Do people handle a gun differently when a manual safety is on?

This is a discussion on Do people handle a gun differently when a manual safety is on? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While at work during my 2nd year of college (prior to getting into holster making), most of us in the shop were talking about concealed ...

View Poll Results: Do you handle your handgun differently when you think the safety is on?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.90%
  • No

67 97.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Do people handle a gun differently when a manual safety is on?

Sponsor

While at work during my 2nd year of college (prior to getting into holster making), most of us in the shop were talking about concealed carry. (75% of us carried at the time). One of our co-workers drew his concealed carry handgun, A Springfield XD, and was telling us why he loved it. He proceeded to hold the gun out one handed in a fire position, and sweep the ENTIRE room. , ever single one of us, at eye level! He said while doing this "The best part about this gun is that I know its completely safe until I pull the trigger"........I was shocked, two of us ducked and asked him what the heck he was thinking flagging us with a LOADED gun. He immediately got defensive saying "I know what I'm doing, my finger wasn't on the trigger so it was completely safe".

This is just one experience I had where someone used the safety features of a gun to justify dangerous weapons handling. In a recent thread I started about safety while holstering, I had multiple replies saying that it was not a concern to them because they ALWAYS made sure the manual safety was on when holstering a handgun. I'm not sure if this is what they meant, but it seems they were saying that because the "know" the safety is on they handle the firearm differently (as in they are willing to break the 4 basic rules of gun safety).

So I'm wondering, do you handle your gun differently when you think the safety is engaged?

-Clay

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    He's an idiot, stay away from him.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Sponsor
    I don't handle a gun differently, mechanical safeties are no substitute for proper weapons handling.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    He's an idiot, stay away from him.
    Me and another co-worker had a very serious conversation with him. I never felt comfortable around him with firearms after that point.

I do not. To me, any safety is to fall back on, not to completely rely on.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    I don't handle guns differently period. Even when I'm doing rack/tap and reload drills with snap caps and I "know" that the gun cannot fire. I still keep the weapon pointed in a direction where I know, were it to discharge, it would only succeed in messing up my pants. The guy is a walking firearms accident waiting to happen, plan to be somewhere else when it does!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Are you sure he has a CHL??? No one would ever pull a gun out like that if he did have a CHL. Man is crazy so keep away from him.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction.
    Guess he never heard of this safety rule and sure sounds like he could use some training. I sure wouldn't want to be around him when he has a gun.

VIP Member
    A safety is a man-made mechanical device and if it fails it will be at the most inopportune time. I handle all firearms in the same no manner whether they are loaded or not or if they have a safety or not.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

To OP: The 4 basic rule of gun safety... That should be enough to shut your friend up.
    Last edited by Goat_Herder; February 28th, 2013 at 01:10 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Train as you fight. If you practice sloppy, you will reinforce sloppy habits. It isn't a sport that looks kindly upon second chances.
    Rule #1!
    sensei2 and Tzadik like this.

I roll no safety. So ya your co-worker is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    Are you sure he has a CHL??? No one would ever pull a gun out like that if he did have a CHL. Man is crazy so keep away from him.
    Why do you think that? Background checks don't check for IQ or common sense.

OT: I treat every firearm the same way and use the 4 rules of safety
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I learned the basic rules of firearms safety as a kid back in the mid 50s and still abid by them. The OPs "friend" is a total idiot and an accident waiting to happen! He should not be allowed out in public with a firearm, a knife, a bat, or a sharp stick!!!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

One ounce of weapons handling safety is worth more than 4.5 pounds of trigger pull.
    J.W. S. 3
    1SG, U.S. Army (Retired)

Many, many, too darned many firearms and related accessories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links