S&W Revolvers questions re: frame sizes, quality issues

S&W Revolvers questions re: frame sizes, quality issues

This is a discussion on S&W Revolvers questions re: frame sizes, quality issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I don't know anything about Smith & Wesson revolvers. I'd like to know more. Could someone please explain about the frame size hierarchy? Like, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Revolvers questions re: frame sizes, quality issues

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Question S&W Revolvers questions re: frame sizes, quality issues

Hello.
    I don't know anything about Smith & Wesson revolvers. I'd like to know more.

Could someone please explain about the frame size hierarchy?
    Like, what does the 'family' of S&W revolvers consist of? What's available?

Also, I have this nagging feeling that I had heard somewhere that it's almost common knowledge that they are mere shadows of what they used to be. I think it was in John Ross' Unintended Consequences that I read a character comment on a decline in their quality after a certain year... or something. Can anyone elaborate on that?

I appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks.

Small
    k frame is a 22/38 size not sure if 357 is in a k frame

Medium
    l frame is 357 size

Large
    N frame everything from 357 to 45 colt

Super Size

X frame

As of right now only the 460 and 500

but i think a 357 maximum size x frame would rule could get 8 shots or more in that bad boy

Smiths quailty if the best it has been right now i think in the late 70's-mid 90's there was quailty decline and also dont take it a decline of quailty becuse some people complaine about the locks and will bad mouth a lock gun to no end..

To me the lock isnt a big deal

So... is it safe to say that the "quality decline" people talk about does not really have to do with, like, weak metal or parts that don't last and stuff that fails, so much as it has to do with things like magazine disconnects and integral locks? (Do they have integral locks, or are we talking about the agreement to include trigger locks?)

Please, I would enjoy it if others chime in, and we get a wide array of views and information about this. Thanks again.

Um, isn't there a J frame, too? Where does that fit? Is it obsolete or no longer made or something? Or am I just wrong? Heh.

opps forgot J frame it is the pocket size well cal it or super small

no the quailty decline of the 70-90's was soem bad parts but jsut a decline of quailty and quailty control in general ..

All revolvers have internal locks now and few of there autos have mag disconnects but not many

lot of people harbor ill feeling toward smith becuse of the locks but as much as i dislike the locks i see it as a smith had to do something to keep from goign out of bizz

I dont see the big up in arms about ruger doing it now so as i said non issue for me

Senior Moderator
    For the record I like Taurus revolvers, because they are just as good and cheaper than S&W. I am not saying anything bad about S&W, they seemed to have fixed the quality issues they had in the past, and Taurus also had the same issues.

I would not call a K Frame a small footprint. It is a good size and not real easy to conceal in a waistband. Still, the K Frame Model 10 S&W with the 2.5" barrell is a GREAT carry weapon...super easy to control, accurate, reliable (they call them "6 for SURE" for a reason).

The J Frame is a 5 shot and is not super small, just small enough to conceal IWB or OWB. I would be willing to bet that the J Frame S&W and Taurus knock offs are the second most commonly carried CCW pistols after Glocks. Many (most) can be had that chamber .38 or 357 in a pinch.

I tend not to like the Taurus's myself. Everyone I have held, new or used, has had a little too much play in the cylinder, especially when compared to an S&W.

I'm about to sell my S&W 2.5" K Frame and I expect to get a couple hundred for it in 95% condition, so it's the type of firearm you can pick up on a lark and try out with little risk.

I am familiar with cylinder lockup problems with Taurus revolvers. I have one that has to go back to the factory, with a problem that existed when NIB.

My S&W revolvers have been good

I currently have 5 S&W revolvers, representing the J, K, L and N frame sizes. In terms of manufacturing dates, one is 50's, and 4 are early to mid 90's. Mine have all been reliable and accurate, never giving me any problems at all. I would definitely buy more of them, if I saw something that appealed to me at a good price. At this point I would look for a used one, as there are many out there in excellent condition and they last a long time if well cared for.

I don't know much about new S&W revolvers, except that they seem rather expensive and have that internal lock which I don't really need or want. My most recent S&W revolver acquisition was about a year ago, a model 66 snubby in .357 magnum for $300. It is a great shooter and I carry it sometimes.

S&W model 66 in .357 magnum

I'm a fan of S&W. I peruse their site occassionally.
    Here's a link to their revolvers page with link to each of the revolver categories:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...category=15701

Thanks to all of you.

Don't forget they have an X frame now with the S&W 500 series guns. Big old frames.

I have a M38 (J frame)
    a 340pd (J frame)
    an M19 (K frame)
    and a 629 (N frame). I'll get a pic of them together if you like to compare sizes.

s & w revolvers no matter what year made,, are good shooters. i got several that were made in the early 70's and they have never gave me any problems. i got some more that were made in the late 80's and they are all so good. now,,, s & w had some problems with their autos in the 80's and 90's. we called them jam-o-matics and other names that i will not type here. no one would carry them on duty because of the problems, glock won out over of them.

my two cents...

Greetings,

Just to throw my two cents in. I own a few s&w revolvers, from WWII production to the nineties, and all of them are fine shooters. Actually, my best shooting pieces are a model 10-10 M&P, which was made somewhere in the nineties,a model 13-2 M&P, probably made sometime in the late seventies, and a victory model M&P, made sometime in the early forties. Three different eras of S&W, and I have trouble picking one piece as best.

Sincerely,
    Pete Maenner

I currently own 3 S&W revolvers, K-14, K-17 & L 686, and one S&W .22 auto (m-41). All of which are reliable accurate and smooth as glass, after many hours of gunsmithing.
    I have owned many more. Two J frame 4" .22s from the mid 80s that were poorly made, inaccurate and generally pieces of crap, regardless of the work put into them to make them smooth and nice. Several Model 10s .38 spl that were excellent revolvers needing virtually no work to make them nice shooters. Two other M-17s with 8 3/8" barrels that never fitted me, but were accurate, reliable and smooth after several hours of work.
    An m-39 that was reliable but unremarkable.
    My L frame 686 is glass smooth and possible the most accurate handgun I own. (NRA Master, bullseye competitor in my prime)
    Overall, I would avoid the arms made in the 80s and J frame .22s. (nice as they handle and feel) You must also understand that almost any firearm can be made to function reliably and smoothly. It's just a matter of cost, time and patience.
    When it comes to affordable revolvers with quality, the choices are few. Colt's Python is superb, Smith's 686 is superb, a well tuned J frame .38 snub is excellent, the model 19 is quite nice with a bit of work. Taurus revolvers are reliable. All but the most expensive, need work to be smooth and controllable. Simply put, with a revolver, ya pays fer whatcha gits.

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links