I) Gen 4 GLOCKS are currently not on The Roster of Safe Handguns for sale and never will be. Only way to get one in CA is via PPT (Private Party Transfer) or through the Single Shot Exemption: Single Shot Exemption Explanation/Database Thread - Calguns.net

If you're not a member already, I highly recommend joining Calguns.net as they can answer many questions you may have with being a gun owner in CA.

Having said all that...I'm on a list for a G30 Gen 4 from one of my LGS' but I'm also on the lookout for a G30 SF :)
    This is dis-heartening, I know about the "list" just have not ben able to find a good place to research it. What makes the least amount of sense is the gen 4 has probably just not drop tested or something lame like that. I stopped at a LGS recently and asked about a Springfield XDm and they told me the only reason it was not on the lit" was it had not been "drop tested". Thanks for the link to the calguns web site that will be helpful. I'll join soon!

I don't know much about the Gen 4 Glock 19's except that I REALLY want one! Especially since James Yeager told me my .40 sucks.
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

Glock Gen 4 ?

I was not a big fan of Glock before. But then I held a gen 4 and really liked it. I immediately bought a G23 and fell in love. Then I went back and found a G19. Both are Gen 4 and great!

OK....What is the "issue" that seems to surround the 4th Gen Glock 19 as opposed to the 3rd Gen gun? I've heard it alluded to plenty of times, but no post has been specific....Help me put this issue to bed. Thanks....Sandpiper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    OK....What is the "issue" that seems to surround the 4th Gen Glock 19 as opposed to the 3rd Gen gun? I've heard it alluded to plenty of times, but no post has been specific....Help me put this issue to bed. Thanks....Sandpiper
    Some late Gen 3s and early Gen 4s had some erratic ejections. The "problem", while not totally without merit, has been totally blown out of proportion. New 19's are fine. Most of the older G4 19s are fine. There's no issue.

<---------- tucking in the covers and turning out the light.

There. It's put to bed. Buy a 19, shoot it & be happy.
    Sandpiper and OD* like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links