Gun show coming up next weekend, looking for first carry weapon

This is a discussion on Gun show coming up next weekend, looking for first carry weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys and gals - I'm fairly new here to the forums, but have been "lurking" for a while and love the insight here! There's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gun show coming up next weekend, looking for first carry weapon

Hey guys and gals -

I'm fairly new here to the forums, but have been "lurking" for a while and love the insight here!

There's a gun show in my area next weekend, and for once I've actually got some money together to play with this time around. I plan on getting my concealed license here soon, and I am looking to pick up a good, reliable weapon for this purpose. I've already decided I want to take a look at a range of Glocks, the Springfield XDm and XDs, and some of the smaller, carry-oriented 1911 variants, but beyond that I'm really looking for other models to keep an eye out for. I used to own a full sized XD in .45, but regrettably sold it a few years back when cash was tight. I did enjoy the XD while I had it, but I'm by no means determined to buy another one without checking out some other models first. I'm a fairly large guy (6'1, 280ish) so the size/weight of the gun isn't a HUGE issue (as long as it can be concealed with relative ease). Any tips you guys can throw my way would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!
    -Ben
    ttyndall likes this.

Not sure how the supply is out your way, but it has been severely limited in many areas. Dony be dissapointed if you don't see what you want at a fair price. Based on what you mentioned check the S&W M&P series pistols. They are similar to glock and xd styles. Have fun gun shopping!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Welcome to the forum. I don't own any Glocks or XD's so I can't offer any suggestions there but I will suggest that you don't bring all your hard earned cash to that gun show. Take advantage of lots of guns under one roof to get a feel for all that's out there but buy it elsewhere for a better price. Unless you find someone willing to deal in the final few hours of the show chances are everything you see is going to be overpriced.
    Good luck.

...a Ruger P90 or P97 would be $350-400 if priced fairly, and very reliable...that'd be my first choice...

Yeah, I was kind of worried about the availability and price gouging that's going on now in the firearm world and will definitely be price conscious while there. I went to a few local gun shops a couple weekends ago and they were all cleared out on 90% of their handguns... It's crazy.

...I've found several clean Rugers in local pawn shops at good prices...you can buy two for what one new gun of some models sells for...

Go equipped with your smart phone. The last few gun shows I've attended were nearly a complete waste of time.. all prices were gouged to hell on ammo and firearms.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I will definitely look into the Rugers and check local pawn shops out to see what they've got.

I will be going with my Galaxy S3 equipped to check prices on the stuff. Even if the firearms are overpriced, I still need a replacement EDC knife. ;)

ruger fanboy here sr9c, sr40c, I conceal my fullsize sr40 just fine

Re: Gun show coming up next weekend, looking for first carry weapon

Nice phone! I have the G2 .. trying to decide being going with the Note2 or waiting on the G4.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I love my XD-S. For a .45 it is very concealable. I carry it in the 3:30-4:00 position IWB in a N82 Tactical holster.

VIP Member
    Check the prices on line at Buds, Cabelas and Gander Mt. Try and pick a couple of brands that you may consider and remember the prices or write them down in your smart phone. I would be concerned about the price gouging at the shows. BUT there may be a deal out there you just never know. as far as what gun for you, well there are a few threads here on the topic.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

So many options out there for a good carry gun, so much demand too. Gougers at shows for sure, I have carried two different XDs, great guns. I carry a Sig now, if you can find one, the new poly Sigs are well reviewed and priced right. I have noticed the Shield is a great price here as well...both under $400 on the shelves. It's like real estate, it's local. Most single stack compacts are gonzo the minute they hit the shelf. High cap higher dollar guns stay on the shelf a bit longer but I have seen plenty of Walthers, XDs and Shields lately around here.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

I'm partial to the Glocks and S&W M&P series. I've handled and fired the XDS too and was impressed with it. Nice shooting pistol in a very concealable size. I guess the main differentiating factor between those three would be their safeties. Glock having a trigger safety, M&P having a trigger safety and an option for a thumb safety and the XDS having a trigger and grip safety.

The Glock shoots well for me (Gen 4's have more comfort due to swappable backstraps) and it will run all kinds of ammo flawlessly (which is good now that ammo is scarce), the M&P compacts shot superbly for me and were very comfortable (I shot a 9mm). The XDS shot well for me. It was a bit rougher with recoil but not to the point that it wasn't manageable, but it is a .45 afterall.

VIP Member
    Get a Glock 19.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links