The gun, the ammo or me?

The gun, the ammo or me?

This is a discussion on The gun, the ammo or me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an M&P40c. I've put 5 or 6 hundred rounds through it. The last couple times at the range I was shooting Winchester White ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: The gun, the ammo or me?

The gun, the ammo or me?

I have an M&P40c. I've put 5 or 6 hundred rounds through it. The last couple times at the range I was shooting Winchester White Box from Walmart, 165 grain. Out of a hundred rounds, I'd get 1 or 2 failures to eject. This past weekend I put 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle 180 grains through it and had four failures to eject. The slide comes back about half way and stops. To correct it, I simply pull the slide back all the way to eject the spent round. I thought it was just the white box ammo but now that it happened with American Eagle, I don't know. Any suggestions or comments please! Thank in advance.

How clean is your gun? Are you absolutely certain there's no crud or gunge stuck around or beneath your ejector? I've had a few different pistols that got persnickety when it wasn't utterly clean in that area.

Does the problem only occur with a given magazine? Have you been able to duplicate the problem across magazines?

Do you know if your particular gun likes to run wet, run dry, doesn't care?

It can be hard to diagnose when you're only getting a couple FTE/FTC here and there.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; February 26th, 2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You might be limp wristing, the 40c does have a bit of a snap to it, especially with 165gr rounds. I have some of the same ammo in my supply right now, mainly because it was all I was able to find. I'm not a WWB fan at all, it burns really dirty. Nothing against Winchester, their PDX-1 is a great SD load. American Eagle is solid, but no ammo is perfect either. Also, are you using the compact magazines? If so, the flat bottom or the pinky extension?

Keep an eye on this, take another trip to the range, if the problem continue I'd say to call S&W. Although it sucks to be without your gun, S&W pays the shipping both ways and they tend to turn things around quickly and actually fix the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. I clean the gun after each session but it could be possible that the ejector area is dirty, can't say I pay particular to that area when I clean it. I use the compact magazine, two of them, both with the pinky extensions. I don't know if it's a particular magazine or not, I didn't think to pay attention to that. I always oil the gun per the instructions in the owners manual, never tried it with out oil. I don't think I'm limp wristing it but I suppose it's possible. Is there a way to rule out that out? Thanks again. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I have seen a problem like this caused by the thumbs forward grip with the thumbs being a little high and interfering with the slide. It doesn't take much pressure on the slide to cause it to not cycle properly.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Sounds like your slide is gunked up. Give it a good cleaning and try some graphite lube. I use it on all my pistols, both 9mm and .40, and failures are extremely rare.
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "I don't think I'm limp wristing it but I suppose it's possible. Is there a way to rule out that out? "

The easiest way is to let others (experienced shooters) shoot the gun. If it happens with them, it's the gun. If not, it's you. As for the extractor, I always use a toothbrush to clean that. Sometimes it's surprising what comes out of there after an extended shooting session.
    Jaybm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohnson View Post
    I don't think I'm limp wristing it but I suppose it's possible. Is there a way to rule out that out?
    Ransom Rest. Or, a variety of experienced shooters whom you know don't have such problems. If it all occurs on the gun irrespective of who's shooting it, then it's not likely to be limp wristing. Though, at a rate of ~2-4 errors per 100rds, you're going to be doing a lot of testing to track this down.

I'd strip it as far as you're able (gun and mags). Clean it thoroughly. Zap it with an air hose in those little crevices, if you're unable to remove the extractor completely. Lube it nicely. Mark your magazines and keep track of which issues occur with which magazines and which ammo. At some point, hopefully a clear pattern will emerge.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for all the ideas and help. Think I'll give it a good cleaning and mark the mags to see if it is a magazine issue. Thanks again!

A little attitude helps with limp wristing. Shoot angry and aggressively, lean into it. I do that if I suspect myself of letting the gun run the show.

If she still hangs, I'd rule your grip out.

Sponsored Links