Kahr (and the like) safety question

This is a discussion on Kahr (and the like) safety question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the lack of a physical saftey. Can you old pros speak to that issue? Although ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr (and the like) safety question

Kahr (and the like) safety question

I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the lack of a physical saftey. Can you old pros speak to that issue?

Although my wheel gun has no safety and I'm fine with it. For some reason, the thought of a DAO pistol with no physical safety makes me uneasy.

2. Remove Ads

rmw
    Same thing a long stacking trigger pull "like a revolver" What I don't get is why everyone is so against a cocked and locked 1911 . I was just in a gunshop today that is totally against carrying a 1911 any other way than with the chamber empty . But I was told a Springfield XD is a great carry gun. The Springfield is cocked with the trigger safety and grip safety "but no thumb safety" so to me I don't see the XD as being any different than a CL series 80 1911 with the thumb safety off

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The glocks , xds , and kahrs all have pre tensioned strikers , the striker is held partly back by the "sear" which also serves as the cocking arm. the point they are held at is not enough spring pressure to pop a primer , they are all alike, and like your revolver : if your bugger hook ( or other appliance such as the hook on the stall door in the mens room ) pulls the bang switch they will fire . if not they wont . they are carry safe , drop safe , hell throw safe , as long as the trigger is not depressed . Suitable for " mexican carry " NOPE but then you shouldnt do that with any pistol anyway realisticly .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I had a Kahr K-9 for a while and now have a Glock. I treat them both the same. I keep my finger off the trigger until needed. The Kahr has a very long trigger pull, so its not like your going set it off real easy. Just use the safety between your ears.
    The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

First, carry the pistol with the trigger covered. Next, keep your finger off the trigger until you have the pistol "on target" and you are ready to fire the pistol you should be fine. Basically obey the basic gun safety rules.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    The glocks , xds , and kahrs all have pre tensioned strikers , the striker is held partly back by the "sear" which also serves as the cocking arm. the point they are held at is not enough spring pressure to pop a primer
    Not sure about Kahrs, but I am pretty sure the XD striker is at near-full cock (full cock for all intents and purposes) once the slide is cycled. It would have enough energy to detonate the primer, but of course you have the striker safety to prevent that (provided the trigger is not pulled).

Glock striker is partial-cock as you noted.

You're comfortable with a DA revolver. Why? Most likely you can see the hammer is down so there is no potential for the firing pin to impact the primer until you force the hammer back either by thumbing it back or you pulling the trigger.

With a DAO pistol you have nearly the exact same scenario. The hammer is down with almost no potential for the firing pin/striker to impact the primer until you cock it by pulling the trigger.

Allan - who's carried DAO with confidence, but now carries cocked-n-locked SA .45acp

the kahr and glock are safe as long you keep your fringer off the trigger. put your fringer on the trigger when it is time to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    With regard to Kahrs:

(1) Always carry the piece in a holster that fully covers the trigger;

(2) Pull (and handle) the piece with the trigger finger extended, against the receiver, spanning over the trigger and trigger guard, parallel (and under) with the barrel;

(3) Looong trigger pull is sort of the "safety"; and,

(4) After you practice some with it, you can really work the trigger well- - you can get kind of a single-action trigger feel by pulling that puppy back a tad after each discharge-- you can keep the trigger pulled back partially during the reset . This can easily be accomplished during the 200-round "break-in" period, which refers as much to you and the manual of arms as much as it does to the pistol's mechanical reliability.

Try it. It works. And it's great fun.

Every firearm has the same primary safety ... and it looks like this:

Keep your finger off the trigger. Unless you are firing. That's what I do with my Kahr MK9, some other semi-autos I own and my revolvers. Works fine for me.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Kahr

As the others before me have said. Simply keep your fniger OFF the trigger, until you are on target & ready to shoot. The gun is not going to fire, UNLESS the trigger is pulled, and the Kahr has anything but a hair trigger.

Thank you folks. All good and solid advice and appreciated too.

I haven't bought a new gun in almost 20 years (Sad, I know), and I am unacustomed to "Glock era" pistols. But the research and catching up on data is very enjoyable.

As above. Also, spend the $40-80 for a good holster (Bladetech "universal" kydex on one end, Mitch Rosen leather on the other ). Get comfortable handling whatever new striker-enable piece you choose at the range. I will all but guarantee, you will be more weapon-conscious than you have been in a looong time, carrying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Every firearm has the same primary safety ... and it looks like this:

That is very true. The Kahr will not fire unless the trigger is completely depressed to first disengage the passive firing pin block and then extend then release the striker. The design is perfectly safe unless you pull the trigger. Just keep your finger off of the trigger!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links