Seeking feedback from Ruger SR9c owners

This is a discussion on Seeking feedback from Ruger SR9c owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been investigating good all-round semi-autos, particularly the Glock 19, S&W M&P9c, and the Ruger SR9c. I've held but not fired the Glock and like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Seeking feedback from Ruger SR9c owners

I've been investigating good all-round semi-autos, particularly the Glock 19, S&W M&P9c, and the Ruger SR9c. I've held but not fired the Glock and like its simplicity and its track record. I've not yet handled an M&P9c but have seen a lot of positive reviews.

However, a gun I keep coming back to is the SR9c. Looking at several threads on the forum, it seems that quite a few members have a favorable impression of it, plus Hickok45 reviewed it quite favorably. I'm not real crazy about the two-tone that seems more readily available than the all-black version, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. I've held it, shot a magazine through it, and really like the way it feels and shoots.

Plus . . . I especially like its price, and that is a huge attraction.

What I don't know is how well the SR9c seems to hold up over the long haul. Like I said, the Glock seems to have a great track record and is reputed to be a fairly low-maintenance gun. However, I like the Gen 4 in that model, but it's quite a good deal higher than the Ruger. A friendly LEO offered to buy one at his discount and sell it/transfer to me (phenomenal price), but I didn't feel right about getting one that way and thanked him for his offer but turned it down.

I like getting more bang for the buck, no pun intended, but not at the expense of long-term usage. If you own or have owned an SR9c, what are its pros and cons from your experience.

At any rate, any input is much appreciated. Oh, and I'm a lefty, so the ambidextrous features of the Ruger are attractive, though that's not a deciding factor.

Thanks.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

All three options are good solid guns. A friend of mine carries am SR9c and splits time between TX and AZ so it gets exposed to all the rigors of EDC in hot climates, he loves it. Since you are a lefty, the SR9c is nice since it literally is totally ambidextrous. The M&P mag release can be switched easily to the right side in about 2 minutes and the slide release levers are on both sides. The Glock mag release is also reversible but the slide release is left side only. I like the SR series a lot, you can tell by the feel that it is well made and reasonably priced. The only negative I can say about the SR is that it has a lot of stuff sticking off it (ambi safeties etc), I prefer my carry gun to be as snag proof as possible. That is really a minor issue though and is more a case of personal preference, and if you aren't planning to carry it then it is irrelevant. Another plus with the SR is that they give you one full size and one compact mag, a similar setup is also available in the TALO edition M&P, or you can just buy the parts on your own like I did.

Bottom line: all three guns are solid choices and you can't go wrong with any of them.
    Broadus and CharlesMorri like this.

I have at least 800 rounds thru my SR9c, never had a problem great pistol, carry it a lot, it's small easy to conceal IWB. I would highly recommend it
    Broadus and CharlesMorri like this.
    I love my Country but I fear my Government

test fire the SR9C and the M&P9C. When using the shorter magazines, the difference in felt recoil is very noticeable. I like the SR9C, but it has a good bit of muzzle flip when using the short magazine with finger extension. The M&P9C with a short magazine feels like shooting the SR9C with a full size magazine.

I have the SR40C, but I have around 400 rnds through and I have only had it for a month. It is now my EDC weapon. Zero malfunctions, even with mixed load mags. It has been very dependable. If something happens, Ruger's warranty will cover just about anything short of dire negligence.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    test fire the SR9C and the M&P9C. When using the shorter magazines, the difference in felt recoil is very noticeable. I like the SR9C, but it has a good bit of muzzle flip when using the short magazine with finger extension. The M&P9C with a short magazine feels like shooting the SR9C with a full size magazine.
    Has anyone else noticed the muzzle flip of the SR9c when compared with the M&P9c or perhaps the Glock 19?
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

sr9c for CCW

I love my sr9c for my CCW. It is small enough that I don't notice that I am wearing it. I use an IWB holster, and with my shirt outside of my pants, no one can tell it is there. I am a fan of Ruger (own several of them), and also Kimbers. A lot of people will tell you that a 9mm is too small for CCW, and try to talk you into a larger caliber, such at the 40s&w, or the .45 acp. I have both, and still come back to my sr9c for CCW. Good luck, and the bottom line is to find the firearm that you love, and buy it. Find a holster that fits, and use it. Above all, practice, practice, practice.
    Poppaowl

Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    I've been investigating good all-round semi-autos, particularly the Glock 19, S&W M&P9c, and the Ruger SR9c. I've held but not fired the Glock and like its simplicity and its track record. I've not yet handled an M&P9c but have seen a lot of positive reviews.

