Any word on S&W upgrading the M&P compact's trigger

This is a discussion on Any word on S&W upgrading the M&P compact's trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In searching older threads, I've read that S&W was planning to upgrade the M&P compacts with the Shield's trigger. I've seen quite a few reviews ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By DandLfam
  • 1 Post By sioux565
  • 1 Post By GH
  • 1 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By JT353
  • 1 Post By steffen
  • 1 Post By JT353
  • 1 Post By MJB_17

Thread: Any word on S&W upgrading the M&P compact's trigger

In searching older threads, I've read that S&W was planning to upgrade the M&P compacts with the Shield's trigger. I've seen quite a few reviews praising the Shield's trigger, that it is more crisp and has a more audible reset than other M&P's.

I like the looks and feel of the M&P9c, though I haven't had the opportunity to fire any? Has any such trigger upgrading taken place, or is this simply rumor? Or do you think the M&P triggers are fine as they are?

Thanks.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

I know I'd be interested in such an upgrade.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Being a person that owns several M&P 9c's.. I'm a fan of the trigger. With around 500 rounds down range the trigger gets better in time. If I could find a Shield for a reasonable price, MSRP or close, I'd have a few of those too. But to answer your question, I think they are better than fine.
    Broadus and steffen like this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    Being a person that owns several M&P 9c's.. I'm a fan of the trigger. With around 500 rounds down range the trigger gets better in time. If I could find a Shield for a reasonable price, MSRP or close, I'd have a few of those too. But to answer your question, I think they are better than fine.
    Thanks. I appreciate first-hand knowledge.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

For someone to say how "good" or how "bad" a trigger is on a gun is purely opinion. For instance, I really like the trigger on my Ruger LCP, while there are many who hate it.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but you should go an handle one in person and judge the trigger yourself.
    Broadus likes this.

GH
    It seems to me that I've heard S&W has already made trigger improvements on the M&P line & if you buy a new one it'll be there. My son was recently issued a new M&P 40 by the Milwaukee Police Dept. & he loves the trigger. He has a couple of my old Glocks, G21 & G23, guns known for good triggers & thought the M&P trigger was better right out of the box. After putting about 5000 rounds through it at the Academy it even improved.

His comments -
    It has a good reset.
    It has a good trigger travel.
    It's crisp & breaks cleanly.

These seem to be the major gripes many M&P owners had.
    Broadus likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    For someone to say how "good" or how "bad" a trigger is on a gun is purely opinion. For instance, I really like the trigger on my Ruger LCP, while there are many who hate it.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but you should go an handle one in person and judge the trigger yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    It seems to me that I've heard S&W has already made trigger improvements on the M&P line & if you buy a new one it'll be there. My son was recently issued a new M&P 40 by the Milwaukee Police Dept. & he loves the trigger. He has a couple of my old Glocks, G21 & G23, guns known for good triggers & thought the M&P trigger was better right out of the box. After putting about 5000 rounds through it at the Academy it even improved.

His comments -
    It has a good reset.
    It has a good trigger travel.
    It's crisp & breaks cleanly.

These seem to be the major gripes many M&P owners had.
    That's great to hear, especially your son's report, Glenn. Thanks for sharing that.

My M&P triggers have gotten better with use. I really didn't find there was much difference between the Shield trigger and my other M&P's, but I'm not a trigger snob, so
    I usually am able to hit the target with whatever I have in my hands.

....now the APEX trigger...that is to die for...but alas, expensive.
    Broadus likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    My M&P triggers have gotten better with use. I really didn't find there was much difference between the Shield trigger and my other M&P's, but I'm not a trigger snob, so
    I usually am able to hit the target with whatever I have in my hands.

....now the APEX trigger...that is to die for...but alas, expensive.
    I'm not so much a "trigger snob" but am a real money snob. I don't pay extra to make something right that should have been right. Of course, a trigger's being "right" or "not right" is a subjective thing. I suspect the M&P's trigger is fine, but I was just trying to get some hands-on responses. Hopefully, I'll get to try one myself soon.

I looked at an M&P9c yesterday. The trigger felt just like my Shields trigger with a crisp break and and decent reset. If I'd been in the market for another compact 9mm...I would've bought it. It was a nice improvement from the last time I checked out an M&P.
    Broadus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    Although I only own one, I'll second the quoted statement. I noticed improvement after around 200 rounds and a good cleaning.
    Broadus likes this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by JT353 View Post
    I looked at an M&P9c yesterday. The trigger felt just like my Shields trigger with a crisp break and and decent reset. If I'd been in the market for another compact 9mm...I would've bought it. It was a nice improvement from the last time I checked out an M&P.
    I'm quoting myself because between the time I posted the above and now...I caved, and went and bought that M&P9c (no thumb safety).

Oh well...I really like my Shield and figured I better jump on it while I have the chance since polymer framed carry guns are few and far between in these parts...and besides, I don't like Glocks or XD's. Now I have to buy ANOTHER holster.
    Broadus likes this.

My 9c was produced in the second half of 2012 and I am almost certain it has the same trigger as the Shield. I have shot the 9mm Shield and the trigger in my 9c has the same crisp break and positive 'click' reset. It is also very different than the trigger in my 2010 production M&P40. I can't comment on the Apex trigger setup as I have never used it, but I read very good things about it.
    Broadus likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I thought thats what APEX was for. Today most triggers are not great to most people. Pay attention, even the m&p line has both a double action stricker trigger and a short reset stricker trigger. They also need to make the laywers happy with ther triggers.

Links