New comfortable carry gun: Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on New comfortable carry gun: Kahr CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been doing my best to carry my Glock 36 at work while I move a lot. I have to bend, squat, lift, twist, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New comfortable carry gun: Kahr CW9

I have been doing my best to carry my Glock 36 at work while I move a lot. I have to bend, squat, lift, twist, etc. The G36 is just a tad too bulky for my body size and the tasks I do. I was asked by a friend recently to stipple the grip on her Kahr CW9. While I had it in my possession, it began to grow on me. It felt good in my hands, it was skinny, and it was very comfortable AIWB, which is my preferred carry at work. And so, I found one a few days ago. It is the perfect fit for me! I stippled the grip and gave it a smooth action job and have carried it daily ever since. It shoots great and carries great! I am so glad I found this gun. I would recommend this gun to anyone looking for a thin, accurate, and easy to carry gun that conceals great.

I like the grip texturing that you did there. Good work... What type of soldering iron, tips, etc... Did you use?

I use a wood burning tool. I start with the wide flat tip to smooth down the checkering. Then sand down smooth and rounded. Then switch to the fine point tip to micro stipple. I finish with an extra fine sand paper to take off the sharpness of the stipple so it won't snag clothing. For the smooth action job, I simply polished all the internals with a dremel and felt attachment.

I understand this may not be what others like in a pistol, but its perfect me.

You won't be disappointed with the CW. The wife carries the CW9, and I carry the CW45 in the summer.

Remora holsters work well with these light weight guns.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    adam how did you smooth a allready smooth trigger. A wolff RP tricker spring helps drop a 1lb pull weight . hehe
    Yes they make a fine light thin CC pistol. They can be come habit forming. I started with one , now several years later I have 3. cm9, cw9 and tp40, I did the inner tube grips sleeve on mine. They shoot real well with +P loads too.

For a working persons holster I don't think much of remora. Old faithfull holster kits low cost and does all thats needed for 39 bucks, just bolt it together.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I carry a PM9 primarily in a Remora holster and I agree, it is a great carry gun!

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    adam how did you smooth a allready smooth trigger. A wolff RP tricker spring helps drop a 1lb pull weight . hehe
    Yes they make a fine light thin CC pistol. They can be come habit forming. I started with one , now several years later I have 3. cm9, cw9 and tp40, I did the inner tube grips sleeve on mine. They shoot real well with +P loads too.

For a working persons holster I don't think much of remora. Old faithfull holster kits low cost and does all thats needed for 39 bucks, just bolt it together.
    curious how you like the TP40. My local GS has a TP9 that has been in the case foreeeeevvvveeer. I like my CW9 a bunch and the TP seems like a CW9 on steroids, so
    I know I'd like it...but it ain't cheap.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I agree the trigger is the best DAO on the market. I just have a habit of polishing the sear and transfer bar for added efficiency.

As for a holster, I believe I am going to go with a PJ Holster tuckable with a J-hook. I have tried an Old Faithful and just don't like the big hybrid holsters that much. Remora holsters are awesome, but not good enough for what I do at work.

Good choice....I go back and forth, depends on the day, CW9 or G19....Kahr is sweet!

IMGP6526.jpg
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    curious how you like the TP40. My local GS has a TP9 that has been in the case foreeeeevvvveeer. I like my CW9 a bunch and the TP seems like a CW9 on steroids, so
    I know I'd like it...but it ain't cheap.
    My TP9, (new style), has become my favorite Kahr. I've bought eight of them, all middle ot large frame models. The TP seems to be the easiest and softest to shoot. I've had it for about three years now.

I use a grip sleeve on all my polymer Kahrs. I think they add to the grip.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Zonker I am more than suprised at how easy the TP40 shoots and is a full 8 shot grip model. I had a g27 that I hated it and our house gun is a sw40ve. This TP40 is a softer shooter than the sw and I think smoother/ easier to shoot than my cw9. I bought the 40 do to the fact that I have 1200 rounds of fmj and hp allready for a house gun. I know , a bit much. It was a good deal at the time.

My local general/dealer sells everthing at a discount price. 10% over his cost . This pistol was in stock for almost a year at Bangers wholsale. I paided 543.18 + tax and is a FS**** serial number. Don't let your dealer run you around on price.

Nice work on the grip. It's looks professional. I'm looking for a CW45. I like how thin the gun is even for a 45.

New Member Array ParrotHead2535's Avatar
    Love mine...just got it a couple weeks ago

The first time I picked up my CW40 I thought "They made this gun just for me". It felt perfect and still does. Slightly bigger than the PF9 I'd been carrying but, not enough to matter. Although I would trade it for a CW45 in a heartbeat.

I have had a CW9 for about 3 years and a CM9 for about a year. Very nice carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links