However, a gun I keep coming back to is the SR9c. Looking at several threads on the forum, it seems that quite a few members have a favorable impression of it, plus Hickok45 reviewed it quite favorably. I'm not real crazy about the two-tone that seems more readily available than the all-black version, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. I've held it, shot a magazine through it, and really like the way it feels and shoots.

Plus . . . I especially like its price, and that is a huge attraction.

What I don't know is how well the SR9c seems to hold up over the long haul. Like I said, the Glock seems to have a great track record and is reputed to be a fairly low-maintenance gun. However, I like the Gen 4 in that model, but it's quite a good deal higher than the Ruger. A friendly LEO offered to buy one at his discount and sell it/transfer to me (phenomenal price), but I didn't feel right about getting one that way and thanked him for his offer but turned it down.

I like getting more bang for the buck, no pun intended, but not at the expense of long-term usage. If you own or have owned an SR9c, what are its pros and cons from your experience.

At any rate, any input is much appreciated. Oh, and I'm a lefty, so the ambidextrous features of the Ruger are attractive, though that's not a deciding factor.

Thanks.

I guess I have not noticed that. I usually just use my short mags when I practice, so I don't have the problem of overcoming a different feel between the mags. I use my sr9c for ccw.

I have the SR9C and it is my "truck gun" with the extended mag in it. I think it's an excellent shooter in every respect and haven't noticed the above "muzzle flip'' at all. Another gun you might want to consider in your search is the Springfield XDM9 3.8. IMHO, just as good if not better, and probably shoots a little better than the Ruger. SA is coming out with the new XDs9 pretty soon, an that will be a winner as well. Probably be tough to get one any time in the near future, though!

I had one but opted to trade it for a sig p220. It wasn't a bad gun, I like my rugers. I found I did not like the sight plane on it. I had a hard time acquiring a target quickly.

The SR9c is a good shooting weapon. There are 3 things I do not like about the weapon.

1. Mag disconnect...Will not fire unless a mag is in the gun.

2. Loaded chamber indicator. Makes sweeping brass difficult.

3. Mag release. I have medium sized hands, the mag will catch on the outside of my palm. (the 10 round mag) The 17 round mag drops clean. IMO a training issue.

If you can get the Smith M&P9c that is what I would recommend. Now, if you remove the loaded chamber indicator and the mag disconnect you have a pretty dam good fighting pistol.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

This appears to have been resumed from Feb. In case the OP is still looking or evaluating options:

I have an SR9c with 2,200 rounds through it. Zero fails. One of the things I find most attractive about it is the *lack* of muzzle rise. I find it to be remarkably flat shooting and controllable. Low bore + great RSA = win. The M&P line is also known to be soft shooting. I prefer the trigger on the SR9c. The Melonite finish on the M&P is better, but the SR finish hasn't been a problem for me, and I have carried the SR9c a lot, and during hot & humid Oregon Summers.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

I have owned my SR9c since July of 2011. It has been awesome. Over 1,400 rounds through it without an issue.

The recoil is very manageable. I have faster follow up shots with the SR9c than I do with a full size M&P 9mm with a TLR-1 attached to it.

Here's some slow-motion rapid fire from last month:

It's an awesome gun for the money, and for that reason it's kind of hard to find right now.

I have removed the magazine disconnect and polished friction bearing surfaces in the fire control group. The trigger is great and I am very accurate with it. I have mixed feelings about the manual safety, but don't let that be a detractor. I do most of my shooting with the compact magazine because I am able to get a full grip on it and it isn't as much work to unload my defense ammo . I carry with the flat base plate on the compact magazine.

Other great guns to consider are the S&W Shield and M&Pc.

My SR9c has nearly 3000 trouble free rounds through it so far. Great gun, great accuracy but only time will tell how it holds up compared to models that have been out for years prior to its release.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Thanks for the additional input. I'm still looking, and the SR9C is on my short list, as are the Glock 19 or 26 and the S&W M&P 9c and Shield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links